Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-21-2021, 05:07 PM   #1516
Diane_AZ
Diane_AZ began at the beginning.

Device: none
No - was just happy to be able to convert them and go. It was just something that I happened to notice. Although come to think of it when I tried to convert the other ones (the ones with Limited license I DID get unable to convert and I believe a message about DRM but wouldn't swear to it... I've been pulling my hair out enough lately on different issues (my new Nook and trying to download to SDcard!). Just saw this post and figured I make mention.) (My bf John is more techie than me is posting on the Nook problem right now - B&N Customer Support and the local store didn't even have a good answer )

Last edited by Diane_AZ; 04-21-2021 at 05:11 PM.
Diane_AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:15 PM   #1517
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane_AZ View Post
No - was just happy to be able to convert them and go. It was just something that I happened to notice. Although come to think of it when I tried to convert the other ones (the ones with Limited license I DID get unable to convert and I believe a message about DRM but wouldn't swear to it... I've been pulling my hair out enough lately on different issues (my new Nook and trying to download to SDcard!). Just saw this post and figured I make mention.) (My bf John is more techie than me is posting on the Nook problem right now - B&N Customer Support and the local store didn't even have a good answer )
Obviously the ones you could convert had no DRM.

This issue has nothing to do with B&N. It's entirely possible to remove the DRM from Amazon books (at least as the situation stands now), but it's not so simple as it was a few years ago. Whereas B&N books cannot be de-DRMed, if you can't download them.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2021, 05:22 PM   #1518
Diane_AZ

Yeah, that was kind of obvious even to me. Give me my old paperbacks. Frustrated here as I downloaded with the Prime Video app to my new Nook 10 a bunch of videos only to fill up my new Nook's INTERNAL memory when I bought the max 256 GB SDcard and I can't download to it it seems - just copy files from my PC to it - yippee! THAT's where we need the help but dang, 'rooting'? (faint) One thing I DO miss from my Fire - that I can move files over. (I'm loving my Kobo Libra H2O more and more every day...it doesn't make any possible promises, just ebooks)
Old 04-21-2021, 06:39 PM   #1519
Diane_AZ

Just got off Chat with B&N on not being able to download to SDcard from Internet or even move files once downloaded to the Internal over to the 256 GB SDcard and basically "we'll forward your concerns - sorry - anything else we can help you with?" Also because I had the Nook 10 sitting in a box waiting for the cover because it's too slippery my 14 days expired to return it for full refund. Expensive boat anchor now. I DID suggest they forward to their sys ops people they do what Amazon Fire tablets do. In System Storage they give the option for Videos, Pictures, etc. to download to SDcard with check option. Oh well, maybe someone there will listen. One can only hope...
Old 04-22-2021, 05:05 AM   #1520
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
BN epubs can still be DeDRMed. But it's an effort best avoided by buying elsewhere if possible.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2021, 08:51 AM   #1521
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I stopped buying B7N books when they stopped allowing me to download a copy to my computer.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 10:09 AM   #1522
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Anyone buying our books off B&N, Amazon, Apple or Kobo can contact us with proof of purchase and we'll email a code for the SAME book, DRM free, from Smashwords.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 12:23 AM   #1523
Dob43
Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
BN epubs can still be DeDRMed. But it's an effort best avoided by buying elsewhere if possible.
Yes, as you said best avoided as it is a real pain. I think the best way is to either root your android device or use android studio and get them that way via emulation. I did the second method, takes a lot of drive space but it works. Of course if you don't get B&N books often, you could install it when needed then uninstall after. But it can take 30 minutes or more to get everything downloaded and installed. Might even take a hour or more depending on your system, bandwidth, and which image you use.
Dob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 05:08 AM   #1524
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Getting the key is a pain. But that rarely changes and will work on books from the Windows app. But I've moved over to Kobo and haven't bought anything from BN in years.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:27 AM   #1525
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I stopped buying B7N books when they stopped allowing me to download a copy to my computer.
Apache

Me too
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:45 PM   #1526
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
What was B&N thinking?

When you're not an actual monopoly and you make it harder to do business with you, what do you think's gonna happen to your marketshare?

(Especially when your marketshare's approximately a rounding error anyway)
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 04:56 AM   #1527
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Yeah. And they still sell ebooks and Nooks only in the US. I don't know any other major bookstore who does that. Kobo, Google, Smashwords and most others I know of all sell internationally.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:54 AM   #1528
Dob43
Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Getting the key is a pain. But that rarely changes and will work on books from the Windows app. But I've moved over to Kobo and haven't bought anything from BN in years.
Actually it does now change. When you activate/login with a device it seems to generate a key for that device. If you download with a different device (or different installation) you can't DeDRM that one. I know, I have tried. The only way I could DeDRM is to download it with android studio and use the key from that instance (or root your actual android device and get the key/download with that). If I uninstalled and reinstalled, the key changed and I had to grab the new key. Perhaps it was a fluke but I doubt it.

I don't know why B&N did this, except it was something to appease the publishers. Something they wanted to do since they are tiny in the e-book category. As for why they haven't went international, it is a HUGE job to do international and collect the proper taxes etc (VAT changes between country etc in addition to other taxes). Not to mention exchange rates that change daily. And since they likely aren't making a huge amount of money with it to begin with, no interest in going international.
Dob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:09 PM   #1529
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dob43 View Post
And since they likely aren't making a huge amount of money with it to begin with, no interest in going international.
B&N tried going international. Check the history of B&N in Britain. As a Canadian, I looked at B&N a decade back, around the time they decided they were no longer interested in selling to customers with Canadian addresses.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:09 AM   #1530
MikeOsborn
MikeOsborn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOsborn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOsborn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOsborn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOsborn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOsborn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOsborn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOsborn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOsborn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOsborn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOsborn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle gen10
Well, they threw another grenade at us. At least I had one before. I tried to log into my account today, and they DUE TO CHANGE the password. EW! One problem right off the bat is that it is not easy to update your password in many corners, and in some, you need to deregister (clear everything), sign up and download everything AGAIN. Hopefully, this is not the case with my device, but I'm sure I'll find out soon.

However, Nook for PC stops working when I try to log in, now throws error 1016. They also enforced new password rules, so I'm wondering why it doesn't work anymore.
MikeOsborn is offline   Reply With Quote