Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-03-2016, 09:48 PM   #1
paulat
paulat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Question Anyway to permanently block the updates without jailbreaking?

I have a Kindle Voyage with the system version 5.6.5. Since I don't like the newly released system (5.7.2?), I was wondering is it possible to permanently block the auto updates. Also I don't want to put my kindle under airplane mode foever. So are there any other tricks? Thanks guys.

(I have googled and found a method that you can create a directory with specific names in the root folder when kindle is connected to pc, does it still work?—I have found some argues in this thread but I don't quite undersand them.)
paulat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:37 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I don't know the answer to your question but I upgraded mine and I don't like the new home screen either. I did put mine back in list view, which is better, but it's still not as good as it was.

However, when I'm reading a book it's pretty much the same as it always was and that's really what I care about. I can't really say I'm sorry I upgraded. I bought it for reading and that's all that really matters to me.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:09 PM   #3
Vroo
Zealot
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of Kindles, PocketBook HD3/InkpadX, inkBOOK, Kobo
The update file is over 200 MB.

So a partial solution would be to fill up the disk space on Kindle that there would be no room to download update...
Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:14 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You will not be able to buy any new books or sync after 3/22 unless you upgrade your firmware, per a message from Amazon. The full text is in their help information.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:22 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
You will not be able to buy any new books or sync after 3/22 unless you upgrade your firmware, per a message from Amazon. The full text is in their help information.
You'll still be able to buy books. You don't even need to own a Kindle device to do that. If I'm reading things correctly what you won't be able to do is use any of the Kindle's services like Whispersync or Send To Kindle and then download to device.

Here's the contents of an email they're sending out, posted to Amazon's boards by a user...
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?_...x3TDT6ZWANWMCO
Quote:
If you do not update the device software by March 22, 2016, you will no longer be able to access Kindle services or get the update via Wi-Fi. To resume access, you will need to manually update the software on your Kindle. Please visit our Help page for more details on how to update manually.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:39 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Buying books is a Kindle service.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:44 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Buying books is a Kindle service.
They can't stop you from buying books, nor would they want to. Books can be bought through the website anytime you want, you just might not be able to buy via the device itself as the device won't connect to Amazon without the update after 3/22.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 02-05-2016 at 09:48 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:08 AM   #8
Vroo
Zealot
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of Kindles, PocketBook HD3/InkpadX, inkBOOK, Kobo
Quote:
What I understand from their help page:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom..._deveng_eicert

is that this mandatory update applies only to older Kindles - from K1 to KPW1. They probably change connection/encryption method in the same way they updated browsers on K3/K4 to support new HTTPS protocols.

And it's not going to affect those of us who stick with 5.6.5 on newer Kindles.
Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:59 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The K1 just got its first update in like forever.

You wanna know the big secret? They updated the bundled cacerts file...

The latest update for the K2/DX(G) is the ancient, ancient 2.5.8
The K3 was updated to 3.4.2 and the K4NT to 4.1.3 -- both those updates happened in August of 2015.

Amazon is blowing this out of proportion (a little bit).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:28 PM   #10
susan_cassidy
Wizard

According to the Help software updates page for the K1, the latest update is 1.2.1, which has been out for a long, long time.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:44 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
According to the Help software updates page for the K1, the latest update is 1.2.1, which has been out for a long, long time.
I haven't heard anything about 1.2.1 before. I have checked, and the only references I can find on the internet are for 1.2
I have unpacked the update itself, and the files are datestamped from October 2015. But I still haven't seen it mentioned... perhaps because no one noticed it existed? But I suppose Amazon could have also been sitting on that one.

Either way, that isn't really a long time, just under three months.

That is why I keep saying that the K1 is the only one which actually got an update.

I wouldn't mind being proven wrong, but I would like to see actual evidence that that update existed before.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
block, kindle voyage, update