Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-15-2015, 10:05 PM   #1
dark.knight1
dark.knight1 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Exclamation Vocabulary builder and flash card feature on old kindle 2/3/dx?

I have been searching many forums for the above mentioned query, but could not find any thing related to this...

I request here to alll the biggi developers to provide a way to install flashcard and vocabulary builder functionality on older gen kindle, as it makes no sense to me to upgrade kindle just for the vocabulary builder....
Dont know why amazon left old gen kindle owners in dark by not offering this functionality.....!
dark.knight1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:27 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Because they haven't invented time-travel yet?

(Seriously, that's a fairly new feature, and you're talking about fairly old devices, running on a somewhat vastly different FW, and that are basically unmaintained to boot. And before someone brings it up: the 3.4.1 update can be considered a glitch in the machine, because what it fixes was such a simple but pervasive issue).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-15-2015 at 10:29 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2015, 03:57 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight1 View Post
- - - - -
Dont know why amazon left old gen kindle owners in dark by not offering this functionality.....!
These are discardable consumer toys, not what one might call "durable goods" (twenty year+ usable lifetime).

Anything older than a PW1 is expected (by Amazon) to have been discarded by now.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:23 AM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
And what about adding these features to the Android, Windows and iOS Kindle apps? There'd be no question of needing to update old firmware - and therefore no need for time travel.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:45 AM   #5
dark.knight1
dark.knight1 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Yes i know that its old hardware with some limitations....but thr is already a dictionary working in background while reading on kindle thn why cannot we have an app to capture highlighted text as flash card!?...
dark.knight1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2015, 10:55 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Why should a company continue to update and maintain old ebook readers from 4-5 (or more) years ago? This is ancient technology.

That's like trying to get a Mr. Coffee repaired! Just buy a new one.

Best to invest in a new ebook reader and enjoy it for about 2-3 years, and then expect the same thing to happen.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 12:09 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Mike L: That's a much better question . Do those even support X-Ray?
Old 01-19-2015, 12:56 PM   #8
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Do those even support X-Ray?
The Android and PC apps certainly don't. Or if they do, the feature is very well hidden.

In general, my ancient Kindle 3 has a better range of features than these apps.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:58 PM   #9
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
title of this thread is a bit misleading. With an exclamation mark at the end it looks rather like a thread with a recipe for these features.

thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:22 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@thomass: Good point, switched to a question mark .
Old 01-20-2015, 09:35 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@thomass: Good point, switched to a question mark .
Makes me glad I am not a moderator of this forum.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:34 PM   #12
jeanmoulin
jeanmoulin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
I beg to differ that "newer" is always better, and that maintaining old products is a waste of time, or even less profitable. First of all, the DX is NOT obsolete: its larger size makes it more readable than the newer paperwhite for some of us with tired eyes, who turned away from reading on computer screens for precisely that reason. I use the DX as my preferred choice. Second, there is a large and growing market for NONthrowaway products, especially among those of us who think that ebooks could be an ecological alternative to printed ones in a 400+ppm CO2 world undergoing a planetary crisis as we speak. Even for the manufacturer, "planned obsolescence" is not necessarily always the most profitable option: there's no economic growth on a dead planet, afterall.
jeanmoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:12 PM   #13
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanmoulin View Post
I beg to differ that "newer" is always better, and that maintaining old products is a waste of time, or even less profitable. First of all, the DX is NOT obsolete: its larger size makes it more readable than the newer paperwhite for some of us with tired eyes, who turned away from reading on computer screens for precisely that reason. I use the DX as my preferred choice. Second, there is a large and growing market for NONthrowaway products, especially among those of us who think that ebooks could be an ecological alternative to printed ones in a 400+ppm CO2 world undergoing a planetary crisis as we speak. Even for the manufacturer, "planned obsolescence" is not necessarily always the most profitable option: there's no economic growth on a dead planet, afterall.
I agree. Good points.
That's why after all these years, I'm still using my good old K's, and will only buy a newer model and keep it as my daily driver iff Amazon brings back features.

I'm glad there are people who don't take a ride on the bandwagon of newer gadget let's buy it because it has this and that ppi etc.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flashcard, kindle 1st gen, kindle 3, vocabulary builder