Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-21-2015, 03:32 AM   #1
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Kindle Comic Converter can now create KEPUB files

Well... topic say everything.

From version 4.6 thanks to awesome feedback by frozenworks all Kobo profiles output valid KEPUB files.

Sample files
AcidWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:28 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
That seems to work well. Well, one I realised that it was using RTL page direction and tapped the left side to turn to the next page.

The only issue I had is the ToC. For a kepub, each file has to be in the ToC. In this case it uses the file name as the ToC entry.

I did find something strange in the code. Each image is wrapped in a div as:

Code:
<div class="epub:type=bodymatter">
As I hadn't seen that, I did a search. What I found suggests you are setting the epub 3 landmarks. In that case, I would have expected this to look like:

Code:
<div epub:type="bodymatter">
But, I can't find a decent example of the use of "epub:type" outside of a nav element, so I'm not sure.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2015, 10:36 AM   #3
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So Kobo EPUB3 reader ignore both NAV and NCX files?

EDIT:
"For ePub 3.0, Kobo platforms will read the ToC from the ToC table in the nav.html file. When a ToC table is not present, the next available table will be used. If the nav.html is not present, it will populate the ToC with the toc.ncx. If the toc.ncx is not present, it will populate the ToC with the spine listing in the OPF."

Hmm ToC should be ok then. I will check it out.

Last edited by AcidWeb; 06-21-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:47 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I haven't done enough with epub 3, so I am not sure about the nav.html. For kepubs from epub 2, the reader will use the ToC from the toc.ncx. But, it creates a ToC entry for any files in the spine that are not in the toc.ncx. My quick look at your epub 3 kepubs, it seemed to do the same thing.

Also, can you add a straight epub 3 sample? It feels like it is missing especially as the changelog under the list of samples has it as the second point. I expect it will be the same as the kepub samples, but, it would be good for non-Kobo or Kindle users. It might be a good idea to complete the set and add an epub 2 as well.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:59 AM   #5
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

EPUB2 is no-go. Kobo reader can't use full screen graphic there.

Fun fact straight EPUB3 will not work too. I have template and generic CSS that work on Kindle and other readers but it fail to render properly in Kobo kepub reader. I had to include separate templates for Kobo output.

Logic of auto adding toc entries when proper toc is included escapes me.
Advert
Old 06-22-2015, 01:30 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidWeb View Post
EPUB2 is no-go. Kobo reader can't use full screen graphic there.
True, but it can display the book. But, I wasn't thinking of the Kobo for this. I was thinking that your tool claims to generate this and having a sample would allow people using other epub ereaders to get an idea of how it is displayed.
Quote:
Fun fact straight EPUB3 will not work too. I have template and generic CSS that work on Kindle and other readers but it fail to render properly in Kobo kepub reader. I had to include separate templates for Kobo output.
Again, I was thinking for of this for other ereaders. But, I was going to compare the epub 3 with the kepub. And I'm more interested in doing this now as I expected a straight epub 3 to work. Maybe not as well as the tweaked version you are producing as a kepub, but it should work. And I think the version of the RMSDK that the current Kobo firmware uses has some support of epub 3. I'm curious to see how that works.
Quote:
Logic of auto adding toc entries when proper toc is included escapes me.
It is stated in https://github.com/kobolabs/epub-spe...f-contents-toc. That does make it look like it is only for epub 2, but it seems to be for epub 3. Or at least sideloaded epub 3. Maybe it is different if the epub 3 goes through the Kobo CMS.

I think this is done because the rendering, page calculation and time reading calculations are done at the internal file levels. The internal database has entries for each file in a kepub and stores some of these values against them.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:11 AM   #7
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

Ah. OK. Now I understand what you mean :-) There are reason why I don't provide more generic sample to test on other readers:
  • We don't support other readers officially.
  • KCC by design can't create generic files. All images are processed for specific resolution.

But if you choose "Other" profile and provide screen resolution of Kobo - you will get what I consider clean EPUB 3.0 output. Which is really not clean as it will have slightly bloated CSS/HTML due some hacks and styles used only by Kindle. And AFAIK that file render correctly on e-ink devices other than Kobo and Kindle.

Also entire matter is hindered by fact that I don't have access to any Kobo hardware. My work in this case is based on user feedback.

EDIT:
Kobo for PC also display file list as TOC completely ignoring NAV and NCX.

Last edited by AcidWeb; 06-22-2015 at 02:14 AM.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:26 AM   #8
AlterusPrime
Enthusiast
AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Glo
Wow, exactly what i was looking for.
Thanks!

P.S. It's Kobo Glo, not Kobo Glow (in selector on kcc.iosphe.re)

Last edited by AlterusPrime; 06-22-2015 at 04:31 AM.
AlterusPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:39 AM   #9
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

You welcome.

PS. Fixed.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:15 AM   #10
AlterusPrime
Enthusiast
AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Glo
Here comes the bug report.
Got Scott Pilgrim from the web (do own a legal paper copy, writing it just in case anybody doesn't tolerate pure pirate stuff).
It has 6 volumes total, 2 of which start with "Scott Pilgrim vs. " string.
After epub conversion (kobo glo profile) i've got 5 files (instead of 6), one of the files was called "ScottPilgrimvs.kepub.epub".
So i guess KCC cuts the title off the first dot it meets in filename, and second "vs." volume was just overwritten because of that.
Except for that - it's solid piece of software, does it's job well.
AlterusPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:18 AM   #11
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

Yep. It is bug in file name cleaner - I will fix it in next release.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:08 PM   #12
httr
httr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidWeb View Post
Yep. It is bug in file name cleaner - I will fix it in next release.
So for my graphic novels I use to output CBZ and put it in my Kobo folder and it would, now it outputs kepub and can't change that, and when I put it in my kobo folder when I connect the device to the computer and it brings up the DRM message. Can I just use CBZ, or is there a way I can revert to the previous version of KCC?
httr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:40 AM   #13
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

You can change that... Enable advanced mode and choose output format using right selector.

I'm more interested why this DRM error appear...
Old 06-26-2015, 11:59 AM   #14
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

Well another shoot about TOC issues.

Can somebody test this file? If should have 3 TOC entries: A,B,C
https://mega.co.nz/#!Aw0zwRZT!tgXegX...BocM-ug8x1ep4U

TOC in Kobo for PC still don't work correctly but it work on Kobo for Android.
Kobo breaking the rules declared in its own documentation...
Old 06-26-2015, 12:27 PM   #15
frozen works
frozen works began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
No, the test file doesn't display 3 TOC entries. Just has each page individually in the Table of Contents.
frozen works is offline   Reply With Quote