Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-14-2018, 02:53 PM   #91
Branch Delay
Connoisseur
Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Just wanted to report that I ordered the 100$ model from the Walmart sale. Flawless screen, none of the really bad light bleed I've seen on youtube. Probably got lucky.

Have a few shadows from the leds at the bottom, but no worse than anything I've seen on the Kindle.

Best reader I've ever purchased -- glad I switched from Kindle.
Branch Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 04:28 PM   #92
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branch Delay View Post
...Have a few shadows from the leds at the bottom, but no worse than anything I've seen on the Kindle.
Glad you got a flawless one.

I do think the shadows from the LEDs are unavoidable, overall. I don't ding any reader for that. I like to read with the lighting very low and I think the shadows are more visible then.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2018, 06:04 PM   #93
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I had mine for several months now its fine lights ... no bleeding. No Freezing when reading. Just wish I could get the $30 difference back
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:20 AM   #94
Asiorent
Asiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Just got it new and I have very slight light bleed on the sides, down left almost negligible down right slightly noticeable. If I didn't know that its light bleed I would have not realize it (but now i do )) ). Down completely no bleed.

Its not disturbing by reading so I would say they solved it big part although not completely (in my case).
Asiorent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:44 PM   #95
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Any one having problems with the screen Pealing? I have a few places where some kinda coating is coming off....
Advert
Old 02-19-2019, 11:54 AM   #96
radbaddude
Addict
radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Any one having problems with the screen Pealing? I have a few places where some kinda coating is coming off....
Could you take a picture of that?
radbaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:07 PM   #97
MTJK
MTJK began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Could it be that you never removed the plastic protective film that came on it new?
MTJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:20 PM   #98
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTJK View Post
Could it be that you never removed the plastic protective film that came on it new?
Describe what you mean? This is the 2nd Clara I had the other one did the same thing....returned it.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:18 PM   #99
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
So, most items that use a screen (cellphones, tablets, laptops, e-readers) ship with a plastic film covering the screen. This film is meant to protect the device from incidental scratches while in transit or sitting on a store shelf.

The film isn't meant to be left on the device for everyday use. If you don't remember removing it, well, that's probably what you're seeing in this case. Any chance you can upload a picture of your e-reader?
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:05 PM   #100
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

No Pic as they don't show up clearly. Its very thin & waxy feel to it. Covers the whole screen ...except spots here & there that's peeling.

The Heavy stiff plastic shipping protector is in the box.... took it off day 1. If that's what You are talking about.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:29 PM   #101
Virgilio1
Virgilio1 began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derf View Post
Just wanted to share some tidbits about my new Kobo Clara HD.

1) the back cover is hard plastic. This often gets knocked as one of the complaints about the device. But then, I've seen many of the Kobo back covers get knocked. The main issue with the Clara is that it has a strange stippling pattern for grip, but isn't that grippy, especially when your hands get sweaty.

Well, I found a solution. PlastiDip. If you have the cojones, take off the back cover, and lay down a couple coats of black Plastidip. PlastiDip usually peels right off things like clearcoat on cars, or metal wheels, but on a plastic cover it adheres very well. It gives the cover a nice rubbery, tactile feel.

2) The built in SD card is a Sandisk Edge 8GB.
Attachment 165118
I don't have crystaldiskMark, since I'm on a Mac, but I have a similar program. Here is the speed test results for the Clara.
Attachment 165119

It isn't that great.

I replaced it with a 32GB Samsung Evo Plus card, that has faster speed tests.
Attachment 165120

From off, the Kobo boots up faster now. I've got my eyes out to see what else might be faster too mit book of ra kostenlos spielen.

3) the battery is a 1500mah 2.8mm x 54mm x 83mm 3.7V lipo. So far it is getting great battery life, but it may be possible to actually fit a larger battery.

4) there is a woman who posted a great fix for the Clara HD. Search youtube for 'kobo clara fix'. She describes putting electrical tape on the sides of the screen. And I've heard from others that this works!... I was anticipating having to do this too, but I found that actually, if you just take off the back cover and press the backside of the screen against the front bezel, the side lighting disappears. It seems that the double sided tape there just needs a little more help. So, I don't even need to wrap my screen in electrical tape. Just one other possibility for those inclined to try to fix the issue.
Ich hatte meine auf 64 GB aufgerüstet ...
kopierte meine Bücher (4000ish-Bücher) auf das Gerät ... Der Import konnte nicht abgeschlossen werden ...
am Ende nur Importbücher, die ich gerade lese ... vielleicht ist es ein bisschen zu viel, als dass man es auf einmal bearbeiten könnte.
Virgilio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:11 PM   #102
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgilio1 View Post
Ich hatte meine auf 64 GB aufgerüstet ...
kopierte meine Bücher (4000ish-Bücher) auf das Gerät ... Der Import konnte nicht abgeschlossen werden ...
am Ende nur Importbücher, die ich gerade lese ... vielleicht ist es ein bisschen zu viel, als dass man es auf einmal bearbeiten könnte.
My current record for imports in one go is 7200. However all those epubs have been through error checking and cleanup. Kobo is very unforgiving of errors in epubs. Garbage in, garbage out.

I would recommend smaller batches to allow locating problem files more easily unless you know all your epubs are error free.

One item to keep in mind when putting large numbers of ebooks on your Kobo is that if your database file is getting close to the RAM size, you can start running into issues. Kobo's current firmware does not swap.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:49 PM   #103
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Kobo's current firmware does not swap.
Lol. I'm sure I've seen discussions on this point elsewhere

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:13 PM   #104
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
My current record for imports in one go is 7200. However all those epubs have been through error checking and cleanup. Kobo is very unforgiving of errors in epubs. Garbage in, garbage out.

I would recommend smaller batches to allow locating problem files more easily unless you know all your epubs are error free.

One item to keep in mind when putting large numbers of ebooks on your Kobo is that if your database file is getting close to the RAM size, you can start running into issues. Kobo's current firmware does not swap.
my database file is almost 3 times larger than the RAM size on my original Aura 6" but i haven't noticed any issues/problems.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:06 PM   #105
Silverty
Connoisseur
Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
So, most items that use a screen (cellphones, tablets, laptops, e-readers) ship with a plastic film covering the screen. This film is meant to protect the device from incidental scratches while in transit or sitting on a store shelf.

The film isn't meant to be left on the device for everyday use. If you don't remember removing it, well, that's probably what you're seeing in this case. Any chance you can upload a picture of your e-reader?
I just got a brand new Clara HD and have currently left my screen protector on. I'm assuming this is what they're seeing as well. All I did was cut off the little tab to pull it off.

I'm assuming this should be okay but now I'm questioning that after you said it was not for everyday use. Lol
Silverty is offline   Reply With Quote