Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-02-2021, 07:16 PM   #3871
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The lipc tools are part of the stock system (and that since pretty much forever, IIRC).

(It's a wrapper around dbus, FWIW).

What (and how) are you searching for, exactly?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:17 AM   #3872
alevinetx
alevinetx began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4 nt
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
The lipc tools are part of the stock system (and that since pretty much forever, IIRC).

(It's a wrapper around dbus, FWIW).

What (and how) are you searching for, exactly?
From this page: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kin...king#Jailbreak

none of the lipc-* are on the system

I did a find on /, and only found that one .so library.
alevinetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:09 PM   #3873
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You may be running in diags mode? Don't and switch to main?

Because they're definitely there (and in completely standard paths IIRC).
Old 03-13-2021, 08:56 PM   #3874
entwinedivy
entwinedivy began at the beginning.

Device: pw4
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I jailbroke my PW4, running 11.2, did the whole mr installer and KUAL. I tried to drop the screensaver install into the root directory and every time I went to unplug the kindle, it would come up with a message "invalid update file has been loaded on your device". When I tried to do it through mr installer nothing happened. Now I have a folder for fonts and the readme in that says I can do custom fonts (that wasn't what I wanted but OK) but no linkss folder anywhere.

What am I doing wrong?
entwinedivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:51 PM   #3875
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@entwinedivy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
It's fairly simple: upload all the update packages you need (in one go ) to the mrpackages directory
Old 04-28-2021, 03:21 PM   #3876
N2T
N2T began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3W
Can anything be done with 3.4.2 Firmware?

Hi I have a Kindle 3 WiFi and would really like to set it up for use as a serial terminal, is there a way to update the jailbreak files for the 3.4.2 firmware?
N2T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:23 PM   #3877
NiLuJe
BLAM!

They already work just fine on 3.4?
Old 05-07-2021, 06:51 PM   #3878
tetris11
tetris
tetris11 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle k3gb
Hi all, month long lurker here.
I searched the thread for my issue could not find anyone with the same problem

I have a K3GB (v3.4.2) which I have rooted, and USBnetwork, and screensavers on it. However I cannot for the life of me get Kterm working, either using v2.6 or 0.7. Does anyone have the same problem?

Also, KUAL stops working for me as soon as I enable WiFi, even if I install Mr packages first. I get the "this is not a test device" warning. This only occurs if I have enabled WiFi once on the device. KUAL works perfectly before then (although still no working KTerm)
tetris11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:45 AM   #3879
atonement
Zealot
atonement began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetris11 View Post
Hi all, month long lurker here.
I searched the thread for my issue could not find anyone with the same problem

I have a K3GB (v3.4.2) which I have rooted, and USBnetwork, and screensavers on it. However I cannot for the life of me get Kterm working, either using v2.6 or 0.7. Does anyone have the same problem?

Also, KUAL stops working for me as soon as I enable WiFi, even if I install Mr packages first. I get the "this is not a test device" warning. This only occurs if I have enabled WiFi once on the device. KUAL works perfectly before then (although still no working KTerm)
There's a Terminal built into KOReader. Works as well as KTerm if not better.
atonement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:32 PM   #3880
NiLuJe
BLAM!

It's not so much a terminal as a thing that lets you exec stuff and print its results.

(There's no terminal emulation *at all*).
Old 05-09-2021, 06:06 PM   #3881
tetris11
tetris
tetris11 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle k3gb
So to resolve my KUAL launching problem I tried reinstalling the MKK packages, but sadly to no avail.

K3GB Root and Packaging Process

Core Steps

I decided to a soft factory reset (k3gb, 3.4.2 (2687240004)), after which I loaded in order, with "Update Kindle" resets:

* Update_jailbreak_0.13.N_k3gb_install.bin
* Update_mkk-20141129-k3gb-B00A_install.bin
* Update_ss_0.47.N_k3gb_install.bin
* copy KUAL-KDK-1.0.azw2 to documents/

Note that at this point I have not once connected to WIFI, only USB transfers permitted.
KUAL is currently working at this point, and custom screensavers can be copied into the linkss/screensavers/ folder.

KTerm (doesn't work)

* Download kterm2.6 from the main site and extract it to extensions/

Launch it from KUAL, it just blanks the page and shows the Home again. Doesn't work? Has this worked for anyone with a K3 or K3GB? I tried with v0.7, and also no luck.

KOReader (works great!)

* Download koreader-kindle-legacy-v2021.04.zip, and unzip to USB root

Launch it from KUAL, and wow KOReader is really amazing. I have it on my Android device too, but clearly half the features are missing there (ssh server, multiple news sources, terminal).

Terminal

I could not get the terminal to work properly. It launches (Press "Menu", spanner and screwdriver tab, second page, "Terminal Emulator"), and I can type in it from the virtual keyboard (physical keys do not register except the arrows keys), but I cannot get the menu to navigate to "Execute". I can only hit "Cancel".

Ssh

(Press "Menu", settings wheel, "Network", "SSH server"). This looks great, but I'm scared to enable my WIFI because of a possible Over-The-Air update that will likely block me from accessing KUAL.

USBNetwork (works, but maybe not necessary?)

* Update_usbnetwork_0.57.N_k3gb_install.bin
* (Optional) Update_python_0.14.N_k3gb_install.bin

This is accessible from KUAL, and also offers an SSH server (both dropbear and openssh), but has the advantage that the SSH server can be enabled automatically at boot, so that even if KUAL no longer works (due to enabling WiFi), you can still ssh in and do stuff from the terminal.

Before you enable SSH from KUAL, make sure to edit usbnet/etc/config and change the HOST and KINDLE ip to whatever you want. I changed HOST=192.168.15.201 KINDLE=192.168.15.254. Then to enable USB networking under a Gnome3 desktop, you would set a manual IP of 192.168.15.201, and netmask of 255.255.255.0.

SSH in and change the root password to something good, otherwise use https://www.sven.de/kindle/ to guess what it might be later.

Log out, enable SSH on boot, and if you are daring enough -- enable the WiFi too (YOU WILL LOSE ACCESS TO KUAL). However terminal is completely accessible, and python should be too.

Optware

Optware (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Optware) is pretty cool, it gives a mountable file you can install custom cli apps into. Add to fstab and PATH as suggested in the link. And invoke it with "mount /mnt/optware", then "ipkg -t /tmp install <blah>". If you want it automount then change the fstab accordingly.

Stuff I want to do

I want to get either Arch, Alpine, or Debian running on this device, so I can get some nice Xorg apps running. No luck so far

ArchLinux
Repo (https://github.com/Wint3rmute/arch-linux-on-kindle) and Arch for Armv6 (https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv6/raspberry-pi)

Cannot chroot or proot into it

Alpine Linux
Repo (https://github.com/thomaspreece/alpine_kindle), but it segfaults when trying to chroot in.
tetris11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 03:24 PM   #3882
Check_mate
Check_mate began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Hi NiLuJe,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I read first post and readme file and could not find the answer.

I've been using your hacks during these recent years without any problem, but suddenly I forgot my Kindle password (facepalm) and I had to do a hard reset.

So after that hard reset I think I updated mi Kindle to firmware 3.4.3 and then tried to install your hacks, but I started to experience weird behaviors on my Kindle, like the slide button to turn on/off the screen not working at all.

So the question is: Are your hacks compatible with firmware 3.4.3? If not, what is the procedure? Go back to an older firmware? Which one in that case?

Thank you and regards.
Check_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 05:26 PM   #3883
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Completely unrelated, yeah (as in, everything's fine on a sane device, no matter the FW).
Old 07-01-2021, 10:45 PM   #3884
redbeard1
redbeard1 began at the beginning.

Device: KDX
NiLuJe and all,

Thank you for your posts. I’ve been enjoying customized screensavers and fonts on my KDX 2.5.8 since 2011. My KDX, in spite of its age, is still my preferred kindle.

I’ve recently begun to study Japanese and noticed lots of empty boxes in the text. After some research, I learned that my preferred font (Helvetica) does not support Japanese script.

I installed Meiryo and this font is perfect for Japanese script. But I don’t like it for English script as much as Helvetica.

Question: Would it be possible to use Helvetica for everything but Japanese script and Meiyro for only the Japanese script. If so, how? I read that I should rename meiryo.ttf into CJK.ttf , but I don’t have a CJK.ttf file.

I’ve read much of this thread, but not all of it. Apologies if this was answered.
redbeard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 04:54 PM   #3885
NiLuJe
BLAM!

It's been 10 years, so, I may be misremembering that, but I *think* basic CJK support only appeared with FW 3.x.

(So: no, not on your device).

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet