Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-05-2014, 09:55 PM   #61
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Jane Austen wrote more than 30 years ago.
Also, sorry I discovered that Dickens was on the list.
The announcement I read didn't state that the books had to be written in English, but I guess they need to be available in English. Gabriel Garcia Marquez wrote in Spanish as an example.
Forgive me, I was referring to what I see as a strong bias in the list towards more recent works, and works written in English as opposed to translated. I'm not saying that there should be a quota for translated/older literature but surely there is a lot of fluff on the list that could have been left off.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:07 PM   #62
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Ahh, I see. Hence why I was surprised by the lack of some Classics.
I understood the list as if you'd live to be a 100 years old, here is one book you should read every year of your life. But I guess they would have ordered it chronologically instead of alphabetically if that was the case.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:18 PM   #63
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
55 on the Amazon list. It's a weird list, though, although the fact that I happened to read random things like Persepolis, The Omnivore's Dilemma, Me Talk Pretty One Day, and Moneyball boosted my score.

I like the list, but I disagree with its description. Moneyball, Me Talk Pretty, Gone Girl, and Kitchen Confidential are all books that I liked, but they don't really belong in anyone's lifetime "bucket" list. Nor do many others on the list.

However, what I like about the list is that it is a good list to turn to when you want to read something new and maybe break out of a rut. It has good answers to the question "What should I read this weekend?", but its answers to the question "What are the 100 most books everyone should have read in their life?" are not as good.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:21 PM   #64
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
37, but I think it was weighted toward newer books they're hoping the list will help generate sales for.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:28 AM   #65
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
No Virgil, Homer, Shakespeare, Dickens, Verne or Melville?
The Amazon list had:

Great Expectations by Dickens

The Goodreads list had:

A Tale of Two Cities, A Christmas Carol, Great Expectations by Dickens
Hamlet, Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:14 AM   #66
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
37 for me - a very odd mixture with huge omissions.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:51 AM   #67
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
I've read about 14 of them, but more are on my TBR list.
What I like about those lists is that it gives an idea of what to read to get a better glimpse of a different culture.
Not everyone reads those books, but I guess almost everyone has at least heard of them. So they (plot, characters...) can be used as references in everyday conversation, advertisements...
My mistake, I have only read nine books from the Amazon list. The 14 read ones are on the GR list.
Several books from both lists are on my TBR, so the number will go up soon.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:25 AM   #68
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
17 for me on the amazon list. I think about 10 more on my TBR list. The rest I have no real interest in.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:47 AM   #69
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
I'm at 24.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:19 PM   #70
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
21 of the Amazon books

36 of the Goodreads books
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:42 PM   #71
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

As it currently stands I've read 50 out of the 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list at Goodreads. Having no interest in any of the Harry Potter books or the Hunger Games books is very limiting for me. On the other hand I'm not sure that listing all of Shakespeare's plays individually makes sense, but it does up my total.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:13 PM   #72
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I've read 64 of the Goodreads one, but my degree is in English and I took a lot of literature classes.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:24 PM   #73
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura one, htc 10, kobo glo hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
As it currently stands I've read 50 out of the 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list at Goodreads. Having no interest in any of the Harry Potter books or the Hunger Games books is very limiting for me. On the other hand I'm not sure that listing all of Shakespeare's plays individually makes sense, but it does up my total.
I actually stopped counting once I got to the third listed HP book.
I have read them all, but I don't think any series should take up more than one spot.
peachiekene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #74
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I just checked the Goodreads list... 73. Most of the others seem to be "Great American Classics" that I don't have a whole lot of interest in.

It would be nice to look at an Australian version.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:35 PM   #75
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
It would be nice to look at an Australian version.
Would that list include The Very Hungry Koala?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote