Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 03-18-2021, 11:26 PM   #1501
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceDeer View Post
I've noticed an oddity while adding some books to shelves. Goodreads appears to have silently changed the Goodreads ID associated with some of them. For example, the book that used to be at https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/47587632 is now at https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/51145665. When following the link there it redirects just fine, but Goodreads Sync throws a "a book with this ID doesn't exist" error when I try to shelve it.

It's not a very big deal to me, I'll just tell Goodreads Sync to relink these books and get their new IDs. But I figured it'd be worth mentioning here. With the API retirement looming perhaps not worth fixing?
The plugin uses the API for most functions. GR probably isn't redirecting that or supplying anything to check what the new id is. I doubt there is anything that can be done except writing a identifier validator that finds the problems. And that isn't something I want to do at the moment.

But, can you run calibre in debug mode and do whatever function it is that triggers this. That's just in case there is something in the logs that might be easy to handle. Post the log and I'll look at it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 01:30 AM   #1502
FaceDeer
Connoisseur
FaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Touch
The error that pops up in Calibre itself is:

Code:
calibre, version 5.8.1
ERROR: Goodreads Failure: The request contacting Goodreads has failed. Please try again.

URL: https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/add_to_shelf.xml
Response Code: 404
b'<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>\n<GoodreadsResponse>\n  <Request>\n    <authentication>true</authentication>\n      <key><![CDATA[UxvtOM3ogQWjfgiCnMleA]]></key>\n    <method><![CDATA[shelf_add_to_shelf]]></method>\n  </Request>\n  <error>\n    <code>40004</code>\n    <generic><![CDATA[One or more parameters contains a value that did not resolve]]></generic>\n      <detail><![CDATA[Book with that book_id not found]]></detail>\n      <friendly><![CDATA[Book with that book_id not found]]></friendly>\n  </error>\n</GoodreadsResponse>\n'
And the debug log reads:

Code:
  File "runpy.py", line 194, in _run_module_as_main
  File "runpy.py", line 87, in _run_code
  File "site.py", line 82, in <module>
  File "site.py", line 77, in main
  File "site.py", line 49, in run_entry_point
  File "calibre\debug.py", line 262, in main
  File "calibre\gui_launch.py", line 73, in calibre
  File "calibre\gui2\main.py", line 516, in main
  File "calibre\gui2\main.py", line 523, in run_main
  File "calibre\gui2\main.py", line 388, in run_gui
  File "calibre\gui2\main.py", line 404, in run_gui_
  File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.action", line 292, in add_or_remove_to_shelf
  File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.dialogs", line 1758, in action_button_clicked
  File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.core", line 323, in add_remove_book_to_shelf
  File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.core", line 151, in _oauth_request_post
  File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.core", line 194, in _handle_failure
I would imagine that Goodreads should be responding with a 301 Moved Permanently instead of a 404 Not Found, but Goodreads hasn't struck me over the years as the best designed web site from a technical perspective.
FaceDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 02:22 AM   #1503
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceDeer View Post
The error that pops up in Calibre itself is:

Code:
calibre, version 5.8.1
ERROR: Goodreads Failure: The request contacting Goodreads has failed. Please try again.

URL: https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/add_to_shelf.xml
Response Code: 404
b'<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>\n<GoodreadsResponse>\n  <Request>\n    <authentication>true</authentication>\n      <key><![CDATA[UxvtOM3ogQWjfgiCnMleA]]></key>\n    <method><![CDATA[shelf_add_to_shelf]]></method>\n  </Request>\n  <error>\n    <code>40004</code>\n    <generic><![CDATA[One or more parameters contains a value that did not resolve]]></generic>\n      <detail><![CDATA[Book with that book_id not found]]></detail>\n      <friendly><![CDATA[Book with that book_id not found]]></friendly>\n  </error>\n</GoodreadsResponse>\n'
And the debug log reads:

Code:
  File "runpy.py", line 194, in _run_module_as_main
  File "runpy.py", line 87, in _run_code
  File "site.py", line 82, in <module>
  File "site.py", line 77, in main
  File "site.py", line 49, in run_entry_point
  File "calibre\debug.py", line 262, in main
  File "calibre\gui_launch.py", line 73, in calibre
  File "calibre\gui2\main.py", line 516, in main
  File "calibre\gui2\main.py", line 523, in run_main
  File "calibre\gui2\main.py", line 388, in run_gui
  File "calibre\gui2\main.py", line 404, in run_gui_
  File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.action", line 292, in add_or_remove_to_shelf
  File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.dialogs", line 1758, in action_button_clicked
  File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.core", line 323, in add_remove_book_to_shelf
  File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.core", line 151, in _oauth_request_post
  File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.core", line 194, in _handle_failure
I would imagine that Goodreads should be responding with a 301 Moved Permanently instead of a 404 Not Found, but Goodreads hasn't struck me over the years as the best designed web site from a technical perspective.
That's pretty much what I expected. This isn't like using a browser to visit a page. This is an API call to a lower level application. The id is supplied as data and forwarding to another value is not necessarily the write thing. If anything returning a 404 could be considered wrong. Other APIs would return OK but return an error as part of the data.
Old 03-20-2021, 01:02 PM   #1504
synecdoche
synecdoche began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I've downloaded the plugin and tried to play around a bit and I can't figure out how to do this.

I've downloaded a CSV of my GoodReads collection and I want to extract the ratings and whether or not I've read each book and record it in Calibre. Can someone provide me with some "explain like I'm five" instructions on how to do that?
synecdoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 03:09 PM   #1505
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by synecdoche View Post
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I've downloaded the plugin and tried to play around a bit and I can't figure out how to do this.

I've downloaded a CSV of my GoodReads collection and I want to extract the ratings and whether or not I've read each book and record it in Calibre. Can someone provide me with some "explain like I'm five" instructions on how to do that?

Check this post to see if it solves your doubts, anything, check again.
(page 86, last message)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1290

Last edited by dunhill; 03-20-2021 at 03:13 PM.
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 05:22 PM   #1506
synecdoche
synecdoche began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunhill View Post
Check this post to see if it solves your doubts, anything, check again.
(page 86, last message)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1290
Thanks—I think I've sorted what the behaviour will be, but I am still not sure how I can point the plugin at the CSV file to get that information.
synecdoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 11:31 PM   #1507
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by synecdoche View Post
Thanks—I think I've sorted what the behaviour will be, but I am still not sure how I can point the plugin at the CSV file to get that information.
The plugin doesn't use any CSVs. I communicates directly with GR. It can pull the information down from GR.

If you want to use the CSV file, have a look at the Import List plugin. It can update your library from a CSV.
Old 04-06-2021, 05:50 AM   #1508
Georgie W
Connoisseur
Georgie W began at the beginning.

Device: KT4 5.13.6
Still problems with syncing large shelves

Deleted post - problem resolved itself.

Last edited by Georgie W; 04-06-2021 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Problem resolved itself.
Georgie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 02:16 PM   #1509
tafoye2384
tafoye2384 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
so according to https://www.goodreads.com/api no more API tokens are being released. How do i use this plugin now?
tafoye2384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 02:26 PM   #1510
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tafoye2384 View Post
so according to https://www.goodreads.com/api no more API tokens are being released. How do i use this plugin now?
You use the API token embedded in the plugin until such time as Goodreads disallows using it. All you need to do is to authorize the plugin with your Goodreads username/password.

Last edited by DNSB; 04-16-2021 at 02:32 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 08:49 PM   #1511
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
If I wanted to make the box that lists the actiions about to be performed when syncing, after the list populated, if I wanted to make that box longer without having to use the slider, where in the plugin would I change it? I would like to easily see what is going to happen when I sync a book. I often have a lot of rules, and would like to confirm what is about to happen before it happens without having to scroll down. That box is less than an inch in height. I can't stretch it longer, it only uses a slider.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 04:34 AM   #1512
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
If I wanted to make the box that lists the actiions about to be performed when syncing, after the list populated, if I wanted to make that box longer without having to use the slider, where in the plugin would I change it? I would like to easily see what is going to happen when I sync a book. I often have a lot of rules, and would like to confirm what is about to happen before it happens without having to scroll down. That box is less than an inch in height. I can't stretch it longer, it only uses a slider.
I'm not sure which dialog you are talking about, but, all of the dialogs should remember their size when you resize them. That could allow you see everything without using the slider. Otherwise, the configuration dialogs are in "config.py" and all other dialogs should be in "dialogs.py".
Old 06-09-2021, 06:49 PM   #1513
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
I am talking about the box in the pic I have attached.
I am not sure where it is in Dialog, however, I can stretch the box anyway (as you can see in the pic) but that little bit below stays shrunk down like that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sync Box.png
Views:	150
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	187591  
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 11:02 PM   #1514
erfly7
erfly7 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
How in the world do you connect calibre and goodreads?
erfly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 11:32 PM   #1515
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by erfly7 View Post
How in the world do you connect calibre and goodreads?
That is the purpose of this plugin. You need to install the plugin and follow the instructions in the help to configure the plugin. The help also has some details on how to use the plugin.

Tags
calibre, goodreads