Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 09:56 PM   #16
Lester Burnham
Enthusiast
Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 902, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
So, do the comics have the same feel to you as you read them, or does the colour to grey scale switch give them a different flavour?
That's a good question. It's definitely different. The ereader comic pages can't get torn or folded so that's nice not to worry about. And I like that it's black and white. I've always had fondness for old b&w movies and tv shows so this is pretty cool to me.
Lester Burnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #17
jpsoulac33
jpsoulac33 began at the beginning.

Device: pocket book pro 902
Hello,

i find a new way to read good comics: you have to install the new firmware (2.1.2 beta), and then you have to use calibre to convert your cbr on an epub (kindle dx); after that, you read the epub with fbreader and on the settings you select small marges (on french sorry). The letters and the drawings are as good as the jpeg format. Now you can read a comics, quit it and after you can come back on the good page. Enjoy...
jpsoulac33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #18
Lester Burnham
Enthusiast
Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsoulac33 View Post
Hello,

i find a new way to read good comics: you have to install the new firmware (2.1.2 beta), and then you have to use calibre to convert your cbr on an epub (kindle dx); after that, you read the epub with fbreader and on the settings you select small marges (on french sorry). The letters and the drawings are as good as the jpeg format. Now you can read a comics, quit it and after you can come back on the good page. Enjoy...
What's the upside to all that? In PDF format, you can zoom in or out to whatever works best for the page/user. And it remembers the page when you quit so you can return to where you were. Can epubs zoom in/out?
Old 10-04-2011, 03:32 AM   #19
jpsoulac33

You can't zoom in/out but you can really read the page without zoom. It's look like you read a page of a comic book and it's very simply and pleasant to read a comic in this format... Maybe it depends of the police of the comics (some comics where the writing is very small is not practicable but for the others is very nice)
Old 10-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #20
Hekse-Mie
Boekenwurm
Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 623, 903 & 603, 360+, Sony 600, Irex Iliad
Lightbulb

I prefer e-pub too for my comics. For me it isn't a problem either that I can't zoom.
Because I wasn't pleased with the way Calibre converted cbr/cbz to e-pub, I now make my comics for e-reader with Sigil.

First I made an e-pub with only 1 image (a cover) and as many pages as are in the comic I want (two examples I added as attachment).
I adapted the .html code of each page in a way that when I import the images, the images will show.
I unzip/unrar the cbz/cbr to images. These images I always name in the same way : cover.jpeg, 002.jpg, 003.jpg...
I remove the remaining image, I then import all the images of the comic with Sigil into the e-pub (=add existing items).
If nessecary, I remove the empty pages at the end, or I create some new, using the same .html code as the previous pages, but adding each time 1 at the image number.
I put the title in Tools > Meta Editor and then save as...
Attached Files
File Type: epub Comic-50pgs.epub (584.5 KB, 191 views)
File Type: epub Comic-90pgs.epub (598.3 KB, 186 views)
Hekse-Mie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:46 PM   #21
Lester Burnham
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hekse-Mie View Post
I prefer e-pub too for my comics. For me it isn't a problem either that I can't zoom.
Because I wasn't pleased with the way Calibre converted cbr/cbz to e-pub, I now make my comics for e-reader with Sigil.

First I made an e-pub with only 1 image (a cover) and as many pages as are in the comic I want (two examples I added as attachment).
I adapted the .html code of each page in a way that when I import the images, the images will show.
I unzip/unrar the cbz/cbr to images. These images I always name in the same way : cover.jpeg, 002.jpg, 003.jpg...
I remove the remaining image, I then import all the images of the comic with Sigil into the e-pub (=add existing items).
If nessecary, I remove the empty pages at the end, or I create some new, using the same .html code as the previous pages, but adding each time 1 at the image number.
I put the title in Tools > Meta Editor and then save as...
That's a lot of steps. Am I missing something by bulk converting to PDF, tossing it on the card and getting straight to dorky comic business?
Old 10-06-2011, 08:27 PM   #22
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester Burnham View Post
That's a lot of steps. Am I missing something by bulk converting to PDF, tossing it on the card and getting straight to dorky comic business?
You are missing a table of contents, but it's usually not that important in a comic book.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:33 PM   #23
Lester Burnham
Enthusiast

Oh, ok. I thought it had something to do with how it looks. I do like my ebooks to be in epub format though. Thanks,
Old 10-06-2011, 09:03 PM   #24
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
One other advantage of epubs is that you can assign cover art that will show up as a thumbnail in the Library chooser. I'm not sure if you can do that with pdf files.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:08 AM   #25
jpsoulac33

It's true, with epub format you can see the cover on the library... you can't with pdf.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:15 AM   #26
Hekse-Mie
Boekenwurm
Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
You are missing a table of contents, but it's usually not that important in a comic book.
You're right, for comics a TOC is not very important, but it would be nice if one was added, for those who like it. I didn't figure out (yet) how to make this in a comic. I think it can be done by making a heading of the images, but the TOC shows a blank, because there is no text.

Last edited by Hekse-Mie; 10-07-2011 at 03:36 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:35 AM   #27
Hekse-Mie
Boekenwurm

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester Burnham View Post
The first two steps only have to be done once .
But I also wanted my comics in color and Calibre converts cbr/z to epub in black&white, for use on a tablet, which wasn't a great succes btw.
I'm sure that converting to PDF is quicker, but I don't mind. Most of the comics I have, aren't ripped by myself, and often the images need editing. So the step of renaming the images can be done at the same time.
When I do scan the comic myself, I can name the images to my liking, in that case, I don't need to convert to cbr/z, I can put the images in the comic e-pub.
And as said, epub has cover-art

Tags
comics, pocketbook pro 902