Notices

Old 09-01-2015, 04:11 PM   #1
LuisG
Enthusiast
LuisG began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura 6"
Failed restoring complete Kobo drive backup

Hello,

I just received a new Kobo Aura from warranty and I want to restore the previous firmware version, reading status and settings I had in the broken Kobo. In other words, I want to revert this new Kobo state exactly as before.
As I make periodic backups of the full Kobo drive (all invisible items included), I was expecting the procedure to be as straightforward as to erase everything from the new Kobo drive and restore with the backup.

I just found out it does not work like that.

I tried restoring the backup before the Kobo made any updates via wi-fi and I tried as well after I let it update to latest firmware. Both ways failed to restore my previous backup because the firmware version from Device Information never corresponded to the backup one. For example, my Kobo is currently operating with the restored backup from firmware 3.16 but in device information it shows 3.17.3.

Either way, what I'm trying to understand is how can I restore the new Kobo to the latest backup from my old Kobo.

In other words, what's the correct procedure to restore a full drive backup?

I already searched around and googled but with no success. Found this thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=224127&page=2) but procedures may change over time and I need to be sure.

Thank you all.
LuisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:53 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
What you describe should work and I have done it in the past. Did you power off and on after copying the files back? The firmware checks the database version each time the device is started and will automatically upgrade the database as needed.

What was the error you saw when you did this?

The instructions for a firmware downgrade in the other thread are still correct. I would let the device install the firmware before copying your files back, but it will probably work to do it in one step. I know I have been through this successfully, but I don't remember if I did it in one or two steps.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2015, 08:34 AM   #3
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, StoryHD, PW4
There could be problems if the firmware on the device was older than the one you were using when making the backup. Also it's possible you have to re-start the reader after restoring the backup.
frostschutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:35 AM   #4
LuisG
Enthusiast

Hi davidfor. Thank you very much for helping.

There is no specific error. Assuming the procedure I use is correct, something else seems failing along the way. Also the wi-fi was turned off so there was no upgrade.

Let me explain the two different scenarios I tried.

1- Restoring with Kobo as new (before any upgrade)
I erased all items and restored with 3.16.10 firmware. Ejected, unplugged and checked the version in device information. It informs that the original factory 2.8.0 firmware is installed and in fact the UI behaves as so.

2- Restoring Kobo after letting it upgrade to latest firmware 3.17.3.
I erased all items and restored with 3.16.10 firmware. Ejected, unplugged and checked the version in device information. It informs that the 3.17.3 firmware is installed.

The version I'm trying to restore is from a customized v3.16.10 firmware but none of the customized features are present (like night mode or advanced font settings) and when I check the version in device information it shows 3.17.3.

I tried as well from other backups with different firmware versions but the result is the same as described above.

So bottom line, no matter what firmware version I try to restore, Kobo seems to stick only with the firmware version itself manages (the original or the upgraded). Even though I deleted in either case (what in fact makes it more weird).

Thank you.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:48 AM   #5
LuisG
Enthusiast

Hi frostschutz. Thank you.

In fact, my previous Kobo had 3.15 firmware whereas this new Kobo comes with the 2.8.0. Could this be the motive for this behavior?

I did tried restarting but with no success.
Advert
Old 09-02-2015, 08:55 AM   #6
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, StoryHD, PW4
Not sure if I understand you correctly.

The files you see on the koboereader drive have nothing to do with the firmware version shown in the settings. The firmware is on the system partition that is not visible, and can not be backed up by default, through USB.

You can backup and restore your books, database (collections, reading progress, ...), configuration etc; you can not restore "firmware" other than downloading the appropriate firmware package from here and installing it (via .kobo/KoboRoot.tgz and .kobo/upgrade/).

If you were using mods that install themselves into the system partition you'll have to re-download and re-install them.
frostschutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:32 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
LuisG: From that description, I think you made a mistake putting the desired firmware on the device. The steps are:

- Download the appropriate firmware package.
- Unzip the package.
- Connect the device.
- Copy the contents of the firmware to the ".kobo" directory. You are copying the files "KoboRoot.tgz" and "manifest.md5sum" and the directory "upgrade".

When you eject the device, it should install the firmware from these files.

Once you have the device at the desired firmware, then you can copy the rest of the files to the device.

Having said that, I would recommend using just about any firmware version other than 3.16.10. Or 3.17.0. The hang and auto reboot caused to may problems. This was disabled in 3.17.3.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:07 AM   #8
LuisG
Enthusiast

davidfor and frostschutz.

Your comments made me understand I was lacking knowledge about terminology and correct Kobo firmware management. Although I should by now understand it correctly, I was assuming firmware as simply replaced with drive copy/paste...

As far as I now understand, no matter what firmware version is currently installed, copying my full drive backup to Kobo will restore it to the previous state.

It's clear now to me and I already have it restored as I wanted.

Thank you very much for your time!