Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-27-2020, 05:45 PM   #16
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Tor has done something similar with the covers to the Wheel of Time books. They’re now generic junk with a symbol of the series superimposed on a plain background. I suspect WoTs case was done ahead of the TV series, because the previous covers don’t line up with casting choices, but the current covers look like something from a graphic design 101 classes homework assignment. They give no hint of the world or story.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:56 AM   #17
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Tor has done something similar with the covers to the Wheel of Time books. They’re now generic junk with a symbol of the series superimposed on a plain background. I suspect WoTs case was done ahead of the TV series, because the previous covers don’t line up with casting choices, but the current covers look like something from a graphic design 101 classes homework assignment. They give no hint of the world or story.
I've noticed a number of backlist eBooks doing this. My understanding is that a lot of this is that the either the contract the publisher had with the cover artists didn't include eBooks, or the contract expired. I suspect the graphic design cover is simply cheap to use. I typically use Calibre to download the original cover. I do have some books where I couldn't get the original cover and scanned the original book cover.

I liked the original covers for the Wheel Of Time books. The covers they replaced them with in the eBooks where not as good, IMPO. If they replaced those with something else, then you may be right about the TV series.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:28 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I've ust had a look at the first eBook cover for WoT and the font used is awful. IT looks like someone scribbled on the cover.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:45 AM   #19
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
What I dislike - intensely! - is when the artist uses a photo cover showing the author's wife or girlfriend or mistress (but never all three together in one shot, thank god) in the foreground; and in the background, a grassy or hilly mountain plain, along with a skyscraper or two, as if this wacky combination can somehow entice one to read what might otherwise be a pretty good piece of fiction. But you'd never know it.

These types of covers are usually abysmal, and the 'models' look like they are experiencing an extreme case of constipation.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:44 PM   #20
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just so we're all on the same page, these are the covers I'm talking about:
Spoiler:

There was a different set designed a bit back for both epub and trade paperback pbooks, those covers were pretty divisive as well, though they still did a better job than this current crop does of portraying anything about the story.
Old 06-28-2020, 02:31 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Just so we're all on the same page, these are the covers I'm talking about:
Spoiler:

There was a different set designed a bit back for both epub and trade paperback pbooks, those covers were pretty divisive as well, though they still did a better job than this current crop does of portraying anything about the story.
I was looking at the UK covers.
Old 06-28-2020, 02:41 PM   #22
MGlitch
Wizard

Ugh both are really just terrible. I’d probably have never picked the series up with any of these covers.
Old 06-28-2020, 02:57 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Here are more of the UK covers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CrappyCovers.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	180261
Old 06-28-2020, 04:12 PM   #24
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
For ebooks, I prefer the plainish graphic covers, especially for an e-ink reader. Fancy colour are a bit pointless. As long as the contrast is good in b&w, a plain graphic with the title in a decent-sized font is OK by me.

For a pbook on the other hand, there’s nothing to beat a nice cover, especially by Charles Vess or Michael Whelan.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:57 AM   #25
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
What I dislike - intensely! - is when the artist uses a photo cover showing the author's wife or girlfriend or mistress (but never all three together in one shot, thank god) in the foreground; and in the background, a grassy or hilly mountain plain, along with a skyscraper or two, as if this wacky combination can somehow entice one to read what might otherwise be a pretty good piece of fiction. But you'd never know it.

These types of covers are usually abysmal, and the 'models' look like they are experiencing an extreme case of constipation.
If the point of cover art is to sell books, that sort of cover is an epic fail. I tend to just scroll past the book when I see it. I just assume the author didn't bother hiring a professional editor either.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:03 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
For ebooks, I prefer the plainish graphic covers, especially for an e-ink reader. Fancy colour are a bit pointless. As long as the contrast is good in b&w, a plain graphic with the title in a decent-sized font is OK by me.

For a pbook on the other hand, there’s nothing to beat a nice cover, especially by Charles Vess or Michael Whelan.
I'm paying for the eBook. I want the correct cover and not some generic garbage that most big publisher eBooks use these days. Also, if I am using cover view, I want to see the proper cover.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:05 AM   #27
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post

The original cover art for The Eye of the World was Sweet! (i.e. the cover artist was Darrel Sweet ). I liked the original cover art, it was part of why I bought the book back when it first came out. The style reminds me of Modesitt's Magic of Recluce series.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:17 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
If the point of cover art is to sell books, that sort of cover is an epic fail. I tend to just scroll past the book when I see it. I just assume the author didn't bother hiring a professional editor either.
Self-published comes to mind. So does Photoshop fail.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:16 PM   #29
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
The Roald Dahl lynchpin book, Charlie and The Chocolate Factory had a deliberately odious cover, dating from about a few years ago.

Last edited by Luffy; 06-29-2020 at 12:28 PM.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:14 PM   #30
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
The Roald Dahl lynchpin book, Charlie and The Chocolate Factory had a deliberately odious cover, dating from about a few years ago.
What 'deliberately odious cover' are you talking about?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote