Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-20-2010, 02:47 PM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I now know the answer (Paul having kindly explained it to me by PM), but I wouldn't have got this myself in a million years. Logic, probability, etc, I can do. When it comes to puzzles like this I just have a complete mental "blind spot".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:52 PM   #17
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I now know the answer (Paul having kindly explained it to me by PM), but I wouldn't have got this myself in a million years. Logic, probability, etc, I can do. When it comes to puzzles like this I just have a complete mental "blind spot".
Then just for HarryT, the next one will be a probability puzzle. I promise it'll be simpler than the Tuesday Boys one. But perhaps just as surprising...
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #18
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
What is the next number in this sequence?

Answers in spoiler tags as usual, please.

I found this puzzle while wandering various puzzle pages, but I can no longer remember which web page was the one where I first found it.
ok, i am posting my answer to this before reading any clues or spoiler tags ! i am not sure i'm right but the answer jumped out at me so i'm taking a chance...

Spoiler:

my answer : the next number should be 1113213211
starting from the second line, each line of numbers describes the line of numbers above it, giving the quantity of each digit present, in order, reading from left to right.

now, off to read all the spoiler tags and see if i'm right.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #19
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I am the exact opposite, Harry. Logic and probability drive me crazy, because I always question everything with a "what if" or a "yes, but" as I try to figure it out, then I get lost in the reasoning.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #20
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
woohoo ! having now read all the spoiler tags, most notably dreams' (who pushed her answer a lot further than i did !) i am pretty confident that i've got the right answer. excellent puzzle pdurrant ! thank you !

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 06-20-2010 at 03:01 PM.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2010, 03:11 PM   #21
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
woohoo ! having now read all the spoiler tags, most notably dreams' (who pushed her answer a lot further than i did !) i am pretty confident that i've got the right answer. excellent puzzle pdurrant ! thank you !
Yes, you got the answer too, and expressed the solution in pretty much exactly the words I'll use tomorrow. Congratulations!
Old 06-21-2010, 07:14 AM   #22
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
What is the next number in this sequence?

The next number is:
Spoiler:

It might be clearer if I wrote the numbers in a slightly different way:

12 11
11 12 21
31 22 11
13 11 22 21
11 13 21 32 11

and even clearer (for English speakers) if I add more spaces and some commas and 's's:

1 1
2 1s
1 2, 1 1
1 1, 1 2, 2 1s
3 1s, 2 2s, 1 1
1 3, 1 1, 2 2s, 2 1s
1 1, 1 3, 2 1s, 3 2s, 1 1

yes - each number (after the first) is a description of the previous number:

Congratulations to those who got it.