Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-23-2021, 07:24 PM   #76
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Interesting - the 'plain' Paperwhite has an Oct 27 release date, no release date listed for the Signature.
So I pre-ordered the Signature - and got an arrival date of Nov. 11 -19. I wonder if Amazon is experiencing the supply chain woes of other electronics dealers, or if this is meant to be their Xmas offering?
Doubtful. The regular version gets shipped as of now 5-7 days after release. The signature is already a best seller according to the site. I'm assuming it's being shipped in order of purchase. Had it in my cart yesterday it said 11-19 arrival. Now it says 19-30 arrival. This is with the free ship option. Anyhow they are just selling a lot of them. The longer one waits to order the later it most likely will get to them..

Last edited by Tony1988; 09-23-2021 at 07:26 PM.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:41 PM   #77
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Doubtful. The regular version gets shipped as of now 5-7 days after release. The signature is already a best seller according to the site. I'm assuming it's being shipped in order of purchase. Had it in my cart yesterday it said 11-19 arrival. Now it says 19-30 arrival. This is with the free ship option. Anyhow they are just selling a lot of them. The longer one waits to order the later it most likely will get to them..
Wowzer! Wonder if it's the wireless charging or the 32G storage that is driving its sales? It was the 32G that pulled me in - I have a ton of the Delphi "Collected/Complete Works" volumes and like to have them all loaded on one device - I can max out 8G easily.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2021, 07:45 PM   #78
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Great, we can pre-order from our local electronics dealer...

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/search?que...Book%20readers
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:27 PM   #79
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Wowzer! Wonder if it's the wireless charging or the 32G storage that is driving its sales? It was the 32G that pulled me in - I have a ton of the Delphi "Collected/Complete Works" volumes and like to have them all loaded on one device - I can max out 8G easily.
For me it includes the auto light adjustment, which I miss from the Voyage. Wireless charging is a plus as I already have charging pads around.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 05:39 AM   #80
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Got my trade in credit and discount, ordered the Kids version with the black cover, no shipping delay for that one! Oct 27. I just couldn't see a good reason to get the non-kids and pay extra for a cover.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2021, 09:00 AM   #81
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Anyhow they are just selling a lot of them.
Or they're extremely constrained in how many they make due to supply chain issues.

Somewhat offtopic, I'm kinda curious if this is Mediatek-based, since there was code in a Kindle source code archive that suggested that Amazon was working on a Mediatek-based kindle. Unless that code leaked from the Fire Tablet source tree, since there are several gens of Fire Tablets with Mediatek SoCs.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 11:26 AM   #82
HarryLime
HarryLime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryLime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryLime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryLime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryLime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryLime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryLime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryLime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryLime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryLime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryLime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G and Wifey
So guys, I have traded in my Voyage which I bought at launch as the larger screen appeals to me. What I cannot decide is... which cover? Any thoughts on Leather versus Cork? Is the Cork there for Vegans or is it nicer.

I am tempted to pay for ads free so I can glimpse the cover of my book as I turn it on. Is the kids version any different or just a regular PW with a cover and charger bundled? In other words will it behave like an adult kindle if I got that.

Last edited by HarryLime; 09-24-2021 at 11:30 AM.
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 11:33 AM   #83
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
I ordered the cork cover for 2 reasons : it seems to be a viable alternative to leather and it's water-resistant.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 02:46 PM   #84
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
This is a major shot at Kobo in Canada. The Signature Edition is 32 GB of Storage for $210 CDN... compared to $350 for a Forma 32 GB edition. The 8 GB PW is $150, whereas the (slightly larger, with page buttons) Libra H2O is $200.

No way I'll be joining the Kindle ecosystem at this point, but it'll be interesting to see how Kobo responds...
I think the base 8gb version is a better comparison with the Libra, which also has 8 gb and is only 0.2 iinches larger. Very similar devices. The PW is 150 CAN, the Libra is 199. Kobo has been outflanked on price and will need to respond.

The forma is 299, but at 8" is not comparable to the 6.8" PW. It compares to the $329 Oasis 8gb which is an inch smaller! So the forma is still competitive.

I'm not sure how Kobo and Amazon compare on 6". Does Amazon still have a lighted touch 6"?

Personally 6.8 is too small anyway. 7.8 is nicer. But it's good to see prices dropping for larger devices. I would like to see a cheaper Kobo 8". I will never buy a kindle for me. It's too closed down. But competition is good. I'm not sure why Kobo released the Elipsa. Seems very niche. Maybe they're just testing the waters.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 09-24-2021 at 02:52 PM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 03:57 PM   #85
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I think the base 8gb version is a better comparison with the Libra, which also has 8 gb and is only 0.2 iinches larger. Very similar devices. The PW is 150 CAN, the Libra is 199. Kobo has been outflanked on price and will need to respond.

The forma is 299, but at 8" is not comparable to the 6.8" PW. It compares to the $329 Oasis 8gb which is an inch smaller! So the forma is still competitive.

I'm not sure how Kobo and Amazon compare on 6". Does Amazon still have a lighted touch 6"?

Personally 6.8 is too small anyway. 7.8 is nicer. But it's good to see prices dropping for larger devices. I would like to see a cheaper Kobo 8". I will never buy a kindle for me. It's too closed down. But competition is good. I'm not sure why Kobo released the Elipsa. Seems very niche. Maybe they're just testing the waters.
Amazon still has the basic 6" Kindle. That has lights now still a horrid low resolution screen. The new PW is cheaper than the Libra but you give up library access and buttons. The Libra can also be thought of as a $130 cheaper Kobo version of the Oasis as they are the same size screen and form factor with buttons. Maybe Kobo will make an Aura 3 or whatever in response with a 6.8" screen or just cut the Libra's price.

Kobo released the Elipsa to compete with remarkable. I feel like there is a place for a note taking/PDF handling eInk device and that's the Elipsa's slot.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 05:38 PM   #86
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLime View Post

I am tempted to pay for ads free so I can glimpse the cover of my book as I turn it on. Is the kids version any different or just a regular PW with a cover and charger bundled? In other words will it behave like an adult kindle if I got that.
It's exactly the same, except there is an item in Settings called Kids. As long as you are not in that part, it behaves exactly like a non-kids kindle. (My daughter has the current version. She's 18 and doesn't use the "kids" part).

I always pay to remove the ads, so this time I just ordered the new Kids version for myself, no ads plus a cover. I will never open the Kids part. I will make sure I am not subscribed to the Kids Unlimited, as well.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:38 PM   #87
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
BTW, I spent last half hour in chat with Amazon support about trade-in credit: it’s telling me that my PW4 in good condition is only worth $5 (same as one not in good condition) instead of the expected $30. They said they would send it to the “Concerns Team”, and that it would be fixed. We will see.

In meantime, I may check to see if any of the family members I have loaned older Kindles to want an upgrade to PW4, in which case, I’ll trade one of those in instead.

Since this thing doesn’t ship until at least the end of next month, not really urgent.
Yeah, I think there's a little bait and switch going on there. The Big Print says my Gen 6 PW has an estimated trade in value of $25. So I click Yes it works and holds a charge, No for screen/body damage and get offered $5. What does it take to get the $25 trade in? I'm prob gonna take them up just to get the 20% discount but but they can stuff that $5 gift card.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:28 PM   #88
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Got my trade in credit and discount, ordered the Kids version with the black cover, no shipping delay for that one! Oct 27. I just couldn't see a good reason to get the non-kids and pay extra for a cover.

If the kids version is Overdrive compatible this is a no brainer. I looked at previous kids Kindles and it looks like they are public library friendly. Can anyone confirm in case I missed some fine print somewhere?
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:54 AM   #89
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I decided to cancel my preorder and wait for a while
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:47 AM   #90
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Best Buy is also taking preorders
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote