Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-24-2019, 01:35 PM   #1
tomcooke
tomcooke began at the beginning.

Device: nook color, ipad
Contain newly added books

Is there a way to contain newly added books. I would like to update the tags and metadata, ensure the authors are correct and generally get the metadata in shape without having search through all 46000 books for the newly added ones.
tomcooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:47 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcooke View Post
Is there a way to contain newly added books. I would like to update the tags and metadata, ensure the authors are correct and generally get the metadata in shape without having search through all 46000 books for the newly added ones.
Sort by date?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:56 PM   #3
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
I use Sirtel's suggested method. In addition to that, in the preferences, in Import/Export, Adding Books, Adding Actions tab, there's a check box Mark newly added books. If you select that you may also want to configure the toolbar and add the Mark Books button, which toggles the mark, so that you can later unmark them.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:02 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcooke View Post
That's where an Intake library comes in handy. The books are loaded into that special purpose library. After cleaning up metadata, covers, etc., they are copied into the main calibre library (copy and delete).

Locate the directory where your current calibre library directory exists and create a folder called Intake in that directory. Then use the Switch/create library option to create a new library at that location. See the attached image.

Please note that you can call that library anything you want. Intake was my personal choice.

Using the Find Duplicates plugin to check for library duplicates comes in handy as well to keep you from adding a book you already have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Create_Intake.png
Views:	112
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	172554  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:08 PM   #5
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Addendum to my above post; I don't see how you can sort by that pushpin thing on the left although maybe using it with sorting by date may fit your needs.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:10 PM   #6
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
That's where an Intake library comes in handy.
Dern, what a great idea. I should have been doing that from day 1.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:15 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Quote:
That's where an Intake library comes in handy.
Dern, what a great idea. I should have been doing that from day 1.
Wish I could claim credit for the idea but several others have also come up with the same solution to handling their new books. Great minds think alike... fools seldom differ???
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:17 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Personally I use the following method: after cleaning up the metadata and editing the book, the last operation I do is to run the Count Pages plugin. So if a book has no number in my pages column, I'll know it has not been edited yet. It's easy to sort out the books without page numbers (#pages:false)
Old 07-24-2019, 02:19 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Addendum to my above post; I don't see how you can sort by that pushpin thing on the left although maybe using it with sorting by date may fit your needs.
Right-click on the Mark Books icon -> Show Marked Books?
Old 07-24-2019, 04:18 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Just remember that many things can use MARK.
This is why the Intake Library is so great
On the Library Icon: Switch Create:Create an Emptu Library, TICK use the structure.

Once books have been massaged...Select books (in Intake):Copy to Library (delete after copy):Main Library's name
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:45 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
That's where an Intake library comes in handy. The books are loaded into that special purpose library. After cleaning up metadata, covers, etc., they are copied into the main calibre library (copy and delete).

Locate the directory where your current calibre library directory exists and create a folder called Intake in that directory. Then use the Switch/create library option to create a new library at that location. See the attached image.

Please note that you can call that library anything you want. Intake was my personal choice.
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔️ ↑ ↑ ↑ ✔️ ↑ ↑ ↑ ✔️

But, you don't have to co-locate libraries, e.g. you might keep your main libraries on an HDD and your Intake on an SSD.

Quote:
Using the Find Duplicates plugin to check for library duplicates comes in handy as well to keep you from adding a book you already have.
I use the Find Duplicates->Library duplicates to find potential duplicate books in the target library, and I use the CalibreSpy plugin to look at the the duplicate book in the target library - i.e. all its metadata and the formats.

There are a couple of things I sometimes need to do after I move a book from Intake. So I also tag new books with "!New" - via the Add books->Adding Actions setting. In the target library I have a (tags:"!New") VL.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:46 AM   #12
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Personally I use the following method: after cleaning up the metadata and editing the book, the last operation I do is to run the Count Pages plugin. So if a book has no number in my pages column, I'll know it has not been edited yet. It's easy to sort out the books without page numbers (#pages:false)
I do it that way too.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:03 AM   #13
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
I created a custom column (yes/no) called Metafixed. That data, by default, is unchecked. When I clean the metadata of a book I check that column. I also have a stored search that shows me only books for which Metafixed is false. That way I can quickly get a display of only the books that I need to clean.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:23 PM   #14
tomcooke
tomcooke began at the beginning.

Device: nook color, ipad
Hey, thanks for all the great ideas, I didn't realize the date was when the book was added to the library. I decided to use the following:
In add books put a tag "new"
Then sort on tags: "new"
work on metadata till done
last operation is to bulk change tags to remove "new"

Tom
tomcooke is offline   Reply With Quote