Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-04-2021, 07:28 AM   #166
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
I'm in my 60s, and was diagnosed with short sight at the age of 10 when I couldn't see the blackboard in the classroom at my new school (primary classroom was wide and shallow, secondary was the other way round). I also have astigmatism. I can read on all types of screens, but prefer an e-ink screen for long periods; I find the bigger the screen (up to a point), the easier it is to immerse. (I also have arthritis in my hands, and find repetitive swiping aggravates it.)

For lighting, I prefer a strong ambient light. I can read in direct sunlight, but prefer not to - I was told by my optician in my 20s not to go out in strong sun unless I wore a hat and/or sunglasses as I was complaining about day-time headaches. Apparently, it was the glare of strong sunlight that was triggering them.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:01 PM   #167
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
FWIW, I tend to agree with @ottisschwenk. Yes, I could try to use a single device for all purposes however I find having a laptop, iPad Pro and eInk ereader in my laptop bag plus an iPhone in my pocket is a much more flexible way to go. Do some of the device capabilities overlap? Yes. Would anyone want a toolbox with a single tool in it if they had any other choice? For me, the answer is a resounding NO!
What if it was a sonic screwdriver?

Last edited by davidfor; 05-05-2021 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Remove repeated words.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2021, 11:57 PM   #168
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
What if it was a was a sonic screwdriver?
Gimme a hammer and I can "fix" anything.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:31 AM   #169
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Over 50, moderate myopia and astigmatism. My close vision is good and I read without my glasses. I can read for short periods on my phone but long reading sessions result in eyestrain. I have the same problem if I spend too long doing anything on the phone, i.e. browsing stores, not just reading books. I don't have any eyestrain problems with e-ink.

Obviously there are plenty of people who can read on LCD with no problem. I'm glad people are reading whether it be paper books, LCD or whatever so authors will keep writing and publishers will keep publishing. I just hope Kobo, Kindle et al keep making e-ink readers for those of us who prefer them.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:49 AM   #170
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Some can read on LCD for long periods, some cannot. Based on personal experience, I suspect that people that can use LCD a lot can also tolerate / need a brightly illuminated display. A poll would enlighten this subject a bit. I'll have to think about what options to put on it.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2021, 07:35 PM   #171
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I don't know why this is asked over and over and over again. Dedicated ereader equals no glare, better for the eyes. Also if you don't want one simply do not buy one.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:00 PM   #172
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Better for some eyes. That part always needs said over and over again too.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:49 PM   #173
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Better for some eyes. That part always needs said over and over again too.
But my eyes are the only ones that matter to me. What the rest of you zombies read on doesn't bother my eyes.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:56 AM   #174
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
But my eyes are the only ones that matter to me. What the rest of you zombies read on doesn't bother my eyes.
Fine by me. I have no problem with preferences. Only attempts to make those preferences sound like blanket truisms: "eink is better for the eyes. If you don't want one, don't by one" sounded very much like an attempt at a blanket truism to me.

Present it in such away that doesn't sound like you're (rhetorical) touting eink as inherently, objectively, scientifically better for all eyeballs and no one will hear a peep from me.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 12:19 PM   #175
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Fine by me. I have no problem with preferences. Only attempts to make those preferences sound like blanket truisms: "eink is better for the eyes. If you don't want one, don't by one" sounded very much like an attempt at a blanket truism to me.

Present it in such away that doesn't sound like you're (rhetorical) touting eink as inherently, objectively, scientifically better for all eyeballs and no one will hear a peep from me.
AMEN!!!! HLS needs to take a look at the poll that asked the question and now those of us who can read on anything has overtaken those who can't.

The only truism is that what works for EACH INDIVIDUAL is what is right for them and should NOT be applied to everyone else!

Read on whatever you like, and rejoice that everyone can find something that they can read on as well.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 01:03 PM   #176
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I don't know why this is asked over and over and over again. Dedicated ereader equals no glare, better for the eyes. Also if you don't want one simply do not buy one.
WRONG. just set the brightness up. I have the eink set to slightly above the point where the background turns milky white; after that the glare starts. Readability on eink for contrast means a very bright screen so that there is a decent contrast between the background & the letters.

YOUR eyesight may be different. Yes, I do see the flashes of flourescent lights on occasion.

I think that a 10" screen is the better for reading regardless of the screen type if the combo of letters & background permits.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 01:53 PM   #177
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
WRONG. just set the brightness up.
ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY TURN THE BRIGHTNESS UP.

So for glare, we're supposed to turn brightness up, either until it goes to 100%, or until the glare goes away.

And for pain from being too bright, we're supposed to turn the brightness down, either until it reaches 0% or until the pain goes away.

And for pain from pulse-width modulation, we're supposed to turn the brightness up again.

And if we have trouble, we're supposed to rely on eye-care options which automatically adjust.

I for one find 0% far too bright on most monitors. I have to go into the color profile and turn all the colors way down. YMMV.

P.S. I'm currently considering another color-adjustment, and/or an e-ink monitor. I have an awful migraine from going through full brightness during the adjustment process, so it's hard to compare the effects.

Last edited by MarjaE; 05-08-2021 at 02:01 PM.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 02:16 PM   #178
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Each person's eyesight is different biologically; some like to have their devices dim & some want a brighter screen in order to read comfortably.

My needs are different than yours & claims that dimmer or brighter is "best". Grey on grey is not readable for me especially when some fonts are becoming "slimmer" to present more white space.

For me, brighter on the eink means that the background 'milky' white & the black letters are darker. A dim screen means eye strain; my retinas are shaped differently & probably more eye spots than you. Customization of devices is necessaary for comfortable reading no matter what the device is called. A blanket statement of "e-ink is better" is similar to saying "everyone knows that" or paid reviewers for magazines claiming a certain device is "perfect" for reading in the ipad.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:07 AM   #179
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
And for pain from pulse-width modulation, we're supposed to turn the brightness up again.
Which ereader is giving you "pain from pulse-width modulation"?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:21 AM   #180
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Have you seen the Veg-O-Matic my friend? "It slices, it dices, it makes julienne fries!"
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote