Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
boca
Connoisseur
boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Daily Edition details at Sony Style

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665981151

At last Sony post some (few) details of the Daily Edition.

It seems the wireless aspects will be quite restrictive...
"Content outside The eBook Store from Sony will not be available for wireless download, but can be managed through your compatible Mac or PC"

Not enough info for me to grab for my Santa list yet... But I expect the gadget urge will overtake me by Dec!
boca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
boca
Connoisseur
boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Arrow

I see the 'News and Commentry' forum has been discussing this all yesterday.
Advert
Old 09-18-2009, 10:46 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by boca View Post
It seems the wireless aspects will be quite restrictive...
"Content outside The eBook Store from Sony will not be available for wireless download, but can be managed through your compatible Mac or PC"
No really as good as Whispernet. But, then again, I bet more than 95% of whispernet uses is shopping for ebooks or geting them delivered wirelessly after you shop online.

That is certainly true of my usage.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:41 AM   #4
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
No really as good as Whispernet. But, then again, I bet more than 95% of whispernet uses is shopping for ebooks or geting them delivered wirelessly after you shop online.

BOb
Mine too. After the initial playing around with the web browser after I first received my Kindle, I use it 99% of the time to have Amazon send a book to my Kindle after purchasing it from my computer. I just turn on the wireless to download my purchases and nothing else!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:47 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Mine too. After the initial playing around with the web browser after I first received my Kindle, I use it 99% of the time to have Amazon send a book to my Kindle after purchasing it from my computer. I just turn on the wireless to download my purchases and nothing else!
Although I do admit I have d/l'ed quite a few ebooks from Feedbooks using Whispernet too.

BOb
Advert
Old 09-19-2009, 06:56 AM   #6
boca
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
Do you ever use the Wikipedia search option on the Kindle?
I personally would be all over that, since I love to know something about anything at all times

One potential positive, is that if Sony are only using the 3G radio to access the Sony store, then presumably any future feature that includes newspaper downloads would also be available to the other devices via USB cable?

Here's hoping.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:24 AM   #7
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
I personally would be all over that, since I love to know something about anything at all times

One potential positive, is that if Sony are only using the 3G radio to access the Sony store, then presumably any future feature that includes newspaper downloads would also be available to the other devices via USB cable?

Here's hoping.
I used the wikipedia/google searching function in the Kindle a few times but the browser and the whole net access available to the kindles in general is so painfully slow, it's painful just to use the interface... really it's very bad. I know why they keep it in an "Experimental" section .

It's much faster for me to look something up on my iPhone, or even go find a computer...

As for newspaper, you can do that with Kindle too. It's never assumed that owners of the Kindle will have wireless access in their areas so all features can be used (except bookmark syncing!) with the PC. In Amazon's kindle management web page, if you have an actual Kindle device (as in, not just the iPhone app) registered, you get an added option next to your purchases to download the files.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:08 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, I have used it a few times. I have also used the browser to read some head lines or check sports scores. However, it is few and far between when I do this. Usually my wireless switch is off and I am reading fiction on it.

BOb