Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-09-2010, 04:01 PM   #31
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
About Virginia Woolf:
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
See bolding above...me too! That is, I loved it, a favourite, and also thoroughly enjoyed the television adaptation I saw of it too...can't rememeber the details of who starred in it, but it was great. I'm somewhat disappointed to hear you hate her fiction, only because I've been meaning for a long time to try it.
Marc, YMMV. I have a friend who loves her fiction. For me, I get bored when there's a lot of long emotive passages. I hate a lot of popular literary authors (Toni Morrison springs to mind).

If you like literary fiction, you might really like her fiction.

On another note, I *have* read Strunk & White from beginning to end, several times. But it sounds crazy when I say that.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:12 PM   #32
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I recently read Mr. Dalloway, from his point-of-view on the day of the party ... at which his dude-on-the-side makes an appearance. The daughter and the dog were the best characters.

As for non-fiction, the list is largely books I would sooner avoid!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2010, 05:05 PM   #33
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Regarding both the Readers' lists: I can believe that there are a lot of objectivists who are readers and therefore voters, but I find it hard to believe that there are so many Scientologists.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:15 PM   #34
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Oh yes! They reach and work to do exactly this sort of thing either actually or via deceptive means (voting fraud etc.).
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:56 PM   #35
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I don't know what the criteria was for inclusion on the lists or who did the voting, but there are too many excellent non-fiction books who should have been included on that list that weren't for me to take it seriously.

I'm guessing that the fact that those of us on this board - who are definitely readers - have read so few of them is a telling review of it.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2010, 06:03 PM   #36
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I don't know what the criteria was for inclusion on the lists or who did the voting, but there are too many excellent non-fiction books who should have been included on that list that weren't for me to take it seriously.

I'm guessing that the fact that those of us on this board - who are definitely readers - have read so few of them is a telling review of it.
An interesting question would be, how many of the books on the list do you WANT to read?

I came up with less than 10 that I had even mild interest in reading.

Last edited by doreenjoy; 10-09-2010 at 06:04 PM. Reason: grammar matters
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:27 PM   #37
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I'm embarrassed to say I haven't read any of them. Four of them are on my to read list though.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:47 PM   #38
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Only four, I think, all from the Board's List (although one of these is on both lists):

THE MISMEASURE OF MAN by Stephen Jay Gould

THE RIGHT STUFF by Tom Wolfe

OUT OF AFRICA by Isak Dinesen

WEST WITH THE NIGHT by Beryl Markham
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #39
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Oops I missed one. I have read The Right Stuff.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:29 PM   #40
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Frankly I don't have too high of an opinion on either side of the non-fiction list. Too many gaping holes, too much opinion. (Is opinion fiction or non-fiction?)

No Durant's The History of Civilization?
No Asimov collection of science essays?
No Spengler?
No The Way Things Work
No good books on ... Paleontology, Biology, molecular biology, mathematics...
Ect...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:28 AM   #41
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's a very odd list indeed. "Battlefield Earth" is a decent enough "space opera" SF novel, but I seriously cannot imagine it being in the top 3 of anyone's reading list.
Agree...it may be one of Hubbard's top three, or not, and maybe not in my top 100 SF reading list for that matter, but it's a very fun novel which the movie only made look horrible.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:30 AM   #42
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Based on those lists I feel like a total "Bubba Bo-tard" having only read these works:

DIANETICS:THE MODERN SCIENCE OF MENTAL HEALTH (I just had to see wtf it was about)
PRINCIPIA MATHEMATICA (took me three years to work through the math which is the only way to read it...)
THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF ALICE B. TOKLAS
OUT OF AFRICA oops!!
THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF MARK TWAIN
LONGITUDE
A MATHEMATICIAN’S APOLOGY
IN COLD BLOOD

But maybe it just shows how many truly wonderful works there are out there...and oddly many of the older works are still relevant today. Perhaps that is what makes them great to begin with?

Last edited by brecklundin; 10-12-2010 at 02:39 AM. Reason: missed a couple
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:05 AM   #43
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post

But maybe it just shows how many truly wonderful works there are out there...and oddly many of the older works are still relevant today. Perhaps that is what makes them great to begin with?

I think this is true. The list in the link is just two examples of the "best" 100, many other such lists exist.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:43 AM   #44
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
On the Board's List I read 2:

The Elements of Style
The Autobiography of Malcolm X

Both are good books. One is a little lighter reading than the other.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #45
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
The only one I've read of that lot is longitude by Dava Sobel, an excellent read and one of the few history books to have a connection with Only Fools and Horses!
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote