Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-25-2009, 01:13 PM   #1
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
So What's The Maximum You Would Want To Spend on An eBook Reader?

i've been having debates around the office about how much someone is actually willing to pay for an eBook Reader. i paid $199 for my jetBook but some of my friends aren't willing to spend more than $150 for anything (stubborn mules lol)

obviously there are price discrepencies associated with certain brand loyal customers and 5" or 6" displays. but i want to get an idea going for how much people are actually willing to spend, so let me know your thoughts on how much your ideal eReader should cost and what kind of specifications you would prefer (if any)
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Personally I spent somewhat over US$1000 for my DR1000S. Worth every penny of it to me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2009, 01:19 PM   #3
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
I was willing to spend $300 because I wanted the best ereader. I tend to use my electronics for at least 3 years so I am willing to pay for good quality hardware. Over the long run the 900 or so free ebooks I will read on it make it a good investment.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
I'm probably willing to spend upwards of 350 for a reader or 8" or greater. However, regardless of what extras are put on it.

I don't need wifi, 3g, touchscreen, colour, etc..

A slide-out keyboard would be nice, so it's not always visible. But it's not really necessary.

For a smaller reader, such as 5" or 6", no more than 200-250, respectively.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:29 PM   #5
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I think $200 is a right price for 5" ebook reader and I have several friends who already paid this price for jetBook and they believe that they made the right choice. It is very possible that eBook readers will be available for FREE with some year plan (same as cell phones now) in 2-3 years...
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2009, 03:34 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
It would depend on what I get back for it. As Harry said, I'd spend €600 on a reader with a large screen, touchscreen and the possibility to annotate and make notes (I only wish I had it...). But on a "default" reader, without touch screen, 5" or 6" screen with no more functionality than reading books, I won't pay more than €200. I'm waiting for the BeBook Mini...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:57 AM   #7
Wario
Connoisseur
Wario began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I am very cheap . When it came to buying my prs-505, it was selling over £200. But I was looking on ebay at the time, and got it for £160 delivered.

In a few years time if I ever need another one, it be the same thing not spend more than £180.
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:07 AM   #8
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
The ebook reader has to be competitive with other computing/specialty devices I own. I spent 120 (euros) on a good mp3 player, 300-500 euros on a variety of netbooks - and I feel comfortable spending around the 150-250 euros (200-300 USD) on an ebook reader up to about 8"-9". Of course, I don't want or expect wireless, touchscreen or fancy dedicated bookstores. I spent $220 USD/apx 150 euros (incl tax) on the jetBook and I am very pleased with the price/performance.

I would not have purchased it in Europe at the 300 Euros price. I would not purchase a 6" eink current offering (any flavor) at 300 euros. I'd rather make due with my netbooks. Now, I might invest in an 8" quick-refresh eink offering (Epson controller if it ends up being as good as the manufacturers claim it will be) if the price goes down to around 300 euros ($400+ USD).

I'm willing to wait as I have a very good portable solution in hand.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:49 AM   #9
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I would probably spend 300-350-400 pounds if Sony released 8" ebook reader.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:27 AM   #10
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
Around $250. I pretty much base that figure on the fact that relatively good netbooks are available for around $300, and I find the idea of an eBook reader costing more than a full computer ridiculous.

Of course, $50, $100, or even $200 would be better prices.
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook, ereader, jetbook, kindle, sony