Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 03-12-2024, 09:54 AM   #1
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
TOC's in audiobooks

I have (re)started with audiobooks. I discovered that listening to an audiobook in bed and not doing anything else can give a new dimension to the book, especially if it is a good narrator.
My Danish supplier af audiobooks deliver the books as a large number of MP3 files. They have an app that somehow is good enough, but there is no TOC. A TOC is important when you want to both listen to the book and read the book normally on my ereader.
I have contacted the supplier but not yet received an answer.
Is there a not too complicated way to add a TOC to a bunch of MP3 files? Is that the purpose of m4b files?
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 10:01 AM   #2
sgmoore
Enthusiast
sgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm not an expert, but since no-one else is replying I will share my experience.

Firstly, I assume you are looking for chapter information, as in the attached screenshot.

If so, then m4b files are not the only file format that supports this, and in fact I have seen one of two mp3 which did have embedded chapter information, but this is unusual.

There are some apps/players that can work out the chapter information from multiple mp3 files based on the file name. BookPlayer tries to do this, but they still recommend using M4B. See https://github.com/TortugaPower/BookPlayer/wiki/FAQ for more details.

That page also recommends a few programs that can convert mp3 to m4b files.

For example, on windows I have used AudioBookConverter to convert multiple mp3 files to a m4b which I have transferred to my Ipad and play using apple's Book app.

There are a few issues this program. It looks like if you change any of the settings, you need to exit the program and reload before they take affect. Also the current version has an annoying bug which asks if you want to download a new version, despite there being no newer version. But it works once I had it configured, all I need to do is add the files and start the conversion process and it can work out the chapter details itself.

There are also advanced features in this program that I don't use, but it is possible to amend the chapter details, e.g. to add the name of a chapter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0062_smaller (Small).png
Views:	32
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	206870  
sgmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 09:12 AM   #3
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you very much for your reply. I will try the AudioBookConverter.
Old 03-14-2024, 10:58 AM   #4
svenlind
Fanatic

Well I tried the AudioBookConverter. And it can convert a number of MP3 files to one M4B file, and it will also add chapters like those in the screenshot above.

I have however bought an IOS app "MP3 Audiobook Player" it will also accept the MP3 files and make a similar TOC.
The app will also accept the M4B file from AudioBookConverter, and will also accept a zip-file containing all the MP3-files.

Transfer is via iTunes.

I don't know if the chapters are the same as in an ebook, because I don't have both versions.
Old 03-14-2024, 02:53 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
Well I tried the AudioBookConverter. And it can convert a number of MP3 files to one M4B file, and it will also add chapters like those in the screenshot above.

I have however bought an IOS app "MP3 Audiobook Player" it will also accept the MP3 files and make a similar TOC.
The app will also accept the M4B file from AudioBookConverter, and will also accept a zip-file containing all the MP3-files.

Transfer is via iTunes.

I don't know if the chapters are the same as in an ebook, because I don't have both versions.
I've tried MP3 Audiobook Player. I much prefer BookPlayer. BookPlayer also handles M4B, M4A, and MP3.

In order to get a proper ToC, each MP3 file has to be a full chapter. Some MP3 audiobooks are not one chapter equals one file.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 07:34 AM   #6
svenlind
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've tried MP3 Audiobook Player. I much prefer BookPlayer. BookPlayer also handles M4B, M4A, and MP3.

In order to get a proper ToC, each MP3 file has to be a full chapter. Some MP3 audiobooks are not one chapter equals one file.
Well. I tried Bookplayer. It is IMO about the same as MP3 Audiobook Player.
There is one difference though. If you send a zip-file containing all the MP3 files of the book then BookPlayer will give an entry in the libray for each MP3 file. A single book will then give maybe 50 entries in the library.
The MP3 Audiobook Player will give only one entry in the library.
Both apps can handle M4B files.