Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-03-2017, 01:02 PM   #1
MaxWidth
MaxWidth began at the beginning.

Device: None
Maximum line width on reader?

Hello,

I installed Calibre recently and tried to open a book and to my surprise, it does not have a sort of line width option, which is... surprising considering it has one on full screen mode (which I don't like much).

Is there a way to set the maximum line width to 60-70 characters? I have a very large monitor on 2560×1440 and lines soooooo wide are unreadable :\. The alternative is to resize the screen but I can't concentrate like that.

Help?
MaxWidth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 01:19 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxWidth View Post
Hello,

I installed Calibre recently and tried to open a book and to my surprise, it does not have a sort of line width option, which is... surprising considering it has one on full screen mode (which I don't like much).

Is there a way to set the maximum line width to 60-70 characters? I have a very large monitor on 2560×1440 and lines soooooo wide are unreadable :\. The alternative is to resize the screen but I can't concentrate like that.

Help?
Change the number of columns.
Inside the viewer Preferences: General (tab): Textlayout in paged mode: The number of pages to show on each screen

BTW 70 chars is so (fixed width font, ASCII terminal) thinking
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:24 PM   #3
MaxWidth

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Change the number of columns.
Inside the viewer Preferences: General (tab): Textlayout in paged mode: The number of pages to show on each screen

But I want it single column... I can't focus with more than one column (yes, I have some attention span issues).

I want something like I'm reading a PDF document; single page at a time, one column, with a maximum width of like 30% of my screen. Well, more like I need it.

I know it's a bit old-school, but it's really the only way I can focus on reading.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:31 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Just change the width of the Calibre Viewer window. Make it narrower.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:34 PM   #5
MaxWidth

Sorry, but I can't focus on the text like that
Old 09-03-2017, 02:39 PM   #6
MaxWidth

Nevermind, I got it how I wanted it to using the custom CSS

body {
margin:40px auto;
max-width:650px;
line-height:1.6;
font-size:18px;
color:#444;
padding:0 10px
}
Old 09-03-2017, 02:41 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd like to make a suggestion. I would suggest you get a 6" eInk Reader such as Kobo or Kindle.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:12 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'd like to make a suggestion. I would suggest you get a 6" eInk Reader such as Kobo or Kindle.

With the added benefit of not staring into a lighted display
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:38 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

With the added benefit of not staring into a lighted display
Or one that's too big.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:08 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use full screen mode, then there is an option in the viewer preferences under Fullscreen options to control max width.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote