Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-22-2019, 06:24 PM   #1
Gadget_girl
Connoisseur
Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: Aura HD Espresso, Sony PRS-650
Replacing Kobo Aura HD get another Kobo or a kindle?

Oops. Dropped my Kobo aura HD on the floor. Screen isn't working right, so now I'm in the market for a new ereader. I use it almost daily. I use calibre to organize and load my books. My library uses overdrive, so compatibility with that would be a must. I've been happily using this for almost 6 years, so I don't know what the competition is out there.
Gadget_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:26 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Sounds like getting another Kobo would be your best bet. Bonus, new Kobos have better Overdrive integration.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 05-22-2019 at 09:02 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2019, 08:54 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget_girl View Post
I use calibre to organize and load my books. My library uses overdrive, so compatibility with that would be a must...
makes me wonder what appeal a Kindle would have.

Getting another Kobo seems to be your best bet, due to Kobo interacting so well with Calibre and the Overdrive integration.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:08 PM   #4
Gadget_girl
Connoisseur
Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: Aura HD Espresso, Sony PRS-650
I could with some effort probably convert and sideload books using calibre onto the kindle. I thought perhaps in the last 5 years kindle might have added overdrive functionality. The only appeal is that a friend who reads very little has one, that she was offering to me at a discount

So, I'm torn between the Kobo forma and the Aura H20. Is the larger screen worth the extra $100? The Clara is too small, and I liked the screen size on the Aura HD, it was fine. I've heard the Aura H20 is an older model and I'm wondering how much of a concern that is?

Last edited by Gadget_girl; 05-22-2019 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Added details
Gadget_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:04 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I could with some effort probably convert and sideload books using calibre onto the kindle. I thought perhaps in the last 5 years kindle might have added overdrive functionality.
I don't own a Kindle, just Nooks and Kobos. I've played with relatives Kindles, but that's about it.

But I CAN say that comparing the Nook and Kobo software, I like Kobos a lot more. I appreciate Kobo's ability to reassign touch zones, create collections using tags in Calibre and display series info in the library. Nook can't do that.

And from what I've seen and read on these forums, Kindle seems like it's missing features that even the Nook has, like the ability to read a book's synopsis without having to open it.

Quote:
The only appeal is that a friend who reads very little has one, that she was offering to me at a discount.
Depending on how cheap it is, it might still be a good deal. I prefer Kobo's software to Nook or Kindle, but honestly, all three are still good readers.

Can Kindles access Overdrive in Canada?

Is it possible you could borrow the Kindle to see what you think of it?

Quote:
I've heard the Aura H20 is an older model and I'm wondering how much of a concern that is?
My original 6" Aura still get updates and run the latest firmware. Both H2Os get them as well. The H2O2 has a carta screen. I don't think you have to worry about buying an H2O.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 05-22-2019 at 11:17 PM.
Advert
Old 05-22-2019, 11:15 PM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Overdrive on Kindle suck... you need to have an account & go to Amazon web site to DL ebooks.

I Highly suggest Kobo Clara HD.

BTW I current have both the Kobo Clara & Kindle PW4... I use the Overdrive library on Both!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:25 PM   #7
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

Can Kindles access Overdrive in Canada?

Nope.

https://help.overdrive.com/customer/...ticles/1482564

Quote:
Kindle Books

You can read Kindle Books on any Kindle device or Kindle reading app.
Kindle Books are only available to borrow from U.S. libraries and schools.
They work just like any other Kindle Book from Amazon, but they expire at the end of your lending period like any library ebook.
Learn how to borrow Kindle Books from your library (U.S. only).
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:36 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I could with some effort probably convert and sideload books using calibre onto the kindle. I thought perhaps in the last 5 years kindle might have added overdrive functionality. The only appeal is that a friend who reads very little has one, that she was offering to me at a discount
Kindle ereaders do have the ability to borrow library books if the library supports it which is only from some libraries in the USA. Canadian librarians do not have much liking for having the customer have to head over to Amazon's site to download the ebooks and the cost is much higher per borrow. Ask your local library's privacy officer about the privacy issues -- they don't like handing any information about patrons over without a court order.

Quote:
So, I'm torn between the Kobo forma and the Aura H20. Is the larger screen worth the extra $100? The Clara is too small, and I liked the screen size on the Aura HD, it was fine. I've heard the Aura H20 is an older model and I'm wondering how much of a concern that is?
The H2O you would be buying now would be a H2O v2 (aka H2O2 or the Peroxide ) which is a replacement for the original H20. I've used one a couple of times and it was very nice. As for the Forma? I liked it enough to buy one. Sadly, I only owned it for a couple of hours before my wife "borrowed" it so I'm back to my Aura One as my main ereader with a Clara HD for travel since it fits in a jacket pocket.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:41 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The H2O you would be buying now would be a H2O v2 (aka H2O2 or the Peroxide ) which is a replacement for the original H20.
That should be H2O Edition 2. But, there are two versions, so it would be the H2O2v2 that would be available.
Quote:
I've used one a couple of times and it was very nice. As for the Forma? I liked it enough to buy one. Sadly, I only owned it for a couple of hours before my wife "borrowed" it
I think mine lasted a week. Though I actually bought it thinking it would be good for her (though I don't know if she believed me (it would have been helpful if I believed me)).
Quote:
so I'm back to my Aura One as my main ereader with a Clara HD for travel since it fits in a jacket pocket.
I'm swapping between the Aura ONE (that my wife graciously gave back to me) and the Clara HD. But, tending more to the latter at the moment because it is easier for my commute. It fits in my pocket much better.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:02 AM   #10
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Kindle ereaders do have the ability to borrow library books if the library supports it which is only from some libraries in the USA. Canadian librarians do not have much liking for having the customer have to head over to Amazon's site to download the ebooks and the cost is much higher per borrow. Ask your local library's privacy officer about the privacy issues -- they don't like handing any information about patrons over without a court order.

The H2O you would be buying now would be a H2O v2 (aka H2O2 or the Peroxide ) which is a replacement for the original H20. I've used one a couple of times and it was very nice. As for the Forma? I liked it enough to buy one. Sadly, I only owned it for a couple of hours before my wife "borrowed" it so I'm back to my Aura One as my main ereader with a Clara HD for travel since it fits in a jacket pocket.
What's the difference between going to Amazon's site to download the book and going to Kobo's site to download the books? Or doesn't the Overdrive integration work in Canada? I could have sworn it did?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:28 AM   #11
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
What's the difference between going to Amazon's site to download the book and going to Kobo's site to download the books? Or doesn't the Overdrive integration work in Canada? I could have sworn it did?

Shari
OverDrive integration does work in Canada, which means you can borrow the book from the device itself and not have to go to the library site on a browser and then download via Amazon.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:59 AM   #12
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
To my knowledge, the Kobo/Overdrive integration has had no effect on library book prices in Canada.

Which is a good thing, as the prices are already sky-high to begin with. I'm not a huge fan of government intervention, but I think government intervention may be necessary in this case.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:12 PM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:

Shari
Caveat: I don't use Overdrive at all.

But from what I've seen, on a Kobo, Overdrive is integrated into the reader, so you can get a borrowed book directly on the device without need of visiting a website. It is as easy as getting a book from the Kobo store.

A Kobo/Overdrive user can correct me if I am wrong.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:44 PM   #14
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Caveat: I don't use Overdrive at all.

But from what I've seen, on a Kobo, Overdrive is integrated into the reader, so you can get a borrowed book directly on the device without need of visiting a website. It is as easy as getting a book from the Kobo store.

A Kobo/Overdrive user can correct me if I am wrong.
I understand all this...I was addressing this part of what DNSB said:
Quote:
Canadian librarians do not have much liking for having the customer have to head over to Amazon's site to download the ebooks and the cost is much higher per borrow. Ask your local library's privacy officer about the privacy issues -- they don't like handing any information about patrons over without a court order.
I was pointing out that when someone borrows a book from Overdrive in Canada on their Kobo, the book does not come from the library site, but from the Kobo website. Therefore, it's no different from the way that Amazon does it, in terms of privacy.

It's actually almost worse in terms of privacy, since the parent company of Kobo also owns Overdrive, so any person that uses Overdrive anywhere has the potential to have their information handed over to Rakuten (Kobo's parent company).

Note that I'm not saying that this is happening, but it has the potential to happen, and is just as likely to be happening as the possibility that Amazon is mining the information about library users in the US who read Overdrive books on their Kindles.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:59 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
The Overdrive integration does work here in Canada but for whatever reason, the Overdrive/Kobo implementation does not have the same stigma for the privacy mavens (an American owned company compared to Japanese owned companies? Differences in corporate privacy policies? No need to worry about the American courts and their belief that American laws should apply everywhere?) Great Ghu alone knows.

I don't need to go to Kobo's website in a browser to complete the borrowing process. The book is automagically synced to my ereader whether I borrow through the library website, browsing on my ereader or using the Overdrive application on whatever device I'm using it on.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote