Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-16-2022, 01:21 PM   #1
GranSenser
Member Retired
GranSenser began at the beginning.

Device: KindleForPC
How many watermarks (embedded personal information) exist on the Kindle?

I know that there is meta name="Watermark_(hex)" in the opf file in the azw&epub file.

But I do not know if there are any other watermarks.

Is "uid" or "uuid" tag in .opf a watermark?

In the customization options of dedrm there is an option "remove watermark", to what extent does this work?
GranSenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 02:13 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Unless you are pirating copies it's irrelevant.

I care about privacy, but in this case it doesn't matter.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 02:18 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I believe it's just the watermark in the header for Mobi or KF8. It gets stripped when you run the latest DeDRM, but it will not get stripped if the eBook has no DRM as DeDRM won't do anything with the eBook.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 02:38 PM   #4
GranSenser
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Unless you are pirating copies it's irrelevant.

I care about privacy, but in this case it doesn't matter.
I think users have a right to know where their personal information is stored in the file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I believe it's just the watermark in the header for Mobi or KF8. It gets stripped when you run the latest DeDRM, but it will not get stripped if the eBook has no DRM as DeDRM won't do anything with the eBook.
thank you for Answer.
I see, this option only works when DRM is present.
Is the header watermark a set with DRM?
Old 06-16-2022, 02:55 PM   #5
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
uuid
Quote:
When generated according to the standard methods, UUIDs are, for practical purposes, unique. Their uniqueness does not depend on a central registration authority or coordination between the parties generating them, unlike most other numbering schemes. While the probability that a UUID will be duplicated is not zero, it is close enough to zero to be negligible.[2][3]
So if generated by Amazon it could be used as a watermark.

bernie
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranSenser View Post
I know that there is meta name="Watermark_(hex)" in the opf file in the azw&epub file.

But I do not know if there are any other watermarks.

Is "uid" or "uuid" tag in .opf a watermark?

In the customization options of dedrm there is an option "remove watermark", to what extent does this work?
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 03:52 PM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
I think users have a right to know where their personal information is stored in the file.
I wouldn't worry about the watermark leaking your personal information. It is encrypted. And while any encryption can eventually be broken, no one other than Amazon has any real incentive to decode watermarks.

Quote:
Is the header watermark a set with DRM?
No. The watermark is part on the metadata of the book. It is stored in the EXTH header along with the title, author, and other metadata. It is present even if a book does not have DRM. Each time a book is downloaded or delivered it is given a new unique watermark.

DRM data is stored separately in a 48 byte DRM voucher.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 04:33 PM   #7
GranSenser
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm

So if generated by Amazon it could be used as a watermark.

bernie
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell
I wouldn't worry about the watermark leaking your personal information. It is encrypted. And while any encryption can eventually be broken, no one other than Amazon has any real incentive to decode watermarks.

No. The watermark is part on the metadata of the book. It is stored in the EXTH header along with the title, author, and other metadata. It is present even if a book does not have DRM. Each time a book is downloaded or delivered it is given a new unique watermark.

DRM data is stored separately in a 48 byte DRM voucher.
thank you for answer.

Is that 48 bytes identical to the atv tag in this post?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=1957715
Old 06-16-2022, 05:10 PM   #8
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
thank you for answer.

Is that 48 bytes identical to the atv tag in this post?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=1957715
No. That post has a partial description of the watermark format.

The watermark is encrypted but it is possible to infer what sort of things it encodes. By comparing many watermarks it is possible to find correlations showing that one part is associated with the customer's account and another part with the particular book.

The DRM voucher is binary data that holds the key needed to decrypt contents of the book which is itself encrypted. It is stored in a separate part of the first record of the MOBI file as binary data.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 09:29 AM   #9
GranSenser
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell
No. That post has a partial description of the watermark format.

The watermark is encrypted but it is possible to infer what sort of things it encodes. By comparing many watermarks it is possible to find correlations showing that one part is associated with the customer's account and another part with the particular book.

The DRM voucher is binary data that holds the key needed to decrypt contents of the book which is itself encrypted. It is stored in a separate part of the first record of the MOBI file as binary data.
Thank you for your solution.
Then the voucher is removed by DeDRM, and only when the voucher is present, the watermark in the EXTH header is also removed.
I understood most of what you said.

And as to the thread title.
I see the watermark is just the .opf tag and the EXTH header.
So the kindle watermark is simpler than I thought.