Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-24-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
rpmazur
Connoisseur
rpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheese

Device: Calibre (for MAC), MoonReader (Android)
Tethering

Has anyone tried to tether the Fire to a smartphone for those times that WiFi isn't available?

Just curious, it's not a deal breaker for me, just a curiosity thing.
rpmazur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:57 PM   #2
TechnoCat
Zealot
TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Kindle Fire
In general terms, it won't work because the Kindle Fire cannot support Peer-to-Peer (adhoc) networks, only structured networks. It's an unusual limitation for an Android device, and is why some devices like the Wi-Drive need special drivers.
TechnoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Good thread. I think this is being updated so it will work with the Fire:
http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

http://androidforums.com/lg-esteem/4...e-no-wifi.html

I will be trying this soon.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmazur View Post
Has anyone tried to tether the Fire to a smartphone for those times that WiFi isn't available?

Phones that are Wi-Fi hotspot enabled should work with the Fire. Just like any other Wi-Fi hotspot.

Here is some information that may come in handy. It is from a MobileRead forum member who was trying to use an iPhone 4 as mobile hotspot with their Entourage Pocket Edge which is an Android based tablet. They got it to work without any rooting (jailbreaking) their phone or the Android tablet.

I am posting this via being tethered to my iPhone. You are not going to believe what the problem was --appostrophes; as in my phone's name being Dee's iPhone. I had this niggling feeling they might have been screwing something up, but it wasn't until I read the link above about ad-hoc networks and it said right there in black and white, "apostrophes may render the network unreadable." I renamed my iPhonee and BANG! got in. I still had to do some tweeking, like reset the PE and turn my hotspot on and off before I made a real connection.

This is from another Pocket Edge owner who successfully tethered their Android tablet to an Android smart phone:

Just to let folks know the PE establishes wifi connection just fine with phones that are wifi hotspot enabled. Nexus S comes to mind. Anyone else have experience with this?

So yes, it should be possible.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-24-2011 at 02:06 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
I used Personal Hotspot on my iPhone to connect the Fire and it worked perfectly.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2011, 05:54 PM   #6
nickinev
Enthusiast
nickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the rough

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 1, K4, and Kindle Fire
I used mywi on my iphone and it worked!
nickinev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoCat View Post
In general terms, it won't work because the Kindle Fire cannot support Peer-to-Peer (adhoc) networks, only structured networks. It's an unusual limitation for an Android device, and is why some devices like the Wi-Drive need special drivers.
This has been my experience. When tethering, my phone broadcasts as Ad-Hoc, rather than Infrastructure. My laptop can connect to it, but the Fire does not see it at all. Still testing.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:41 AM   #8
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Tethering the Fire to my LG Optimus V (VirginMobile prepaid) hotspot works perfectly.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
ectoplasm
Addict

After digging in deeper, my understanding is the Fire does not support Ad-Hoc connections. Apparently most newer phones support Infrastructure connections when tethering, but not my old original Droid.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I was able to connect to my Samsung Galaxy SII, however, discovered something ugly, Tmobile blocked it on my new cellphone. If was working on my 4G Android Sidekick. But thats a different issue.

**EDIT**

My 4G Sidekick works. I guess I will have to keep it as backup Android cellphone or device. That one runs Froyo, Galaxy SII runs. Gingerbread.

Last edited by jocampo; 11-26-2011 at 03:10 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #11
Virginia James
Virginia James began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
I have an android LG Optimus Slider, and this download worked like a charm:
http://code.google.com/p/android-wif...3_1-pre110.apk
Virginia James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #12
ratkity
Enthusiast
ratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five words

Device: Old Sony, Kindle 3G, Kindle Fire
I tether to my droid bionic all the time. Careful that some data plans have a 2gig download limit. I'm grandfathered under the old limitless data plan. Good thing because I tried some Amazon Prime Instant Videos and that upped my normal 500mg data usage to 3.6gig pretty quickly.

Hugs,
Ratkity
ratkity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #13
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
You can get help info on thethering your Android or iPhone to your Fire here:

http://theunofficialkindlefireblog.c...ess-on-the-go/

http://theunofficialkindlefireblog.c...ess-on-the-go/
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #14
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmazur View Post

My Samsung Galaxy S2 allows the KFire to run things at what it says is 5-6Mbps (I'm near San Francisco, which has AT&T's 4G or a hybrid version of it, though I'm across the bay). The Link speed is seen as 65Mbps vs my Home router's 56Mbps on a Netgear N300. I played video on the KFire at a dog park and there was no stuttering of video at youtube.

AT&T supports the tethering, at $20/mo. add'l and it's worth it for me. I ran a Kindle Fire and a Kindle Touch and Kindle 3 at the same time with no slowdowns that I noticed. The KFire was doing video.

- Andrys
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #15
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrys View Post
AT&T supports the tethering, at $20/mo. add'l and it's worth it for me.

- Andrys
That's the part I don't get it

Why pay if should be or can be free? That's the only reason why I have not sold my 4G Sidekick, because supports tethering without any rooting, free of charge,

I hate AT&T ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote