Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-23-2009, 01:12 PM   #61
MrKrueger
MrKrueger began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
That was exactly the problem and the fix worked wonders. Thanks for much for that.

This whole process for doing this solely on a Mac definitely needs to be streamlined, but at least it does work without needing a Windows machine(real or virtual) at all.
MrKrueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:50 PM   #62
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Okay, MrKrueger, you've got to stop posting exactly what I was going to say

Thanks, very much, adullday, the unzipping/rezipping fixed my problem, too.

One more thing I can do Windows-free!

ETA - To follow-up, I just bought 2 epubs (not available in US Kindle store). One decrypted without intervention, but the second required unzipping/rezipping, then it worked fine.

Thanks!

Last edited by tlrowley; 10-23-2009 at 05:16 PM.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2009, 03:18 AM   #63
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Oh happy days, as the song goes...
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:37 PM   #64
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
De-lurking to say thanks to everyone for a very helpful thread - especially pthwaite for timely assistance with one of the trickier bits of this whole process.
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:40 AM   #65
epstewart
Connoisseur
epstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enough

Device: iPhone 3G 16GB, B&N nook
ADEPTKey Generator AppleScript for Mac OS X

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
This would be awesome
OK, I have made an AppleScript script that can generate an ADEPT Key in an adeptkey.der file (or a file by any other name the user chooses) on a Mac OS X platform. You can download this script's .zip file from

link removed

This is a script in the form of an application called ADEPTKey_Generator_1.1a. To use it, un-zip the ADEPTKey_Generator_1.1a.app.zip file to retrieve the script app. Then double click on the script app's icon. A standard "Where should I put the ADEPT key output file?" dialog will appear. You can Save As: any file name (default is adeptkey.der) to any folder (default is Desktop).

The script then uses "shell script" UNIX code provided by one of the participants in this thread to generate a "private key" that is saved in the ADEPT key output file and then can be used by the ineptepub.py Python script to decrypt downloaded ADE books.

ADEPTKey_Generator_1.1a should not be used until the user has (1) created an Adobe account online using a web browser and then (2) authorized that account in Adobe Digital Editions on the Mac. It requires that a ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Digital Editions/activation.dat file be present in the user's home folder hierarchy. Activating/authorizing the ADE account causes that file to be created.

Also, if more than one user have ADE accounts, the most recent one authorized is the one ADEPTKey_Generator_1.1a will use in generating the ADEPT Key.

Edited on 12/4/2009 to refer to ADEPTKey Generator 1.1a, which is now compatible with Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard." The previous version of this script application, 1.1, generated an error condition in S.L. The reason apparently was that S.L. expects a script app to be not an "application" per se but what was called an "application bundle" by the Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard" Script Editor. I had saved it as a plain "application." Apparently, if the same source code is saved, in Script Editor under S.L., as an "application," the result is the same as an "application bundle" under Leopard. Under S.L., there is no option to save as an "application bundle" any more. I am running Leopard at this time, not S.L., so I can't actually test that.

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 12-22-2009 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Update to ADEPTKey Generator 1.1a
epstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 04:43 PM   #66
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Can you also publish the source code?
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:12 PM   #67
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
@epstewart:

I find that your script doesn't like output folders that have spaces in their names. Can you fix?

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:53 AM   #68
epstewart
Connoisseur
epstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Can you also publish the source code?
I have sent you a PM linking to the source code.

Cheers,
Eric
Old 10-28-2009, 12:00 PM   #69
epstewart
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
@epstewart:

I find that your script doesn't like output folders that have spaces in their names. Can you fix?

Xenophon
Thanks for pointing out the bug. Here is a link to a fixed AppleScript app:

link removed

This one lets you have spaces in the folder names in the path to the output file and in the name of the output file as well. It also defaults to putting the output file on your Desktop instead of in the Documents folder, though you can still select any folder location your prefer.

Cheers,
Eric

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 12-22-2009 at 04:50 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:00 PM   #70
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
I have run the Applescript kindly prepared here and generated a adeptkey.der file.
When I run ineptepub.pyw I get an error along the lines of:

File name in directory "OEBPS/robe_978_oeb" and header "OEBPS/xxx.jpg" differ.

Is this because the adeptkey is wrong, or a symptom of something else?
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:13 PM   #71
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
This sounds exactly like the problem I was having a few days ago. The solution that worked for me was to unzip/rezip as described in message #60 (link here)

Good luck.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:41 AM   #72
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Outstanding! Many thanks all of you. The unzip/zip trick worked. I can now read my book in Stanza. Hooray!
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:10 PM   #73
epstewart
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD View Post
Outstanding! Many thanks all of you. The unzip/zip trick worked. I can now read my book in Stanza. Hooray!
Just out of curiosity: does anyone understand the need to unzip/zip?

Eric
Old 10-29-2009, 03:14 PM   #74
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by epstewart View Post
Just out of curiosity: does anyone understand the need to unzip/zip?

Eric
If you need to edit the contents of the ePUB and are not using a direct ePUB editor you will need to unzip it first to reveal the contents.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:11 AM   #75
epstewart
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
If you need to edit the contents of the ePUB and are not using a direct ePUB editor you will need to unzip it first to reveal the contents.

Dale
I have to assume, then, that ePUB books are typically zipped??? I didn't know that. They don't have to be unzipped to be read, seemingly, but if you want to edit them, then they need to be unzipped ... is that right? (Why would anyone want to edit an ePUB, anyway? In case one doesn't like the ending Dan Brown gave his latest novel?)

Cheers,
Eric