Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #46
Julian Smart
Enthusiast
Julian Smart will become famous soon enoughJulian Smart will become famous soon enoughJulian Smart will become famous soon enoughJulian Smart will become famous soon enoughJulian Smart will become famous soon enoughJulian Smart will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Well, css parser would definitifly be good. One of the main reason i'm using sigil.

An other anoyance i have with jutho, is the way it sets syle.
I would like to have

p
{
// whatever's neeeded
}

in the css

and <p>fsdf sdfsdf sdfsdfsdf</p> in the html

rather than
.p_normal
{
// whatever's needed
}

and <p class="p_normal" >fsdf sdfsdf sdfsdfsdf</p>

Oh, and a "remove unused style" would be dammed useful.
Good point, removing unused styles is on my to-do list.

Re. the class name in p tags, is there any particular reason for this given that most of the time you're not going to see the HTML anyway, and if you have more than one paragraph style in use (rather likely) then there will have to be class names? I can't imagine many files where there's only one paragraph style in use.

Julian
Julian Smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:50 AM   #47
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Smart View Post

Re. the class name in p tags, is there any particular reason for this given that most of the time you're not going to see the HTML anyway, and if you have more than one paragraph style in use (rather likely) then there will have to be class names? I can't imagine many files where there's only one paragraph style in use.

Julian
Personally I seldom use p styles and when I do they will override the generic p CSS without styles so if all have classes then the override won't work. That is the power of CSS. I guess it depends on how the files get used, and how much code level editing needs to happen.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 08:56 AM   #48
Insalata
Zealot
Insalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Sage, iPad
I'm still struggling with embedding fonts - at the moment I'm concentrating on the basic characters, not refinements like small caps.

I followed the instructions in the help file, and the fonts are included in my resources folder, but it seems to be pretty hit and miss whether they show up in the document or not. Typically, they'll show if I view the file in calibre, Jutoh or Sigil, but not Sony Reader, Adobe Reader or on my Sony PRS-T1. Some fonts, but not all seem to show OK on Bluefire or iBooks on my iPhone.

The health check in Jutoh doesn't show any problem, but when I open the file in Sigil, the validation has error messages like:
Quote:
The <item> element's "media-type" attribute has value "font/truetype", but the file's media type is "application/x-font-ttf".
(Or .otf, or whatever.) I can change the value in Jutoh to match what the Sigil checker expects, and that stops the error messages, but it doesn't seem to change the behaviour.

I suspect there's something in the css that isn't exactly right, and that some of the readers are more forgiving than others. I think too, that I haven't yet seen a font work on a device where it wasn't already installed - for instance, I experimented with Zapfino, because you don't need to look very hard to see if it's worked or not. That worked on my iPhone readers, but Zapfino is an iOS system font. Linotype Didot didn't work on the phone apps.

I might be able to wade through the css and sort it out, but if I end up having to do that manually, there isn't much point in using a nice front end like Jutoh.

I'm using a Mac, if that makes any difference.
Insalata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #49
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Sony Reader, Adobe Reader or on my Sony PRS-T1
All these readers use the Adobe engine, which is known to ignore a css file that has errors, which may be unrelated to your fontface statements. Offhand I can't think of a stylesheet validator - perhaps someone can point us to such?

Perhaps you can show us your css file (if it is not too big) and then we can eyeball it in lieu of a validator.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:31 AM   #50
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Our wiki is your friend. The CSS entry shows http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #51
Insalata
Zealot
Insalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it is

Thank you. I'm just creating a test document rather than playing all the time with a file that has a full length novel in it. I'll run the css through the validator and see what comes out.

I've noticed that the font names that appear in the css file are the file name rather than the font nam. The drop down font selector has the right name, but not the window showing the embedded font properties, which shows "DidotLTPro-Roman" instead of "Didot LH RomanSC." I don't know if that's causing a problem, but I'll check it out if the other stuff doesn't fix it.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #52
Insalata
Zealot

Well, that produced a nice collection of errors:

Spoiler:
2 Value Error : font-family Property font-family doesn't exist in CSS level 2.1 but exists in [css1, css2, css3] : "LinotypeDidot RomanSC"
3 Property src doesn't exist : url(fonts/LinotypeDidot RomanSC )
6 Value Error : font-family Property font-family doesn't exist in CSS level 2.1 but exists in [css1, css2, css3] : "Didot LT Pro Italic"
7 Value Error : font-style Property font-style doesn't exist in CSS level 2.1 but exists in [css1, css2, css3] : italic
8 Value Error : font-weight Property font-weight doesn't exist in CSS level 2.1 but exists in [css1, css2, css3] : normal
9 Property src doesn't exist : url(../Fonts/DidotLTPro-Italic.otf)
12 Value Error : font-family Property font-family doesn't exist in CSS level 2.1 but exists in [css1, css2, css3] : "Didot LT Pro Roman"
13 Value Error : font-style Property font-style doesn't exist in CSS level 2.1 but exists in [css1, css2, css3] : normal
14 Value Error : font-weight Property font-weight doesn't exist in CSS level 2.1 but exists in [css1, css2, css3] : normal
15 Property src doesn't exist : url(../Fonts/DidotLTPro-Roman.otf)
18 Value Error : font-family Property font-family doesn't exist in CSS level 2.1 but exists in [css1, css2, css3] : "AppleGothic"
19 Value Error : font-style Property font-style doesn't exist in CSS level 2.1 but exists in [css1, css2, css3] : normal
20 Value Error : font-weight Property font-weight doesn't exist in CSS level 2.1 but exists in [css1, css2, css3] : normal
21 Property src doesn't exist : url(../Fonts/AppleGothic.ttf)

It doesn't help that Jutoh produces a very long css file, full of styles I'm not using, which makes it harder to spot what's going on with the ones I am using. Given the amount of clean up that's needed to make it work, it looks as if creating the css myself in the first place would be just as easy, which is a shame, because I really liked the idea of not having to delve into all that stuff!

The first couple of errors are because the font was PS not ttf or off, so I just need to find an alternative.

I haven't worked out yet how to fix the css1, css2, css3 comments but I'm sure I'll get there.

I'm puzzled by the "Property src doesn't exist : url(../Fonts/DidotLTPro-Roman.otf)" &c because as far as I can see, the path and the filename match what's there .

It's like finding myself back in 1985 trying to do word processing before they invented WYSISYG. As long as I don't have to go back to DOS!

Last edited by Insalata; 11-07-2011 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Adding info.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:21 PM   #53
Insalata
Zealot

I've removed the incompatible font, and realised that the reason the checker thought my font files weren't where they were supposed to be is that I stuck just the .css file online to get a link to submit for checking - so that's not a real problem.

So the errors that are left are all: "Property font-family doesn't exist in CSS level 2.1 but exists in [css1, css2, css3]"

It now seems that the Didot fonts are displaying properly in Adobe and Sony Readers, but not the AppleGothic one, which I was only using for one character that I liked as a section separator.

Thanks for your help.

The problem seemed to be with the font naming - picking up the info from FontBook and editing the css sheet in Sigil fixed it. I'm not sure if that's because the fonts I picked were awkward, or if it's a general problem.

Last edited by Insalata; 11-09-2011 at 04:19 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #54
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Nice

Quote:
True. But there is one style that is useed 90% of the time. The style that define "normal" text. Hence the idea of having some kind of default.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #55
nounlu
nounlu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
TOC Problems

Hello,

I am having some problems with table of contents. When I go to a chapter by selecting from the table of contents, chapter name has no style. But if I navigate to that page by just going through the pages, style shows properly. What am I doing wrong??

Thanks

TOC

ImageShack.us

ImageShack.us

Last edited by nounlu; 12-20-2011 at 05:44 PM.
nounlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:45 PM   #56
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
There are (at least) two ways to solve this. One is to make each chapter a new file, and use the file-name as the link URL. The other is to make sure your anchor comes before the header tag. Liz Castro's HTML book often uses <h2><a id = "chap03">Chapter 3</a></h2> -- which causes this problem for some html parsers, I think. Try using <a id="chap03" /><h2>"Chapter 3"</h2> - I'm not sure of this second way because I have always made each chapter a separate file.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #57
nounlu

Thank you for your response. I already have each chapter in a separate file. I am using jutoh so I don't think there is a way to edit html. I may have to create that book and extract the html and repack.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #58
nounlu

You were right. Anchor was between the style span and the text itself instead of being before both. I am not sure how to avoid that within jutoh. I contacted Julian about it.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:39 AM   #59
nounlu

I figured it out with Julian's help. I had both epub and mobi configuration checked so jutoh created the html for epub. I had to uncheck epub from setting also check optimize for mobi. It is now working properly.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:34 AM   #60
User75
User75 began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Glo
Question How can I make a colored background behind the text?

I have a Question about Jutoh Plus:

How can I make a colored background behind the text?

Like this:

Thank you for your Answer!
User75 is offline   Reply With Quote