Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your Covid vaccination status?
I’m fully vaccinated and it’s been over two weeks. 18 21.95%
I’m fully vaccinated but it’s been less than two weeks. 8 9.76%
I’ve had my first shot of two. 20 24.39%
My first shot is scheduled. 10 12.20%
I’m qualified, but I haven’t been able to schedule a shot yet. 4 4.88%
I’ve not yet qualified or it’s not available here. 16 19.51%
I’m still undecided. 3 3.66%
I won’t be getting it. 3 3.66%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2021, 07:19 PM   #46
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'm not crazy about waking up in the middle of the night with a near-overpowering urge to buy Microsoft products, but otherwise I'm happy.
This would be funny if idiots didn't actually believe that Bill Gates was putting mind control microchips in COVID shots.

Kinda like when Bill Gates joked about it on The Daily Show.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:47 AM   #47
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Had my second dose of the Pfizer on April 5th, so less than two weeks for me.

I would have gone sooner, but had to wait for my state to consider me eligible.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2021, 02:39 AM   #48
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Haertig: "For those who don't want to look at the link or extracted chart below, chance of getting a blood clot from the J&J vaccine: 1 in a million."

The news about this made me think about the pulmonary embolism I had in 2018 after having taken Evista (a synthetic hormone prescription that helps prevent bone loss) for six months. I just checked and for Evista, it's 1 in 100 that get DVT or pulmonary embolism. Most people who take Evista do not get a clot, but I did. This is much worse than what they've seen so far with the J&J vaccine. Unless they see more of this in the future with J&J, I think it's going to be OK. It's alarming when you know about all the prescription drugs that help one health problem can be deadly in another.

I think the 6 women who got the clots had bad cases of them and one died. There is always a risk of death with one or more clots. When I had a PE it was one and it didn't show on a scan 4-1/2 months later.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:05 AM   #49
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I was pretty sure death by car accident was significantly higher than one in a million (six blood clots and 6.8 million injections is what I read - so close to 1:1000000) So I looked up car deaths.
And Johnson & Johnson requires half the trips of its competitors.

I think the best point is that delays, in vaccinating as close to everyone worldwide as is reasonably practical, can easily cost thousands of lives due to COVID.

EDITED: To take the driving thing more seriously, if Barbara and I didn't drive 110 miles each way twice for the Moderna, maybe we would have driven somewhere else. So there's that. But when you make vaccines more scarce, people will drive farther. Add it all up, and the extra driving risk, while impossible to calculate accurately, is real.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 04-14-2021 at 07:15 AM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:03 AM   #50
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
I'm not crazy about waking up in the middle of the night with a near-overpowering urge to buy Microsoft products, but otherwise I'm happy.
You sure you didn't want to buy a new phone?
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2021, 11:16 AM   #51
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Here in Ontario, the rollout is the most confusing it could be.
Provinces are handling the rollout, while the Federal government is providing the vaccines and some guidelines.
We were supposed to have a provincial website and a line to allow people to register when it's their turn. It does not keep up with the different phases...
So, we also have regional websites, and hospital websites, and cities, and clinics that take appointments, give information that are contradictory, change every 2 days, includes or don't include high risk neighborhood. All of them are adding in the general confusion, and it hasn't been harder to navigate and find the information on when and where people should go to get their information, try to make appointments...

And to add to the confusion, some Postal Code were added to the high risk priority list (anybody over 18 can register for a vaccine shot), but they appear to have less cases per 100K people than the average. And guess what, these are Postal Codes that represent lot of voters for the actual provincial party in place.
On the opposite, real higher risk neighborhood, that voted massively for others political parties at the last election, have not been integrated and won't benefit from a prioritized access to the vaccine...
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:43 PM   #52
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I went to Trader Joe’s for the first time since March 13, 2020.

It always stunned me, over the past year, how every time I’d drive by there would be a long line outside waiting to get in. Not only would I not put myself in such a crush during a pandemic, it’s not as if they didn’t sell groceries elsewhere! I don’t wait on line to shop anywhere. But no line today (although there were one or two people waiting when I left).

My two takeaways: The prices have gone up overall, although not for everything, and a couple of my favorite products are no longer available.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:29 PM   #53
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle3, Voyage
Quote:
Now that it's been over two weeks that my wife and I received the Pfizer vaccine, here comes the bad news: The Pfizer vaccine may not offer complete protection against the new African strain.

I'm not discouraged, though. With all the mutations arising, I never expected two shots to be the end of it. I don't doubt more boosters are coming.
It is an Israel study and while the vaccine might not protect you from getting it, does it protect from serious illness? Another thing to note is that perhaps those who aren't vaccinated yet in Israel are being more careful than those who aren't so just because it seems more prevalent in vaccinated than unvaccinated in the studies means nothing unless you compare how each group is behaving. I would also want to know how far from being fully vaccinated were those who got it as well as other factors such as age and medical factors.
janrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 03:06 PM   #54
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
In the meantime, it would probably be wise to scan your vaccination card into your computer and securely store that digital version of it in a couple of places. It would be a real mess to have to sort through booster vaccinations, should those become necessary, using just people's personally retained records. But at least having an easily retrievable personal record is better than no record.
I think I would just take a photo of it unless the place I'm going requires an actual card and I know that. An aunt had her purse stolen two weeks ago. She still has her vaccination card as she took it out of her purse at home after her appointment. Now, where she had it done (clinic) they could have easily brought up the info and given her a new card, but a lot of folks are going through many different methods and it may not be so easy.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 03:20 PM   #55
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I went to Trader Joe’s for the first time since March 13, 2020.

It always stunned me, over the past year, how every time I’d drive by there would be a long line outside waiting to get in. Not only would I not put myself in such a crush during a pandemic, it’s not as if they didn’t sell groceries elsewhere! I don’t wait on line to shop anywhere. But no line today (although there were one or two people waiting when I left).

My two takeaways: The prices have gone up overall, although not for everything, and a couple of my favorite products are no longer available.
My Mom is excited to go shopping tomorrow for the first time in well over a year as well. I have no problem with it because at the time she is going, it's pretty much dead there except for the employees. I do get the thing about the products no longer available. Even produce - the only red potatoes I can get are these tiny ones. At least the price for Spam luncheon meat came down. My brother has wanted more forever, but most places either didn't have it or the price was more than I would pay.

Last edited by Tarana; 04-14-2021 at 03:22 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 03:28 PM   #56
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
My Mom is excited to go shopping tomorrow for the first time in well over a year as well. I have no problem with it because at the time she is going, it's pretty much dead there except for the employees. I do get the thing about the products no longer available. Even produce - the only red potatoes I can get are these tiny ones. At least the price for Spam luncheon meat came down. My brother has wanted more forever, but most places either didn't have it or the price was more than I would pay.
Produce seems to have taken a hit in my local grocery as well. Used to have a whole section of fresh produce being misted at regular intervals. Now most things are pre-packaged (green onions, loose-leaf lettuce, etc...)
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 03:45 PM   #57
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Unfortunately still not eligible here. They only opened up to 65-69 a few days ago.

Thankfully they are delaying the Atlantic Bubble; New Brunswick's gotten bad enough that some of their hospitals are at capacity. But I'm still nervous. All it takes is one person traveling in while infected with a variant and then breaking the 14-day quarantine rule.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 03:46 PM   #58
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Can you please use your mind-link to ask Bill Gates about that million dollars he promised me in an email?
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:31 PM   #59
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
Here in Ontario, the rollout is the most confusing it could be.
Provinces are handling the rollout, while the Federal government is providing the vaccines and some guidelines.
We were supposed to have a provincial website and a line to allow people to register when it's their turn. It does not keep up with the different phases...
So, we also have regional websites, and hospital websites, and cities, and clinics that take appointments, give information that are contradictory, change every 2 days, includes or don't include high risk neighborhood. All of them are adding in the general confusion, and it hasn't been harder to navigate and find the information on when and where people should go to get their information, try to make appointments...

And to add to the confusion, some Postal Code were added to the high risk priority list (anybody over 18 can register for a vaccine shot), but they appear to have less cases per 100K people than the average. And guess what, these are Postal Codes that represent lot of voters for the actual provincial party in place.
On the opposite, real higher risk neighborhood, that voted massively for others political parties at the last election, have not been integrated and won't benefit from a prioritized access to the vaccine...
And you forgot to say our Premier claims it's an easy system to navigate!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:30 PM   #60
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Sounds very similar to the system here. I finally found a text number to get on my city's text alerts. So I found out about 2 or 3 of the pop-up vaccine sites. The third included eligibility for me, so I braced the several step sign-up and got in. Quite easy in person, but the sign up was daunting, if you aren't as computer savvy as I am.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote