Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-18-2020, 03:22 AM   #1
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
Strange error message

Windows 10, 64 bit, Sigil v. 1.4.3.
Recently, at opening Sigil, I sometimes receive this error message:
Code:
Error info: Critical: ARB::createContext: wglCreateContextAttribsARB() failed (GL error code: 0x0) for format: QSurfaceFormat(version 2.0, options QFlags<QSurfaceFormat::FormatOption>(), depthBufferSize 24, redBufferSize -1, greenBufferSize -1, blueBufferSize -1, alphaBufferSize -1, stencilBufferSize 8, samples 0, swapBehavior QSurfaceFormat::DefaultSwapBehavior, swapInterval 1, colorSpace QSurfaceFormat::DefaultColorSpace, profile  QSurfaceFormat::NoProfile), shared context: 0x30000 (Der Vorgang wurde erfolgreich beendet.)
Sigil version: 1.4.3
Runtime Qt: 5.12.9
Compiled Qt: 5.12.9
System: Windows 10 (10.0)
Architecture: x86_64
It's not really a problem, as the book will open nevertheless, and the messages doesn't occur steadily. But it's irritating. Soemone who knows what happens there?
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:57 AM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
A google search of the error message produced this:

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-52397

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-58322

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3951007

So it appears to be OpenGL related and Qt Related. Did you have a large number of Sigil instances open at the same time? Have you tried updating your video driver or make video driver related changes?
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2020, 09:13 AM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Upon further investigation, it seems to be caused by an out of memory error when allocating memory for a shared memory space. Or by trying to allocate memory too late after initialization. I would double check my video driver then reboot my entire computer to make sure a memory leak in some application is not causing problems at the system level.

Not much of a Windows person so perhaps DiapDealer may have a better idea of what is going on here.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:36 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I've had the error come up rarely on both Linux and Windows. And like the OP, it never seemed to cause any issues after dismissing it. I haven't encountered it in a long time (though my time spent using Sigil on Windows is rather limited these days).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 11:34 AM   #5
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
I run into such a bug from time to time (Windows 10), but I have never caught it twice in a row. Usually, the next launch of Sigil starts the program without a problem.
I have an old computer and the "latest" drivers are 8 years old, so even if it's related to the graphics card or drivers, there's nothing I can do about it.

I remember this change in the code, but I have the feeling that I see this message on average once every two months anyway.

I do not report it because:
- I usually work on my build, which may have other issues related to my changes, so I don't want to call the guards when only my private build is on fire,
- I can't repeat it until many weeks have passed and the error message reappears.

It is difficult to debug an error that does not want to be caught.
BeckyEbook is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2020, 11:42 AM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer

That change:

QCoreApplication::setAttribute(Qt::AA_ShareOpenGLC ontexts);

is interesting in that the backtraces attached to those Qt bug reports and others that google found showed that the specific error code 0 was associated with failures to allocate shared memory for openGL (which uses in 4 meg blocks).

So it may be related to the problem?

Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
I run into such a bug from time to time (Windows 10), but I have never caught it twice in a row. Usually, the next launch of Sigil starts the program without a problem.
I have an old computer and the "latest" drivers are 8 years old, so even if it's related to the graphics card or drivers, there's nothing I can do about it.

I remember this change in the code, but I have the feeling that I see this message on average once every two months anyway.

I do not report it because:
- I usually work on my build, which may have other issues related to my changes, so I don't want to call the guards when only my private build is on fire,
- I can't repeat it until many weeks have passed and the error message reappears.

It is difficult to debug an error that does not want to be caught.
Old 12-18-2020, 11:50 AM   #7
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
If you mean that with too little memory available in the system (or too defragmented to allocate enough space) – it is possible. I put a lot of strain on my computer, so sometimes memory is too low.
BeckyEbook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 06:39 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've played with Qt::AA_ShareOpenGLContexts in the past, but I'm fairly certain I've seen the error with and without it.
Old 12-18-2020, 06:50 PM   #9
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Good to know.
Old 12-18-2020, 06:54 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

That said: I'm not entirely sure it's necessary. I just know I've see some suggest that it's necessary for QtWebEngine.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-19-2020 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-19-2020, 10:35 AM   #11
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Did you have a large number of Sigil instances open at the same time?
No, always a single one.
Quote:
Have you tried updating your video driver or make video driver related changes?
No, nothing of that kind.
Old 12-19-2020, 10:38 AM   #12
Leonatus
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
That exactly, but my computer is only one year old.
Old 12-19-2020, 04:33 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I've had it happen on brand-new hardware with the very latest drivers. I'm convinced it's a rare race condition of some kind that's causing a spurious warning, to be honest. That's on Windows, mind you.
Old 12-19-2020, 07:25 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Just to toss in that I've seen that error message 3 or 4 times and it doesn't seem to cause any issues nor is it repeatable. I've seen it using the builtin display with the Intel video driver and external monitors using the Nvidia driver though a docking station.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote