Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-19-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
Lianne
Nameless Being

Question [Old Thread] iPod Question: Calibre and MegaReader?

I have an iPod Touch 4th Gen now and there is a great app called MegaReader, on their FAQ page they say that

Quote:
How can I import my own DRM-free ePub books into the app?

The easiest way is to import your books into the free Calibre eBook Management software, on your Mac or PC, and turn on the Calibre Content Server in the preferences. If your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad is connected to the same network as your Mac or PC, then it should automatically recognize and add the Calibre library to your list of book catalogs.

If MegaReader doesn’t find the catalog automatically, first try restarting the Calibre app. If that doesn’t work, then try resetting your device. If it still isn’t recognized then you can add the Calibre address manually. The Calibre catalog address is usually something like http://yourhost:8080/opds.
USB access: I tried this yet nothing I do makes the Calibre program recognize my iPod when connected directly to the cpu, how do I fix this? We are running Windows 7. I did everything on the Calibre Help page for connecting the iPod by USB and I am running Calibre v 0.7.2.8 and also iTunes v 10.1. Oh an obviously my iPod is running the new iOS 4 so all my software is up to date.

Wireless access: I have downloaded Stanza 3.0.3 for my iPod and I am seeing “Books in calibre” in the program but when I chick on it I then get a message "Catalog error, the request timed out." I have the share option enabled and changed my device from Nook to iPad.

Last edited by Lianne; 11-19-2010 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Adding addional details
Old 11-19-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
QuickReader
QuickReader has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPhone / iPad
Hi Lianne,

Sometimes firewalls impede the ability for MegaReader to connect to Calibre over WiFi. Try turning off your firewall, if it is enabled, to see if that helps. To test that everything is setup properly, enter the Calibre URL in Safari on your device and make sure that you can see the catalog.

All the best,
Patrick

---
Patrick Thompson
Inkstone Software, Inc.
www.megareader.net
www.quickreader.net
QuickReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
Lianne
Nameless Being

Thanks Patrick,

I temporarily turned off our BitDefender Firewall and both MegaBooks & Stanza were able to pull up my Calibre library remotely. I also saw that I can connect Calibre to iTunes and drag books into the Stanza app shared folder for my iPod.

I'm going to scrutinize the two and see which I like best.

Last edited by Lianne; 11-19-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:26 PM   #4
Jisrael
Jisrael began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Catalog error

I have a ipad2 with a 4.3. I have been thrown off stanza and recently bought megareader and both giving me the same problems with errors when downloading content. I have tried connecting to the Calibre web address listed previous with safari timing out. iBooks is not a option. I have tried calibre with the code 8787 also with no luck. I did not have this problem until a week ago. I have contacted megareader and apple with this problem just waiting for some advice that will work.
Jisrael is offline   Reply With Quote