Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-07-2007, 10:39 AM   #1
|2eason
Connoisseur
|2eason is on a distinguished road

Device: Tatung Tablet
Iliad v1.1.. what's the point?

The Iliad has been on the market now for over a year now. In that time, it has seen significant advances to it's software, but the limit's of it's hardware have also become apparent.

Irex have said they intend to release a new Iliad, one that differs from the current Iliad only slightly. It will have a bigger battery and there may be some cosmetic changes.

I've have to say though, that it sounds like a really dumb idea. Why put all those resources and man hours into developing 'a slightly better' Iliad, when instead they could be building a proper successor to it.

Why not tackle to lack of sleep mode, why not upgrade to Vizplex and get rid of the travel hub in favour or internal ports. There are lot's of things that could be done, so why are Irex going for such half measures?

In the time it takes them to switch over production to the Iliad V1.1; the Kindle will be out, the Bookeen too and Hanlins V9 might be in a position to directly compete with the Iliad. And, the development time wasted on the V1.1 might mean that the Iliad v2 will be released when Sony has it's own 8" on the market. It might be that even more 'big name' manufacturers will have devices on the market (I'm thinking Fujitsu here).

Currently, Irex make the most capable E-Ink device available, but I don't think that will last long. IMO, they risk falling behind the market if they take such small steps in development.
|2eason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:55 AM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by |2eason View Post
I've have to say though, that it sounds like a really dumb idea. Why put all those resources and man hours into developing 'a slightly better' Iliad, when instead they could be building a proper successor to it.
Hmm, i think its just a minor upgrade. Not too much manpower invested here i think. For a bigger battery you dont need an engineer. And the cosmetic changes to the hull are probably not something that needed months of development.

Quote:
Why not tackle to lack of sleep mode, why not upgrade to Vizplex and get rid of the travel hub in favour or internal ports. There are lot's of things that could be done, so why are Irex going for such half measures?
Probably, because there has been done a lot of work with the iLiad and now it has topay off. I am sure, there are more advanced deviced beeing developed as we write, and hopefully they will address all the things you mentioned. But i assume that it will be at least a year until there will be aan iLiad 2.0. Up to now, the iLiad is the only device in its category. So why change a winning horse as lon as you dont have to. Better to develop something thats another breakthrough and better than what the others have to offer. And right now, there is soooo much development happening, that you probably could only loose bringing a new device on the market, from a business point of view that is.

Quote:
In the time it takes them to switch over production to the Iliad V1.1; the Kindle will be out, the Bookeen too and Hanlins V9 might be in a position to directly compete with the Iliad.
I dont think, that the Kindle will be first. The V9 is probably the first real competition for the iLiad. But thats postponed till December.

Quote:
And, the development time wasted on the V1.1 might mean that the Iliad v2 will be released when Sony has it's own 8" on the market. It might be that even more 'big name' manufacturers will have devices on the market (I'm thinking Fujitsu here).
Some competition will be good for the prices, dont you think?

Quote:
Currently, Irex make the most capable E-Ink device available, but I don't think that will last long. IMO, they risk falling behind the market if they take such small steps in development.
They are still in a leading position. And i dont think, that they are not close to the market. The people at iRex have been developng electronic paper devices for quite some time and they do know, what the market has to offer. I expect rumors of a better device in about a year. Maybe we will see vizplex devices in 6 month, but i am not sure about that. Vizplex is not that big a difference to what the normal eink displays offer. But flexible diplays in color and video capabilities are in the making, but that will probably take another 3 to 5 years to the market.

I personally am interested in all development regarding reading technologies, and e-Ink is the best one out there at the moment. And for the european market there is only the iLiad. And soon the Cybook and maybe the V3. It should only be good for the consumer to get the competition going.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2007, 11:03 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I am waiting for the v1.1 device before buying, but I largely agree with you. What iRex should be doing is working on lowering the cost. If the iLiad cost (say) $550 then there is no way that the Amazon Kindle could compete at $500. I am not so sure about the $400-500 recent price estimate for the Kindle (it seems high to me for a 6" screen), but I'm sure there are price sensitive potential iLiad buyers.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:15 AM   #4
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I understand the "old" iLiad is now out of stock-- I'm guessing that the next shipment of hardware will include the larger battery, etc.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:25 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I understand the "old" iLiad is now out of stock-- I'm guessing that the next shipment of hardware will include the larger battery, etc.
I wouldn't bet on it. iLiads often seem to come in "batches" - at the time that I bought mine (about two months ago) iRex themselves were out of stock, although fortunately their UK agent had one.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2007, 10:31 PM   #6
ig88
Gadget Guy
ig88 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad - iPhone - OSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
Not too much manpower invested here i think. For a bigger battery you dont need an engineer. And the cosmetic changes to the hull are probably not something that needed months of development.
Sure is taking along time...
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:00 AM   #7
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ig88 View Post
Sure is taking along time...
Gotta sell what you have first, i assume.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 07:05 AM   #8
R2D2
Mad Scientist
R2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litter

Device: Zaurus, HTCMagician, iLiad
Btw. tribble, shouldn't you upgrade your avatar with some more boxes now?
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote