Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-02-2016, 05:29 AM   #1
afrikapit
afrikapit began at the beginning.

Device: iBooks on iMac, iPad and iPhone
Cover image sync iBooks for iMac, iPhone and iPad

Hi,

since days I try to find a solution for my problem and I have read a lot of threads at all kind of forums but so far I could not solve my problem.

I have a ePub file downloaded from the net. I imported this file into Calibre. I changed the cover image with the metadata management function (download metadata) from Calibre. I can see the new image within Calibre.

I exported the ePub file to my drive on my iMac. I noticed that Finder from iMac does not show the cover image as a icon of the ePub file which it normally does with my other iPub files.

I opened iBooks on iMac and dragged the exported ePub file into iBooks. In iBooks on the iMac the file shows the cover image as icon for the book. If I open the book I can see this cover image also for a while as a bigger image but as soon as the book is open I can see a different cover image as the one I choose in Calibre on page 1 of the book itself.

I synced the book via iBook for iCloud to my iPad and my iPhone. On iPhone I can see the book in iBooks but with a generic cover image and not the one I can see in iBooks on iMac. The book has the correct author and title as changed in Calibre but not the correct cover image. The same is with iPad. The book is synced but shows a generic cover image instead of the one I used in Calibre.

This problem is kind of sporadic because most of my ePub files which I have imported to Calibre and exported to my iMac and synced with iPad and iPhone are showing the correct image as a icon already in Finder as well as in iBooks on iMac, iPad and iPhone.

I have downloaded the same book from other sources and imported and exported it to Calibre but the result is always the same with this book.

The questions I could not find an answer for are:

- Why does Finder on iMac not showing the cover Image as icon as it does with most of my other ePub files?
- Why does iBooks on iMac show the correct cover image but iBooks on iPad and iPhone doesn't?
- Why is there a different cover image in the book itself and the metadata of the ePub file? Do I have to edit both the book and the metadata to get this in sync?
- What exactly does iBooks for iCloud sync between the devices? The ePub file or the metadata or something Apple specific?
- How can I export ePub files from Calibre directly to iBooks for iMac, iPad or iPhone? I couldn't find a driver for this.

I found all kind of information about this topic in all kind of different sources on the web and this gave me a bit of knowledge about this topic but I could not solve the actual problem. Hope somebody can direct me here. Thanks

I have attached two files. The first file is the one I downloaded from the net. The second one is the exhort ePub from Calibre.

afrikapit

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-02-2016 at 05:44 AM. Reason: remove copyright protected attachments
afrikapit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:45 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moderator Notice
Attachments deleted - copyrighted material

Read the rules ==>> Guidelines

Do it again and you'll be suspended

Use the Scramble Ebook plugin to create a postable version

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-02-2016 at 05:47 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2016, 05:50 AM   #3
afrikapit

Okay. My fault. I am knew and I didn't read the guideline carefully enough. Nevertheless I would have appreciated a more friendly approach. Especially the "Do it again and you'll be suspended" sounds quiet unfriendly.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:57 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Deliberately harsh to make sure you, and others who read the thread, 'get the message'.

Hopefully compensated by the fact that I gave you a solution.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:05 AM   #5
afrikapit

Problem solved by deleting the OS X trash bin

I can't explain it in detail but after deleting the OS X trash bin the ePub file in Finder showed the cover image as icon as it should and does with all the other ePub files on my iMac and after importing the file in iBooks on iMac, iBooks showed the correct cover image on iMac and after sync via iCloud also on iPad and iPhone.

Accidentally I noticed that the ePub files I have deleted on my iMac and in iBooks landed - off course - in my trash bin. Off what ever reason as long as I had a copy of this file in my trash bin I had the described problem. After I deleted my entire trash bin on iMac it worked.
Advert
Old 04-02-2016, 07:10 AM   #6
afrikapit

Driver for iBooks

There is still one question open. I learned that Calibre offers the possibility to connect devices to Calibre. With Apple products this seems not to be as easy as with other readers. Somewhere I read that there is a driver for iBooks available which would give the functionality to export ePub files from Calibre directly into iBooks. Is this true? If yes, how can I find this driver? Thank you.

Tags
ibooks, imac, image, iphone, sync