Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-26-2020, 05:08 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I am going to do for now until all plugins (except DeDRM) that I use are updated is to keep 4.23 fully installed and install the portable 5.x. So can test the plugins when Py3 versions come out. There re two left that I need.

Modify ePub
Hyphenate This!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:20 AM   #32
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I am going to do for now until all plugins (except DeDRM) that I use are updated is to keep 4.23 fully installed and install the portable 5.x. So can test the plugins when Py3 versions come out. There re two left that I need.

Modify ePub
Hyphenate This!
Ditto for Modify.

I'm also going to keep 4.23 on the laptop I'm using now and install 5.x on a new laptop arriving next week. So I can compare both 64-bit versions.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2020, 06:31 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Ditto for Modify.

I'm also going to keep 4.23 on the laptop I'm using now and install 5.x on a new laptop arriving next week. So I can compare both 64-bit versions.
You could install 5.x as a portable version to try. I'll be installing 5.x as a portable once any of the remaining plugins is converted to test.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:34 AM   #34
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You could install 5.x as a portable version to try. I'll be installing 5.x as a portable once any of the remaining plugins is converted to test.
Yes, but I already have portable 3.x, because I like the old viewer more than the 4.x version (the 4.x version is still slower in opening a book for the first time than the 3.x version, but opening books only once to check the formatting is my main use case. So I find the 3.x viewer better suited for my workflow).
Old 09-26-2020, 06:49 AM   #35
Knightreader
Connoisseur
Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1. Kobo Forma, 2. Kobo H2O Edition 2 (v1)
Uninstall the 5.0.0, then install the older 4.23. I've done this way and all plugins work like before. Means that all settings and plugins were kept during uninstall/new install.
Knightreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2020, 06:53 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yes, but I already have portable 3.x, because I like the old viewer more than the 4.x version (the 4.x version is still slower in opening a book for the first time than the 3.x version, but opening books only once to check the formatting is my main use case. So I find the 3.x viewer better suited for my workflow).
You'll have to remove the 3.x portable as it's not compatible with the database from 5.x. 4.23 is compatible.

This was said by Kovid in another thread.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:56 AM   #37
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You'll have to remove the 3.x portable as it's not compatible with the database from 5.x. 4.23 is compatible.

I only use its viewer. It's not associated with my library.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:55 AM   #38
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Jon, would you please stop telling people who already know what they're doing that they HAVE to uninstall a version of calibre portable that they clearly don't have to uninstall? Thanks.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:40 AM   #39
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:

That's only if you're sharing libraries. I keep my Calibre 3.48 portable library separate from my main one.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:40 AM   #40
mopgcw
mopgcw began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
I'm afraid I didn't see them (though I am on this forum multiple times most days). I'm not an expert on software so maybe I just didn't pick up on them.

In any case, DeDRM doesn't appear to work on 4.23 now either for me, even though I have uninstalled 5.0.0 and uninstalled/reinstalled the plug in, and rebooted my machine.

Heigh ho. Fortunately I'd finished converting my Kindle library, so if I can't get this to work I guess I'll just have to use the Kobo website or epubs/other formats from elsewhere.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

That is very odd. I was able to quickly uninstall 5, reinstall 4.23 and DEDRM worked fine. did not have to reinstall the plugin either. perhaps a cclean run?
mopgcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:43 AM   #41
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd be careful with tools like CCleaner or Geek Uninstaller - they may end up removing your application data folder so all your plugins and settings disappear.
Old 09-26-2020, 11:46 AM   #42
mopgcw
mopgcw began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I'd be careful with tools like CCleaner or Geek Uninstaller - they may end up removing your application data folder so all your plugins and settings disappear.
Certainly one should also be careful. but i have used ccleaner and calibre forever now and never had an issue with it removing anything of the sort.

Last edited by mopgcw; 09-26-2020 at 11:50 AM.
mopgcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:38 PM   #43
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
Thanks all. I've downgraded to 4.23 and reinstalled the plug in but it still doesn't work. Do I have to uninstall the 5.0.0 version as well? I now have two versions of calibre on my laptop.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
The script I ran deleted 5.0.0 before 4.23.0 download and install.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:16 PM   #44
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopgcw View Post
Certainly one should also be careful. but i have used ccleaner and calibre forever now and never had an issue with it removing anything of the sort.
Good to know. I haven't used CCleaner in years due to some of the shady practices by its developer.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:42 AM   #45
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
1. Grab an older version of Calibre Portable. (Unfortunately only seems to be available for Windows.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
It wouldn't surprise me that much if calibre portable worked in wine on Linux.
There's no need for this.

https://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux

Quote:
Manual binary install

If you wish to revert to an earlier calibre release or download a calibre upgrade manually, download the tarball of that release from here (choose the 32-bit or 64-bit version, as appropriate). Assuming you want calibre in /opt/calibre, run the following command, changing the path to calibre-tarball.txz below as appropriate:
From there, you may use the file resources/calibre-portable.sh as a Linux portable launcher. There is also resources/calibre-portable.bat from before the .exe launcher was developed.

Note: both resources/ scripts and the .exe do the same thing -- all three just set the environment variables from https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cus...ment-variables before running calibre.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dedrm