Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-31-2012, 06:23 AM   #1
stanmarsh
Enthusiast
stanmarsh began at the beginning.

Device: galaxy tab
will calibre delete my other files if i used it to store the other files?

hello calibre community!

i have files scattered around several hard disk, i was thinking of a way to create a unified system for files that incorporates calibre.

i have several books in calibre with tags based on subjects (e.g. blender, design). in my other hard disk i have folder based also on subjects blender and design.

calibre uses "author" as folder name, i would swap the "author" to use the "tag" so the "tag" will be the folder name.

FROM THIS

calibre library
-- author 1
---book

TO THIS

calibre library
-- tag 1 (e.g. blender)
---- book
---- videos
---- reference pics

im just wondering, will calibre delete my other files if i used it to store the other files?

thanks!
stanmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:28 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanmarsh View Post
calibre uses "author" as folder name, i would swap the "author" to use the "tag" so the "tag" will be the folder name.
Within calibre's library structure calibre will always use the author field for the top level folder name, then use the title field for the second level folder name. There is no way around this. Read this sticky post from the top of this forum for more info.

This thread from earlier today discusses storing extra files in a book folder.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-31-2012 at 06:31 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2012, 06:47 AM   #3
stanmarsh
Enthusiast

hi dwanthny,

thanks for the reply, i'm aware that calibre uses the author for the main folder name, i don't need the names of the author that's why i'm going to use the subjects on my "tags" as the author so it will show up as the main folder.

i would then merge my files with the same subject in calibre library.

e.g.

hard disk 1
2 books in calibre with tags "blender"

hard disk 2
a folder with subject "blender", inside we find folder "blenderart magazine" , "blender tutorial vidoes"

hard disk 1 ( with calibre library, swap author with tag "blender" thus author is now "blender")

calibre library

-blender
-- book 1 folder
-- book 1
-- opf
-- book 2 folder
-- book 2
-- opf

hard disk 2

-blender
-- blender magazine
-- magazine 1
-- magazine 2
-- blender tutorial videos
-- introduction.flv
-- how to create a ball.flv

------- ------

harddisk 1 + hard disk 2 =

calibre library

-blender
-- book 1 folder
-- book 1
-- opf
-- book 2 folder
-- book 2
-- opf
-- blender magazine
-- magazine 1
-- magazine 2
-- blender tutorial videos
-- introduction.flv
-- how to create a ball.flv

i don't want calibre to handle the other files, just the books. i will handle the other files manually.

i checked the links you gave and it seems that it might work because calibre is very careful in deleting anything.

hope i'm clearer.

thanks !

Last edited by stanmarsh; 07-31-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:52 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Yes, clearer now. Did you read the other thread I pointed you to?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:00 AM   #5
stanmarsh
Enthusiast

yes but after i replied. sorry been pretty excited with the idea. i checked the links you gave and it seems that it might work because calibre is very careful in deleting anything. but its not recommended. i would probably assume that no one is doing it here. i guess i'll just try it later at home.

thanks!
Advert