Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-26-2022, 01:39 PM   #1
damned_parrot
damned_parrot began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
A mix of productivity and respect for privacy ?

I'm not sure if such a device or combination of device + OS/Software is out there. I would like to use the device mainly for reading, practicing language through spaced repetition and occasionally writing with a Bluetooth keyboard.

Because of privacy concerns, storing files locally or in my own private cloud are a must. Having the whole system to be running in a privacy respecting OS would be ideal. E-ink screen is also a must.

Battery life comes as the last of the important factors, i wouldn't mind having to charge it everyday even, but as long as it satisfies all conditions above.

Thank you all,
damned_parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 07:19 AM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by damned_parrot View Post
Because of privacy concerns, storing files locally or in my own private cloud are a must. Having the whole system to be running in a privacy respecting OS would be ideal. E-ink screen is also a must.
Any Android device with WiFi turned off.
ME recommended: Beelink P78 Pro (Android 11, external SD card)
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 08:10 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Though for ereading, organisation of collections and series, eink and export of annotations etc any Kobo model and Calibre to manage it.

I'd only use an Android based ereader if I needed some apps (other than KOReader) also. Calibre is also the best solution to manage ebooks for Android devices too.

Much better battery life and more privacy even if WiFi turned on accidently on all eInk and most non-android ereaders.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:32 AM   #4
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
A Kobo device with Calibre-Web Kobo Integration. If you run a copy of your Calibre library on a raspberry PI or a NAS you have your very own Kobo cloud.

https://github.com/janeczku/calibre-...bo-Integration
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 12:46 PM   #5
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Maybe a Kobo Sage - for the reasons everyone else has mentioned re Kobo+Calibre and your mention of wanting to using it for writing. I believe the Sage allows the use of a stylus for note taking.

I don't have a Sage, so maybe someone else will correct me.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 01:56 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Yes, the Sage and Elipsa use the Nebo app to convert handwriting (joined up script or separate) to computer text. It will convert shapes and maths. You can include sketches. If you do all that then Export docx (actually it just saves it for USB transfer), if you only have text then "plain text" files can be "exported". There is HTML option too. The basic notepad is just a multipage sketching app and exports either png or image based PDF.

The Elipsa comes with a Pen and cover. The Sage doesn't. I use the Kobo pen with the Elipsa and a cheaper nearly identical 3rd party pen for the Sage that's sold for the Surface (but hasn't the One Note BT wake option).

You can use the pen to annotate, but only worthwhile for PDFs. For epub using text is better. There is no handwriting conversion on the ereader. There is no integration between ewriter and ereader.

The Nebo files are compatible with Nebo on iOS and Android. The only way to "import" to the notebook system is to copy Nebo files which might need a manual entry in Kobo ereader.conf
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote