Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-16-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
fcoulter
Enthusiast
fcoulter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
ePub to MOBI differences - Part I

I'm busy learning xhtml and css in order to create much better eBook files. And so, I'm experimenting with the creation of an eBook in Sigil, and then using Calibre to convert it to a MOBI file so I can view it on my Kindle.

I have found my first non-converting item, the <q> tag. In xhtml, the <q> inline tag is meant to indicate the beginning (and ending) of a quote. When I used it in Sigil when creating an ePub book, the <q> and </q> tags were converted by the ePub viewer into the quote symbol. This worked just the way I would have expected it to work.

However, when I used Calibre to convert the file and viewed the result on my Kindle, there were no quotes. I don't know if Calibre did not convert them properly (unlikely), or if MOBI doesn't support the tag, or if the Kindle doesn't work with the tags properly.

This is NOT a bug report, just a difference I noted between ePub and what I see on my Kindle. It might be interesting if Calibre converted the tag to the correct symbols, but that's an enhancement for the future. Who knows, when I get my python chops up, I might even do it.
fcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IITC calibre leaves <q> tags as is and probably the MOBI rendered on the Kindle can't handle them. Check by viewing the MOBI in calibre's viewer.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 03:47 PM   #3
fcoulter
Enthusiast

You're probably right. I probably should have called this ePub to Kindle differences.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:50 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Actually, check out your converted mobi book in Mobipocket Reader. That is the gold standard by which all other Mobipocket renderers are judged.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:56 PM   #5
fcoulter
Enthusiast

After I read the response, I noticed an interesting thread from 2008 at the bottom of the page. It directed me to http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/articl...TagRef_OEB.htm. On that page, it said that the <q> tag is not supported in Mobipocket Reader. It also said something about OEB 1.0, but I have no idea what that is.
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 04:02 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcoulter View Post
It directed me to http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/articl...TagRef_OEB.htm. On that page, it said that the <q> tag is not supported in Mobipocket Reader. It also said something about OEB 1.0, but I have no idea what that is.
Open E Book. This gives more info.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, epub, mobi, sigil, tag