Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-05-2019, 04:06 PM   #16
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
I've seen Moleskine-type notebooks at Barnes & Noble. I was wondering what is special about them?
I got started with them with the Book Lover's Journals. I was trying to find a way to track my reading, and this gave me structure. You can see the interior in the attached photo. It helped me build the habit, and I kept one per year for seven years.

Once I got into minimalist Bullet Journaling, I started keeping track of everything in one Moleskine Cahier. It is literally my daybook. I write down my schedule, to do lists, and all sorts of odds and ends in them. I also use it to keep track of my books, quotes, etc. I have used one of those per year for the last 6 years. There isn't anything overly special about them except that they are relatively large, have a soft, flat profile, and can come in graph paper pattern.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moleskine-book-journal-copy.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	168864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cahiers.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	168865  
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:15 PM   #17
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I used Sharpie pens for 4 or 5 years in my Moleskine book lovers journals (which I recently discovered they have stopped making). But when Moleskine redid the way they produced their paper, the Sharpie pens started showing through. I still use an oversized Cahair Moleskine for my daily bullet journal/day book, so Sharpies are no longer viable for me.
I can adapt to a lot of things, but I would be very disappointed if the manufacturer changed the paper in my annual Exacompta Journal 21 daily desk planner -- I use it as a daily journal. The paper works very well with Sharpie pens.

And when the Sharpie begins to show its age it's relegated to solving sudoku and crossword puzzles.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:23 PM   #18
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I got started with them with the Book Lover's Journals. I was trying to find a way to track my reading, and this gave me structure. You can see the interior in the attached photo. It helped me build the habit, and I kept one per year for seven years.

Once I got into minimalist Bullet Journaling, I started keeping track of everything in one Moleskine Cahier. It is literally my daybook. I write down my schedule, to do lists, and all sorts of odds and ends in them. I also use it to keep track of my books, quotes, etc. I have used one of those per year for the last 6 years. There isn't anything overly special about them except that they are relatively large, have a soft, flat profile, and can come in graph paper pattern.
Thanks for the info. It sounds like something I would have been interested years ago. Over the years I've put data in many locations (including my Palm OS PDA), and it would have been good to put all of the data in one location and those notebooks would have been a good option.

I'm considering going with a three-ring binder containing 3" by 5" cards or 5" x 8" cards and writing on them in pencil. This would allow me to make corrections, arrange the cards as needed, and dispose of unneeded cards. It would take the place of my late, lamented Palm OS PDA (which is no longer supported by my OS). While it would be larger than the above books, it would still be in a convenient size.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:16 AM   #19
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
Thanks for the info. It sounds like something I would have been interested years ago. Over the years I've put data in many locations (including my Palm OS PDA), and it would have been good to put all of the data in one location and those notebooks would have been a good option.

I'm considering going with a three-ring binder containing 3" by 5" cards or 5" x 8" cards and writing on them in pencil. This would allow me to make corrections, arrange the cards as needed, and dispose of unneeded cards. It would take the place of my late, lamented Palm OS PDA (which is no longer supported by my OS). While it would be larger than the above books, it would still be in a convenient size.
Have you thought about a disc-bound notebook? Most of the office supply stores sell them now. Solid discs with a lip for binding fits perfectly into paper punched with the right shape. Easy to move the pages around, but a regular notebook size instead of a binder. https://www.staples.com/arc+discboun...bound+notebook shows some examples, just to show what I'm talking about.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:02 PM   #20
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
Have you thought about a disc-bound notebook? Most of the office supply stores sell them now. Solid discs with a lip for binding fits perfectly into paper punched with the right shape. Easy to move the pages around, but a regular notebook size instead of a binder. https://www.staples.com/arc+discboun...bound+notebook shows some examples, just to show what I'm talking about.
I hadn't considered it because of the size, I'm looking for something smaller than the standard 8 1/2" by 11". I took a look and what I saw looked interesting and I might consider it, although if I go with the letter-size paper size I might just go a standard three-ring binder. The advantage of that is that with my computer I can design my own forms for the binder rather relying on pre-created forms.

I just purchased some spiral pads (6" by 9" with spiral binding at the top [like a steno pad except no vertical line in the middle of the page] with microperforated pages) that might serve my needs, at least for taking notes. I prefer the spiral binding at the top since I can use the entire width of the page for writing.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote