Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-19-2022, 04:59 PM   #1
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Keyboard for Android, with Nav Keys?

I have a Boox Max3. I mostly use it as a monitor for my computer, but I would also like to use it as a word processor, with Andropen Office.

I figure I need control keys on both sides, navigation keys, and preferably good support for Sticky Keys. I have coordination issues, so 2-handed use isn't practical, and 2-or-3-finger combos are a hassle.

I tried a 7-inch keyboard which required combos for everything, a Logitech K480, and a Periboard 409C, which has nav keys but lacks support for Sticky Keys and has an awkwardly-placed usb cable. A Periboard 609B *might* work.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 05:39 PM   #2
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Sticky Keys is typically a software feature and I don't think Boox's version of Android supports it (some like Samsung do). I did check on my Boox Nova 2 which is running the same software as your Max 3 and it's not there even in the hidden settings.

You can just use pretty much any keyboard on Android though so if there's an accessible hardware based one out there it should work.

I know it's possible to do sticky keys in hardware and the open source keyboard firmware QMK supports it (they call it One Shot keys) but I think that should be a last resort.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2022, 06:25 PM   #3
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some software keyboards for Android support it. I use Hacker's Keyboard partly because of that. I think with hardware keyboards it depends on the drivers:

https://android.stackexchange.com/qu...-android-4-4-2
Old 04-19-2022, 07:25 PM   #4
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Yes, but for physical keyboards Boox does not have the feature built in. On Windows, Mac, Linux sticky keys is done in software and works for any keyboard. Maybe you could root and adjust the keymap for your keyboard like the stackexchange post but I doubt you can buy an external physical keyboard that uses the ALPHA keymap on Android.

Another option is finding a keyboard that supports sticky keys in hardware when software doesn't support it. The ancient Northgate Omnikey did but I don't know of any modern still in production keyboard with it.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 09:57 PM   #5
MarjaE
Guru

P.S. Ah, looking it up, Android doesn't support Sticky Keys if users need anything beyond alphabetic characters, such as if we have coordination issues and need nav keys, etc. ... *headdesk*

P.P.S. Considering External Keyboard Helper:

http://www.apedroid.com/android-appl...ard-helper/faq

Last edited by MarjaE; 04-20-2022 at 01:53 AM.
Advert

Tags
keyboard