Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-09-2014, 10:55 PM   #1
Nina182B
Connoisseur
Nina182B began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Cybook Opus, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura
Why does same font look different on Aura

I love the Felbridge Std font and always use it on my Glo. I got the Aura today and after adding the same Felbridge Std files into the Aura, the way it looks on the Aura is completely different.

I'm attaching a screenshot. Aura is on the left and Glo is on the right.

What can I do to fix this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140109_225049.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	511.9 KB
ID:	117778  
Nina182B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:03 PM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I'd guess that something about the Aura is preventing the font from truly showing and it's instead using fonts embedded in the ebook, or a default font for some reason.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2014, 11:10 PM   #3
Nina182B
Connoisseur

Oh crap. I was willing to live with the darker line at the top. Even saw a dead pixel and was going to be ok with that. But not being able to read on my favorite font.. uggghhhh. I think I'll return it.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:17 PM   #4
Nina182B
Connoisseur

Oh wow, never mind. I had to shut it off and when I turned it back on, the font updated properly.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:17 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I'd say there is no way that those are the same fonts being displayed (look at the lower case "L"). Have you tried a different book on the Aura or even changing to a different font and back again? After updating the reader seems to need to have font reselected to actually take effect (even though it shows the proper name in the selection box). Should be something simple like that rather than that big of difference in the rendering. I'm assuming they are both kepubs or epubs (i.e. same on both?).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2014, 12:16 AM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina182B View Post
Oh wow, never mind. I had to shut it off and when I turned it back on, the font updated properly.
Durn... I was going to ask if you had power cycled or reset after installing the new font since the image had two very different fonts.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:22 AM   #7
RobertJSawyer
Fanatic
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Aura, Mini; Kindle PaperWhite
Kobo devices can be very finicky about the naming of fonts. Make sure all your sideloaded fonts have names in this format (and, of course, make sure the correct name is assigned to each font weight/style):

Felbridge.ttf
Felbridge-Bold.ttf
Felbridge-BoldItalic.ttf
Felbridge-Italic.ttf
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote