Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-05-2009, 10:30 AM   #1
cemerson
cemerson began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505S
Jumping the gun?

Probably a dumb question, have patience with me, I'm new!

I have wanted an eReader for ages, and supposing that I'm getting a Sony 505 as a birthday present in the near future, do I need to wait for it to come to start downloading books? ie, is there something in the package I need to wait for? Or can I download the Sony eLibrary software or Calibre and start collecting the books I want from this site and others, so that they'll be ready to load onto the reader?

If I try Calibre, does it interfere with the Sony interface? I note that some people report problems.

My skill level is sort of medium -- a lot of the techie conversation on here is so far above my head that it's funny, but I've used computers for years. I really don't want to get into converting books from one format to another; I'm not that interested in the lastest bestsellers; a lot of what I want is available free, but there is some copyrighted stuff I'll want to buy, either from Sony or Fictionwise.

Thanks to all you helpful people in advance ...
cemerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
do I need to wait for it to come to start downloading books? ie, is there something in the package I need to wait for? Or can I download the Sony eLibrary software or Calibre and start collecting the books I want from this site and others, so that they'll be ready to load onto the reader?
You can download the Sony software and Calibre without owning the reader. When you download the Sony software, it will need to be registered before you can begin purchasing books from Sony's bookstore. Once you get the Reader you can add it to your Sony account through the software and any books purchased can them be transferred to the device.

Quote:
If I try Calibre, does it interfere with the Sony interface? I note that some people report problems.
Just don't have both programs open at the same time. You can use both programs to manage books, but if both are open at the same time they don't play well together.

Quote:
My skill level is sort of medium -- a lot of the techie conversation on here is so far above my head that it's funny, but I've used computers for years. I really don't want to get into converting books from one format to another; I'm not that interested in the lastest bestsellers; a lot of what I want is available free, but there is some copyrighted stuff I'll want to buy, either from Sony or Fictionwise.
If you want to purchase books and not worry about removing DRM or conversions, look for multi-format books at Fictionwise which include DRM free LRF and ePub. You can also check BooksOnBoard and most of their titles included DRM ePub.

Also check your local library to see if they offer ebooks. It is a great resource for free ebooks.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi cemerson and welcome to MobileRead. Good advice from grooks. In fact, you can get details on lending libraries here https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Start now. After supper today is too late!

Find some books to read. Many free books are available here at MobileRead, at Feedbooks, Manybooks, Munsey's, and Baen. DRM-free books are sold by Fictionwise and Baen's Webscriptions site.

You can go ahead and sign up at the Sony store and buy books using the Sony software -- then transfer to your reader when it arrives. You can also buy ePub books from BooksOnBoard and probably from other stores I'm not aware of.

Personally, I use the Sony store software on one computer and Calibre on the other two -- but that's because I purchase very few books from Sony. Mostly I use the Sony software to access the ePub books at Google and to pick up the occasional free book.

Edit -- oh yes! I should say "Welcome to MobileRead". We're glad you've joined us.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:26 PM   #5
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
Hi cemerson, I recently bought a 505 and by the time it arrived I had a collection of about 60 ebooks ready for it.

I bought a couple of books, although most of the ones I downloaded were free, from this site and links I found on the wiki https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Free_eBooks . I used Adobe Digital Editions then, although I've since installed both the Sony software and calibre. I don't run both at the same time, and mainly use calibre now.

I've downloaded epub, lrf and pdf format books, although pdf isn't the best and if you can find a book in epub or lrf it's definitely better. I haven't needed to convert any yet and I've got a library of about 150 waiting for me. (I've only bought 5 the others were all free.)

Based on my experience, if you get a 505 you won't regret it.
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2009, 03:04 PM   #6
cemerson
cemerson began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505S
That is exactly what I wanted to know, thank you! This is an amazingly helpful place.

The Kindle wasn't an option, as I'm in Canada. The BeBook also attracted me, but I've actually seen a Sony 505 in the Sony store in the Eaton Centre, and I played with it a little, and really liked it. I am SO looking forward to getting one.

I've been systematically paging though the ebook index here, and I have a little list of books I want to download. Well, make that a large list ... for me, one of the attractions is being able to read long out-of-print, but non-classic books which are only available for insanely high prices as rare editions. Suddenly, they're available for the downloading! Wheeeeeeee!

The hard part is going to be waiting for the reader!

I can amuse myself in the meantime by checking out the Toronto Public Library's ebooks, too, as well as downloading.
cemerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #7
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Just don't have both programs open at the same time. You can use both programs to manage books, but if both are open at the same time they don't play well together.
I think this is only true if you have the device attached. Or it may be related to whether you have both programs automatically putting content on the device.

I open both at the same time, though I've never had both open *and* the Reader attached. I set Calibre to not automatically load anything to the device. I use Calibre for fetching newspapers and magazines, and for conversions. Then I open those things in Sony eBook Reader and let it load onto the Reader via its sync capability. Using the Sony eBook Reader to load has the advantages of Collections and pre-pagination and allows me to utilize Sony's sync (though I believe most people don't like Sony's automatic sync).
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:58 PM   #8
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
I think this is only true if you have the device attached. Or it may be related to whether you have both programs automatically putting content on the device.
I think you are right Thanks for the correction.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote