Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-21-2010, 02:38 AM   #1
zzzxtreme
zzzxtreme began at the beginning.

Device: nook
ipad too heavy for ebook reading - imho

well, tried the ipad. the screen is not bad. reflection is not too bad of a problem, since i can crank up the contrast to use with anti-glare-reflection protector thingey.

but the thing is, try reading a pdf like a book or kindledx, it is considerably heavier. I underestimated it's weight. don't get me wrong, the weight has no competition amongst the tablet peers. But ipad is not there yet as an ebook reader.

so now I'm left without any ebook reader, impatiently waiting for readers from Acer or the upcoming windows slates and wishing amazon would add Wifi to kindle DX

Last edited by zzzxtreme; 07-21-2010 at 02:40 AM.
zzzxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:51 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's no heavier than a typical hardback book. Personally I find it to be absolutely fine, but I realise that we all have different views on these things.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:55 AM   #3
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I'm a wuss. Even if I held up my hands empty for hours, they'd tire. I prop everything -- iPad, Kindle, print books. I'd like a lighter tablet for on the go, but it doesn't matter if I'm reading it propped. I use a cheapo plate holder that's pretty indestructible and works with all my devices, at myriad angles. It's good on flat or bumpy surfaces. It even works on cushions; I'm typing with iPad in it now, atop a cushion, as I'm slouched in an easy chair. It cost two or three bucks.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 07-21-2010 at 04:00 AM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:32 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
As Harry says, the iPad is no heavier than a reglar hardback, ZZZ. On the other hand, one of the most appealing advantages of a dedicated device to me is that it's a lot lighter than a regular hardback. I find reading a hardback or even a paperback these days darned uncomforftable. Mind you, the ebook reading function is only one of many features the iPad offers. I can understand its enthusiastic reception. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:36 AM   #5
harakiri
Groupie
harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
thats why I am still using my Sony to read books on the train to work.

But using the iBook "only" as an ebook reader is a waste IMHO
harakiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:44 AM   #6
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
It's no heavier than a typical hardback book.
That's why i don't buy hardback, too heavy

With a few exception i've read at home.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 07-21-2010 at 04:49 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:15 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
The iPad is actually a very nice bookreader; these days, I find myself using it in preference to my eInk devices. It's especially nice for marking text when proofreading - much faster to do on the iPad than on eInk readers.

You're right, though; the fact that the iPad can also do so many other things is a bonus. These days, when I go away from home, I no longer take my netbook, because I use the iPad for web browsing, e-mail, etc. It really can replace a notebook for pretty much everything I take a notebook away with me for.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:01 AM   #8
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I don't have a problem with the weight, but I can see how someone could. I doubt in the near future (next few years) you're are going to see anything much lighter in the tablet form.... The good news is, with the iPad shaking up the industry, little eInk readers are a whole lot cheaper than they were BI (before iPad)

Remember, if you have not had your iPad longer than two weeks you can take it back....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:21 AM   #9
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
I saw an ipad in real life today on the train for the first time. Much smaller than how I perceived it to be from the apple website. Maybe 3x smaller.
Zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:45 AM   #10
harakiri
Groupie
harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I don't think that size is an issue. Its actually heavier than most people anticipate it.
It has a huge battery inside and that makes it heavy (this and probably the aluminium enclosure)

I use the iPad for reading comics (color!, take that Sony), browsing, eMail, watching TV series.
I hooked it up to our company network via VPN and can now access all our online services.

Only thing I currently don't like so much is using its iPhoto app. Its too limited to my taste. But at least it works as an image tank nicely

Beats my netbook anytime (poor Dell mini ... )
harakiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:46 AM   #11
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
For my purposes the iPad is NOT too heavy. I find it quite comfortable to hold while reading. I can see that it would weigh too much for some but if you can hold a hard cover comfortably then the iPad should not be a big deal weight wise. I don't buy many hardcovers, (I let the library do that for me) but I do read a lot of them.
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:58 AM   #12
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post

I don't think so at all. I bought the cheapest ipad at 499. Yea, that's pricey for an ereader and I use my ipad 95% of the time for reading. Its really nice though that other 5% to relax, play a game of chess, look something up, order something without having to go in the other room and boot up the imac.

As far as weight goes, I don't notice it. Seems fine for me.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:01 AM   #13
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorz View Post
I saw an ipad in real life today on the train for the first time. Much smaller than how I perceived it to be from the apple website. Maybe 3x smaller.
you sure it wasn't an iphone?
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:11 AM   #14
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The iPad is actually a very nice bookreader; these days, I find myself using it in preference to my eInk devices. It's especially nice for marking text when proofreading - much faster to do on the iPad than on eInk readers.
To hold a device which has almost 1 kg weight is uncomfortable on the long run. It's the same with heavy books.

And I know another reason the iPad is that heavy. Steve Jobs will go with the technological progress and will tell us: 'The new iPad 2 is the lightest iPad we have ever made'.

No wonder
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:11 AM   #15
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Remember, if you have not had your iPad longer than two weeks you can take it back....
Not where I am hailing from, you can't
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote