Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-11-2021, 09:41 PM   #16
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
That's probably a better way to put it, I apologize (probably even though I really don't need to).
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:15 AM   #17
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
That's probably a better way to put it, I apologize (probably even though I really don't need to).
Damn right. People know from habit when one is being subjective on a forum. Happy Reading.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:30 PM   #18
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
I'm looking forward to this reimagining of Gatsby!
What about Jay Gatsby, Vampire?

https://www.cnet.com/news/vampire-gr...s-undead-spin/

Quote:

The famous novel's now officially in the public domain, which means new editions are on the way, including a graphic novel and a horror adaptation.
Quote:

The original Great Gatsby takes place during the Jazz Age in New York City and tells the tragic story of self-made millionaire Jay Gatsby and his romantic pursuit of a wealthy young woman named Daisy Buchanan whom he was in love with in his youth. In the new book The Great Gatsby Undead, the characters are the same, only creepier.

"Nick Carraway meets his mysterious neighbor, Jay Gatsby. Gatsby doesn't seem to eat anything and has an aversion to silver, garlic and the sun, but good friends are hard to come by. Especially an interesting millionaire like Gatsby," The Great Gatsby Undead book description reads.

"When Gatsby asks Nick to help catch a murderer, Nick just can't say no. And, of course, Nick agrees to set up a tea date for his cousin Daisy and Gatsby. It's harmless to reunite two old friends, until Nick realizes the truth he's known, deep down, the entire time. Jay Gatsby is a vampire."
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:33 PM   #19
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
This is what is known as a non-apology.

You can't apologize and not apologize at the same time.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 07:11 AM   #20
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post

Sure you can, politicians do it all the time.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:54 PM   #21
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Fair enough.

But I'm probably the type who'd apologize to someone who punched me in the face because my face got in the way of their fist
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:14 AM   #22
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Fair enough.

But I'm probably the type who'd apologize to someone who punched me in the face because my face got in the way of their fist
Or because you attacked his fist with your face.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 04:32 AM   #23
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Maybe it’s been around so long because it’s that good?
A few months ago I read the War of the Worlds. It's also been around a long time, and a classic at that. I've never read a book in my life (except for some of the Clavell books) that mentioned so many people, towns, cities, districts and parks.

Very little actually happens if you think about it, and sometimes the book comes to a halt for 10-20 pages where the author just info-dumps.

While there are works of HG. Wells that I like, the War of the Worlds is not one of them. Some classics _are_ massively overrated, IMHO. I think that if WotW had been written after 2000, it wouldn't even have been published...
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:16 AM   #24
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
You expressed your opinion. You don't have to apologize for having an opinion.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:18 AM   #25
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post

He had no reason to apologize in the first place.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:27 PM   #26
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
For future filmmakers The Great Gatsby will be as free as.... Romeo and Juliet. But the public domain does not just bring financial freedom, it also provides cultural leeway. Someone could reimagine the story with a more inclusive cast, or set in a different era. They could reinterpret it, tell it from the perspective of Myrtle or Jordan, or make prequels and sequels.
This is what I've never understood about copyright limitations for fiction. People can ALREADY create versions of the Great Gatsby. Just as there are a gajillion retellings of Romeo and Juliet...that don't use the character names "Romeo and Juliet".
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:36 PM   #27
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I do think there are books that became classics because of the time of their release. And once raised to classic status, keep it. And people read them because "they are classics".

Then there are those that break ground...but in the mean time, so many other books followed suit that the original isn't special. I feel that way about Star Wars. If the original Star Wars was released today, it wouldn't be the huge event that it originally was. At the TIME, it was awesome.

Same with the original Star Trek. It's fairly terrible -- in my always right opinion. But I loved it as a kid because I hadn't seen the million sci fi shows and movies that were inspired by Star Trek.

Same with classic books. I don't think they are all just amazing because of the longevity of people's interest in them. I think people's interest in them is primarily because they achieved classic status.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:25 PM   #28
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
[...] Some classics _are_ massively overrated, IMHO.
It's common enough to see, I've said it (or something very much like it) myself from time to time, but I think "massively overrated, in my opinion" makes an interesting clause to analyse.

If I was asked to explain what "massively overrated" means, I'd probably say something like: many people hold a higher opinion of the the work than it deserves.

So the phrase effectively comes to: most other opinions are wrong, in my opinion.

And when put like that, it has a certain ring of self-aggrandizement: my opinions are better than most other people's. Which is correct, of course , just not something I'd normally say out loud.

Quote:
[...] I think that if WotW had been written after 2000, it wouldn't even have been published...
I think this is true of a huge number of books now considered classics. I'm pretty sure LotR would be a different book if published now. The world has changed and expectations are different.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 12:42 AM   #29
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
I think that if WotW had been written after 2000, it wouldn't even have been published...
I guess it's showing my age that this made me think of Bob Newhart's sketch about Abner Doubleday trying to pitch (pun intended) baseball to a game marketer
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 11:02 AM   #30
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
While there are works of HG. Wells that I like, the War of the Worlds is not one of them. Some classics _are_ massively overrated, IMHO. I think that if WotW had been written after 2000, it wouldn't even have been published...
I agree with your opinion of War of the Worlds as a piece of writing.

But your argument about War of the Worlds no longer being special has the problem of: If War of the Worlds hadn't been published in 1897, there may not have been all the derivative works that eventually created their own genre.

If War of the Worlds was published in 2000 and it was still a whole new thing, it would still seem fresh.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote