Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-11-2019, 05:09 AM   #1
PenguinCEO
Member Retired
PenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipedia

Device: a lot
故事主要描述當伐木

故事主要描述當伐木

Last edited by PenguinCEO; 04-16-2020 at 12:21 PM.
PenguinCEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:13 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Since e-ink is low contrast, many images would greatly benefit from contrast stretch.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2019, 05:58 AM   #3
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Since e-ink is low contrast, many images would greatly benefit from contrast stretch.
How would that affect those of us who read on tablets and phones? I have no statistics, but I suspect that e-ink readers are a minority of devices for reading ebooks.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:44 AM   #4
PenguinCEO
Member Retired
PenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipedia

Device: a lot
故事主要描述當伐木

Last edited by PenguinCEO; 04-16-2020 at 12:22 PM.
PenguinCEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:45 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinCEO View Post
What is your secret? How did you collect 29,000,000 karma points?
I suspect that being on MobileRead for nearly 8 years has helped.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2019, 11:48 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Does it exist a best practice to add images to ebooks aimed to maximize the visual rendering of images?
Use the appropriate format for the image. Generally, photos are best in JPEG, diagrams in PNG.

If you're just aiming at E-Ink screens, converting colour images into high contrast greyscale can also help. (By choosing the colour->greyscale conversion carefully you can obtain a better result than relying on the default conversion in the ebook reader.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:02 PM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
How would that affect those of us who read on tablets and phones? I have no statistics, but I suspect that e-ink readers are a minority of devices for reading ebooks.
And I suspect you are wrong, nj. As you know, I have pretty much all the devices that are, (smile) and my preferred reader is the eInk Voyage.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:51 AM   #8
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
And I suspect you are wrong, nj. As you know, I have pretty much all the devices that are, (smile) and my preferred reader is the eInk Voyage.

Hitch
And in any case the original question referred to E-Ink screens so tablets, phones etc is a bit of topic drift.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:46 PM   #9
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sometimes images (jpeg, png, etc.) in ebooks are poorly rendered by the ebook-readers based on Pearl/Carta e-ink screens,

Does it exist a best practice to add images to ebooks aimed to maximize the visual rendering of images?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
As others have pointed out, the OP asked about e-ink, but you make some good points. Rendering on non-e-ink displays should not be disregarded (and they probably greatly outnumber e-ink displays). I think both can be accommodated. I've thought about this from time to time for years, starting when e-ink was on the rise and seemed promising to revolutionizing reading.

I think maps, drawings, and other nominally black and white illustrations should use the full dynamic range just as text is nominally full black on a full white background. Reading software on high contrast displays already addresses the harshness that can result from this by providing options to set other background colors such as sepia. This should also be done for images. Author/publishers can set the background for non-photographic images to be transparent, yet another reason to use PNG.

It is very frustrating to have to squint at poorly scanned maps and drawing that could easily be quite legible with proper contrast. 5 to 8 inch low contrast e-ink is a challenging medium for drawings and photographs but they are capable looking pretty good and publishers should at least put some effort into it.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:01 PM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Use the appropriate format for the image. Generally, photos are best in JPEG, diagrams in PNG.

If you're just aiming at E-Ink screens, converting colour images into high contrast greyscale can also help. (By choosing the colour->greyscale conversion carefully you can obtain a better result than relying on the default conversion in the ebook reader.)
I completely agree, but I have been surprised how good a job kindles do at rendering color images. Enough so that I prefer that images be left in color, but if a publisher actually optimizes the conversion to greyscale, I think that is great.

However I really wish publishers hadn't been producing such needlessly crap maps and drawings all these years. I am glad to see that a few books are starting to have decent images (probably because the original artwork was computer generated rather than scanned). It is very discouraging to see that many of the computer generated images have terrible JPEG artifacts.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:12 PM   #11
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
What is your secret? How did you collect 29,000,000 karma points?
Those are questions for the people that have clicked the karma button for my posts.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:38 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
And in any case the original question referred to E-Ink screens so tablets, phones etc is a bit of topic drift.

BobC
While the original post might have referred to e-ink I doubt that anyone is going to produce multiple versions of a book for differing classes of readers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:13 PM   #13
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
While the original post might have referred to e-ink I doubt that anyone is going to produce multiple versions of a book for differing classes of readers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Agreed....and I certainly wouldn't "dumb down" an epub just to make it look better on eink at the expense of every other device.
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:41 PM   #14
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I'm not advocating it, but Amazon produce a mind-boggling number of different versions of books based not only on device but also software version. (I know none of them are EPUB, but still...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Agreed....and I certainly wouldn't "dumb down" an epub just to make it look better on eink at the expense of every other device.
Sure, but most existing e-book maps, line art, and text heavy images are downright stupid, and need to be undumbed down to look better on all devices.

How is providing proper contrast dumbing down an EPUB?
Old 01-13-2019, 03:56 PM   #15
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I completely agree, but I have been surprised how good a job kindles do at rendering color images. Enough so that I prefer that images be left in color, but if a publisher actually optimizes the conversion to greyscale, I think that is great.
I do the same -- that is, use color whenever I have it. Of course I'm not a graphic artist, but I really can't see the difference between a color image on my Paperwhite and a grayscale-optimized image.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote