Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 07:01 PM   #76
Big Shirley
Enthusiast
Big Shirley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Galaxy S, Nook Color, Sony PRS-950
Way more fiction than non-fiction

Only 5 from the board in non-fiction and 19 from the board selections in fiction. I didn't read the other side. I agree with earlier posters Ayn Rand?!
Big Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:14 AM   #77
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
By my count I had read pretty much zero of the non-fiction list. Although I've read large pieces of W.E.B. DuBois, Booker T Washington, etc in my various African American history classes, along with some pieces of the other ones here and there.

In the fiction list, it was 3: Grapes of Wrath, Lord of the Flies and Call of the Wild - all in high school 10+ years ago.

I'm a sci-fi/fantasy reader, mostly, and only read normal "fiction" once in a while.

The reader's lists are a mixed bag. Battlefield Earth? Seriously? I can almost see Ender's Game..
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #78
Paegan2246
Connoisseur
Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Touch, iPod Touch, 3-160GB iPod classics
I've read Battle Cry Freedom, the Shelby Foote and Barbara Tuchman books on the list. Most of the rest I have never even heard of. But most of my non-fiction books tend to be history, natural sciences or biographies. Philosophy and the humanities have never held much interest for me. Does that make me a Philistine?
Paegan2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:03 AM   #79
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
The reader’s poll for the best nonfiction published in the English language since 1900 opened on April 29, 1999 and closed on September 30, 1999 with a total of 194,829 votes cast.
http://www.modernlibrary.com/top-100/
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:32 PM   #80
captcrouton
Connoisseur
captcrouton has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2
I found the list here more compelling, and free...

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread435830/pg1
captcrouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 06:05 PM   #81
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Frankly I don't have too high of an opinion on either side of the non-fiction list. Too many gaping holes, too much opinion. (Is opinion fiction or non-fiction?)

No Durant's The History of Civilization?
No Asimov collection of science essays?
No Spengler?
No The Way Things Work
No good books on ... Paleontology, Biology, molecular biology, mathematics...
Ect...
Ditto. There is some nasty stuff on those lists.
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:07 AM   #82
BreezyDay
12 Miles and Climbing
BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: none
Only 4 of them and I've been reading mostly non-fiction the past few years.

__________________________________________________ __________________
Kindle Edition of Outsmart the Unexpected (Unusual edge-of-your-seat dilemmas to solve your way out of)
Resources for improving your ability to Think on Your Feet
BreezyDay is offline   Reply With Quote