Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-08-2020, 11:54 PM   #1
dromedary
dromedary began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Are glass screen reflections a problem?

Hello,

I am looking for easy to read, low eye strain e-reader.
My vision quickly went downhill in the last two years, so large fonts became important.

I read great reviews about the Onyx Boox Nova 2. In the videos though, it seems the screen is highly reflective. Is that a problem?
Is there another 7+ inch reader with matte screen?

I read mostly epub books.
PDF would be nice, but the price of the 10+ inch readers is hard to justify.

Additional question: Does the Kobo Forma have a matte screen?
(I read that it may struggle with long epub files without chapters though.)

As you can sense, I am thoroughly confused

Thanks
dromedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:58 AM   #2
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
The Kobo Libra has a matte screen, the Kobo Forma has a glossy screen.

Also the 8 inch Nook is matte.

But you have to know that a glossy screen ereader doesn't reflect like a tablet does. In fact my glossy screen ereaders reflect LESS than their matte screen counterparts.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:34 AM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post

Also the 8 inch Nook is matte.
Huh, I never knew there were ereaders with glossy screens.

Quote:
But you have to know that a glossy screen ereader doesn't reflect like a tablet does. In fact my glossy screen ereaders reflect LESS than their matte screen counterparts.
Yeah, the nature of the eink screen not generating light itself will help. That's why they're readable outdoors.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:40 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
I'm looking at my Forma screen now and would not call it a glossy screen. It looks the same as the Libra H20 and Clara HD screens.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:04 PM   #5
Nightflyer
Connoisseur
Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M6, Kobo Clara HD
No reflection and my Kobo Clara seems to have less glare than a shiny paperback book page.
Nightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:34 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My H2O with a glass screen is not reflective. The Kindle PW3 is also not reflective.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote