Notices

Old 03-13-2021, 12:51 PM   #1
franc
Connoisseur
franc began at the beginning.

Device: none
Count words in whole book

Hello

is there any software for epubs, where I can count words of the whole book, maybe even per chapter?

A feature to count occurences? E.g. search with RegEx (then I could count spaces)?

Sometimes I need to know how long I would read in a chapter or in a page.
I have Moon+ and FBReader (both pro) on my Smartphone, where I normally read, but no way to do any near there, no statistics per book

Thank,frank
franc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 12:54 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by franc View Post
Hello

is there any software for epubs, where I can count words of the whole book, maybe even per chapter?

A feature to count occurences? E.g. search with RegEx (then I could count spaces)?

Sometimes I need to know how long I would read in a chapter or in a page.
I have Moon+ and FBReader (both pro) on my Smartphone, where I normally read, but no way to do any near there, no statistics per book

Thank,frank
With Calibre, you can use the Count Pages plugin. Besides the page count, you get a word count. But if you want pages per chapter, you could use KOReader which is better then both FBReader or Moon+.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2021, 01:27 PM   #3
franc
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
With Calibre, you can use the Count Pages plugin. Besides the page count, you get a word count. But if you want pages per chapter, you could use KOReader which is better then both FBReader or Moon+.
Just installed KOReader but don't find that there, where is that?
Btw: nice e-ink-design
Old 03-13-2021, 01:42 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Just installed KOReader but don't find that there, where is that?
Btw: nice e-ink-design
You can get the pages per chapter in the header or footer. Also, the ToC shows page numbers. I've not used the header, but I have used the footer and have that set to show page numbers for the chapter.
Old 03-14-2021, 04:18 AM   #5
franc
Connoisseur

Great reader, that koreader! I wonder that I didn't meet that eBook reader before
Millions of settings, took me a while to get through and find the footer etc.

But even without the possibility to count words (or anything) and without a RegEx Search, this is enough here for my needs, I can set the remaining minutes in the statusbar

One thing still not working as I please: the 'View mode' > 'conitinous' (reading) is not scrolling useable. I cannot move line-wise, it is very sensitive, a little scrolling changes many lines. With Moon+ this is perfect working, and it is one of the main important features I like. FBReader cannot do that, that why I prefer Moon+ over FBReader.

Is there a way to fine adjust this continous reading?
I didn't find it
Thank!

EDIT: I will ask in the appropriate forum section, I just discovered that
Here: Contionous reading - fine adjust line moving

Last edited by franc; 03-14-2021 at 04:28 AM.
Advert
Old 03-14-2021, 04:45 AM   #6
franc
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
With Calibre, you can use the Count Pages plugin. ...
Tried that on 3.48 (last version for Mac OS 10.11.6) and here it is not working.
Get the error:
Quote:
You must specify custom column(s) first. Do you want to
configure this now?
but in the "Customize Count Pages" I cannot choose "Custom columns" (in both "Page"- and "Word count options"), the DropDown is empty, no way to populate it I think.
Same thing with the "readability options", all three DropDowns are empty.

I will try with PC (W10) and last Calibre...
Old 03-14-2021, 05:56 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Tried that on 3.48 (last version for Mac OS 10.11.6) and here it is not working.
Get the error:

but in the "Customize Count Pages" I cannot choose "Custom columns" (in both "Page"- and "Word count options"), the DropDown is empty, no way to populate it I think.
Same thing with the "readability options", all three DropDowns are empty.
You need to add a custom column first. The instructions for configuring the plugin should be in the first post of the plugin's thread. But, basically, you need to go to the "Add your own columns" page of the calibre preferences and add a column for the page and word count. The need to be of type "Integers". After doing this and restarting calibre, the column will be available in the plugins configuration.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:15 AM   #8
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You need to add a custom column first. The instructions for configuring the plugin should be in the first post of the plugin's thread. But, basically, you need to go to the "Add your own columns" page of the calibre preferences and add a column for the page and word count. The need to be of type "Integers". After doing this and restarting calibre, the column will be available in the plugins configuration.

How can I see both page and word count? This is my plugin configuration, and the word count column - the page count column is identical except for the names. The plugin always generates/downloads a word count, how do I populate the page count column?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wordcount.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	185942   Click image for larger version

Name:	wordcountcolumn.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	185943  
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:55 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
How can I see both page and word count? This is my plugin configuration, and the word count column - the page count column is identical except for the names. The plugin always generates/downloads a word count, how do I populate the page count column?
That configuration says it should be doing both. But, the word count is always done from the book. If you do not have a suitable format, it cannot do that. The page count can be calculated from the book or downloaded. Again, the calculation needs an suitable format. And for the download, the book must have an identifier for the sites you have selected.

Otherwise, there might be an error. If you look at the log after running the plugin (when it prompts) it might tell you something. Or post it for me to see.
Old 03-15-2021, 02:51 AM   #10
franc
Connoisseur

Quote:
Thank! That was easy
In the plugins startpage there is even screenshots:
[GUI Plugin] Count Pages for an example.
I created a custom column pages and another one words and that it.
Works on 3.48 on Mac 10.11
Thank!
Old 03-15-2021, 03:33 AM   #11
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That configuration says it should be doing both. But, the word count is always done from the book. If you do not have a suitable format, it cannot do that. The page count can be calculated from the book or downloaded. Again, the calculation needs an suitable format. And for the download, the book must have an identifier for the sites you have selected.

Otherwise, there might be an error. If you look at the log after running the plugin (when it prompts) it might tell you something. Or post it for me to see.
It was an issue with the lack of identifiers: "(No identifiers for selected download sources)" I have two problems with that - (1), I've never heard of any of the listed download sources except one(see screenshot), and (B) when I did a "page conut download" on all the books in my library, it told me that ""(No identifiers for selected download sources)" for almost all my books, but there was difference of 140 books, and they weren't updated either.

Is there any way to add download source from non-Polish/Czech databases to the list?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	noids.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	185971  
Old 03-15-2021, 10:03 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It was an issue with the lack of identifiers: "(No identifiers for selected download sources)" I have two problems with that - (1), I've never heard of any of the listed download sources except one(see screenshot), and (B) when I did a "page conut download" on all the books in my library, it told me that ""(No identifiers for selected download sources)" for almost all my books, but there was difference of 140 books, and they weren't updated either.

Is there any way to add download source from non-Polish/Czech databases to the list?
For the English speaking world (which apparently includes Ireland ), Goodreads is probably the only one to use. From memory, Skoob is Brazilian so it should be Portuguese. And if you don't want to use one, just uncheck it in the configuration.

Any site with a page count on them could be added. Goodreads was the original in the plugin. The code for the others was written by someone who wanted to use them. And I made changes to the plugin to make it easier to add them. It is now mainly a matter of writing the XPath statement to find the There should also be a metadata source plugin for the site to make it easier to add the identifier. If you want to add one, you can unpack the plugin and look at the config.py to see what is needed. And I'm happy to add it to the plugin. But, from my point of view, not that many of the metadata sources have the page count. And I personally just calculate it from the actual book.
Old 03-15-2021, 02:02 PM   #13
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
And I personally just calculate it from the actual book.
Which is what I ended up doing, but I think I'll have to change the characters per page figure, because compared to the listings at TheStoryGraph, the calculated page counts are all around 30% higher.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:42 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Which is what I ended up doing, but I think I'll have to change the characters per page figure, because compared to the listings at TheStoryGraph, the calculated page counts are all around 30% higher.
TheStoryGraph is probably using some version pBook page numbers. ePub page numbers are not the same.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:38 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I use the Abobe algrothm. But, I only use it as a relative gauge for the length. It would be better to use the word count, but, I don't have a feel for how long that is. I can see that 1000 words is short and 1,000,000 is long, but, I don't really have a feeling for the difference between say 80,000 and 100,000 words.