Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-02-2020, 07:48 AM   #16
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I tried this with firmware version 4.12.12111 on My Glo HD and had problems.

I added the line to invert the screen. I saw it in the menu. When I tapped on it, there was a delay, and then my Glo HD rebooted (the screen wasn't inverted).

I tried it in both the main menu and the reading menu.

If I upgrade the firmware in the future, I'll give this another try.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:38 AM   #17
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@John F: Does flipping the setting manually and/or from the Dev menu exhibit the same behavior? Do you happen to have the legacy nightmode hack installed?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 01:13 PM   #18
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@John F: Does flipping the setting manually and/or from the Dev menu exhibit the same behavior? Do you happen to have the legacy nightmode hack installed?
Invert using the ADE page number patch works fine.

Invert using devmodeon works fine.

I don't think I have the night mode hack installed, although I did a couple of firmwares ago.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:53 PM   #19
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
The matching NickelMenu entry for the main menu would be

Code:
menu_item : main : Start KOReader : kfmon : koreader.png
If possible, add this into documentation, at the moment there's only Plato version, it may help koreader users.

And, as idea, not sure if it is possible (so far I used only KSM, not KFmon or something like it), could it autostart some things and thus avoid going to nickel altogether?

Yes, I'm not fan of nickel (as I mentioned, I use KSM), so if it is possible, I would like to skip nickel as much as possible and use something like KSM, which, at the moment, is no longer supported.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 04:04 PM   #20
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Alan_S: The doc will be updated once we can do dynamic listing, as stuff like that will essentially be unnecessary.
In the meantime, see #3 .

And no, the fact that there's "Nickel" in the name should have been a pretty big hint that we kind of need Nickel .

(And you already know my position on the fact that trying to bypass Nickel is a potentially stupid idea, especially on modern devices).
Old 05-02-2020, 04:40 PM   #21
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I tried this with firmware version 4.12.12111 on My Glo HD and had problems.

I added the line to invert the screen. I saw it in the menu. When I tapped on it, there was a delay, and then my Glo HD rebooted (the screen wasn't inverted).
That's probably a segfault due to a difference in the settings vtables. I'll see what I can do about it.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:57 PM   #22
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
That's probably a segfault due to a difference in the settings vtables. I'll see what I can do about it.
Now that is fantastic tech support! You didn't ask me to power cycle. You didn't ask me to logout/login. You didn't ask me to install the latest Kobo firmware. ...

Old 05-03-2020, 06:39 AM   #23
Mavireck
Connoisseur
Mavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo H2O (broken), Kobo H2O Edition 2 v1 (stolen), Kobo Clara 2E
Just a simple message to express my astonishment. It is abolutely perfect! I have dreamt of such a tool for long, it does all I ever dreamt of and even more!
Now I can also remove all my books which were just script launchers, and fully dedicate my librairy to actual books

Thank you all for what you did!
Mavireck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:01 PM   #24
Vetchy
Connoisseur
Vetchy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Sorry for my question, but can you explain me. Does i need to install kfmon or other launcher for using laugh features?
What I need: start Plato or koreader for PDF reading and in other time use default Kobo shell.
How in understand guide of nickel menu.
1. Install nickel menu.
2. Copy kfmon to .add/kfmon
3. Copy plato to .add/plato
4. Create config file nickel menu with next text:

menu_item : main : Plato : kfmon : plato.png

5. Reboot and got menu item called Plato, which laugh this app?

Or I need to configure kfmon separately?

Maybe somebody can write step by step tutorial?
Vetchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 12:18 AM   #25
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetchy View Post
Sorry for my question, but can you explain me. Does i need to install kfmon or other launcher for using laugh features?
What I need: start Plato or koreader for PDF reading and in other time use default Kobo shell.
How in understand guide of nickel menu.
1. Install nickel menu.
2. Copy kfmon to .add/kfmon
3. Copy plato to .add/plato
4. Create config file nickel menu with next text:

menu_item : main : Plato : kfmon : plato.png

5. Reboot and got menu item called Plato, which laugh this app?

Or I need to configure kfmon separately?

Maybe somebody can write step by step tutorial?
Currently, the easiest way to do this is to install NiLuJe's one-click packages for Plato/Koreader, then use the menu items you mentioned in your post above.

NiLuJe will know better than I do, but it may be possible to launch them directly with cmd_spawn. For Koreader, you won't be able to do this until the next version at least.

P.S. I don't know the details, but you may be able to delete the image files themselves for now (@NiLuJe?) so they don't appear in the library when using kfmon to launch the apps through NickelMenu.
Old 05-05-2020, 12:48 AM   #26
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
P.S. I don't know the details, but you may be able to delete the image files themselves for now (@NiLuJe?) so they don't appear in the library when using kfmon to launch the apps through NickelMenu.
Nope, no image discards the action.

I thought about that a bit, but it's essentially a massive refactor for no good reason: if you really don't want an image, then don't use KFMon and just go with a cmd_spawn in NM .

EDIT: Eh, okay, less of a massive refactor than it used to be since a few versions ago, actually. Would probably require a new config key to flag that properly and not unconditionally break the existing "no image == bad" contract . I'll give it a think.

EDIT²: Yeah, that was actually trivial since the config reload refactor. Caught a bug in said refactor while I was there, too ;p.

----

That [cmd_spawn] will behave for KOReader with current **nightlies**, I tested that (NOT the current 2020.04 release, which might break stuff in subtle and not readily visible ways inside *and* outside of KOReader, so, please, don't). I would assume it'd behave with Plato, too, as the launcher script doesn't have 10 years of legacy crap to handle , but I haven't checked that in details.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-05-2020 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-05-2020, 03:16 PM   #27
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Now that is fantastic tech support! You didn't ask me to power cycle. You didn't ask me to logout/login. You didn't ask me to install the latest Kobo firmware. ...
Can you see if this build works: https://github.com/geek1011/NickelMe...ifacts/5699369?
Old 05-05-2020, 03:58 PM   #28
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The link doesn't work for me. It brings me to a page with a top header that says "404 this is not the web page you are looking for" (with a cute little jedi character).
Old 05-05-2020, 04:11 PM   #29
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Huh. Apparently, you need to be logged into GitHub to download GH Action build artifacts.

Reattaching it here.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-23-2020 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Remove deprecated attachment (sorry, bots!).
Old 05-05-2020, 04:27 PM   #30
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Huh. Apparently, you need to be logged into GitHub to download GH Action build artifacts.

Reattaching it here.
I tried this. My Glo HD rebooted, but there is no NickelMenu in the main menu or the reading menu. I also rebooted once.

Tags
kobo, launcher, ldpreload, nickel