Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 10:59 AM   #1
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Online book club?

Hi everyone,

So last night I was updating my husband on the latest at MobileRead (I'm his never ending source for all ebook news, despite the fact that he's only marginally interested in ebooks...it's just his lot in life ).

Anyway, I mentioned that Bob and I might try reading a book at the same time, and told my husband that I had posted a thread inviting others to do so as well.

He said to me, "Oh, like an online book club?". I hadn't thought of it that way, but it got me thinking. My sister in law has been in a book club for ages--they read one agreed-upon book per month, and then meet once a month to discuss it (and they also eat all kinds of delicious foodstuffs while they discuss, which is irrelevant, since we're on a message board ).

I started wondering if there's ever been anything similar tried here on MobileRead, and if not, whether there would be any interest in starting one. I would love to do it...and it could be as simple as a couple of threads...one for choosing the book each month, and one for discussing the book after we're done reading it.

If there's enough interest, I'd be more than happy to kind of organize it and get the ball rolling. Let me know!
Old 10-09-2008, 05:35 PM   #2
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
I'd definitely be interested, even if I couldn't always participate!
Advert
Old 10-09-2008, 05:43 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Sounds like fun.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:54 PM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I haven't been a member of MobileRead long enough to know whether or not this has been tried here. But, we certainly do this on my book swapping forum. There are a couple of "read-alongs" going on over there right now.

I like the idea and find that including a book club book is a great way to motivate myself to read something that is not my usual genre. If it becomes popular, I'd suggest running one with a classic downloadable from MobileRead and maybe another with a contemporary novel -- and I hope it would be one available for a reasonable price in the major formats.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:05 PM   #5
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I'd be interested
Advert
Old 10-09-2008, 07:15 PM   #6
rab46
rab46 began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise e1150
You could count me in.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:16 PM   #7
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Lemme know if something gets organized. I'm in.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:43 AM   #8
Kokomo Lee
Keeps on Ticking...
Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindles, iStuff, Nexus and a partridge
Smile Re: Online Book Club

I would be interested!
Old 10-10-2008, 10:23 AM   #9
izmi
A little bit crazy.
izmi began at the beginning.

Device: Asus F80S.
Sounds like a cool idea to me. Might get me reading outside my comfort zone, which I like to do, but rarely actually do.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:31 AM   #10
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I'd be interested.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:18 AM   #11
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Count me in, Just make sure the choices are available for all devices. I am not gonna read on my laptop when i have a perfectly good Sony! Unless the duck will lend me her Kindle.

JJ
Old 10-10-2008, 11:44 AM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
Count me in, Just make sure the choices are available for all devices. I am not gonna read on my laptop when i have a perfectly good Sony! Unless the duck will lend me her Kindle.

JJ
Old 10-10-2008, 11:45 AM   #13
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Excellent! I think we'll have enough interested folks to get the ball rolling!

I'd like to propose starting each new book on the 1st of each month, and then opening a discussion thread at the start of the 4th week of the month. This will give folks three weeks to read, and we can then have one week of open discussion.

Also in the 4th week of the month, I propose opening a discussion thread for the upcoming month's book, so that we can choose together and discuss potential choices.

As far as book choices...as jerryleejr mentioned, I think we should select books that are available in most, if not all, formats; and I also think it might be wise to choose books that are reasonably affordable (maybe we could consider capping it at no more than $10 per book?), so that more folks can participate.

I'll start a new, official MobileRead book club thread for November's book, and I'll also PM a moderator to see if we can get each month's Book Club threads posted as "sticky" for that month.

Please let me know if you all have suggestions or constructive criticisms...I'd really like this to be great experience for everyone!

Joanne
Old 10-10-2008, 02:08 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
I am not gonna read on my laptop when i have a perfectly good Sony!
JJ
On your profile it says you device is "THE KINNY". Does that mean Kindle? If so perhaps you should correct your profile.

BOb
Old 10-10-2008, 02:17 PM   #15
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
One option would be to use books uploaded here. There are a lot of really good works in the pile. At least for some of the months, anyway.
Closed Thread