Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 10:44 PM   #1
robert!
robert! began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
squares instead of numbers in iBooks/iPad

I am trying to import a PDF into calibre to convert to my iPad..

however whenever I do this, I see squares instead of numbers...
I dont know what it could be, and I dont know how to resolve it...

I am not technical, so if you know the solution, please keep it simple!

thanks,
robert! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
maybe take this over to the calibre forum as your problem is importing into calibre?
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 10:50 PM   #3
robert!

squares instead of numbers in iBooks/iPad

I am trying to import a PDF into calibre to convert to my iPad..

however whenever I do this, I see squares instead of numbers...
I dont know what it could be, and I dont know how to resolve it...

I am not technical, so if you know the solution, please keep it simple!

thanks,
Old 07-29-2010, 10:59 PM   #4
robert!

let me re-state my problem..

after I convert my PDF in Calibre and sync with iPad, I open it up as a book in the iPad and every character that should be a number is actually a square..
Old 07-29-2010, 11:27 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's because your PDf liely uses a special math font to display the numbers. Conversion wont be able to handle that.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 11:40 PM   #6
robert!

so there is no fix?
Old 07-29-2010, 11:41 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, use an app that can read PDF on your device.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:28 AM   #8
robert!

i can read PDF, but in iPad i cant highlight passages in PDF...

are there any other applications that would convert this PDF into a book?
Old 07-30-2010, 12:31 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There are lots of applications that convert PDF, whether any of them will be able to successfully convert this particular PDF, I can't say. Try a few. Just google PDF converters
Old 07-30-2010, 06:49 AM   #10
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

iAnnotate PDF is available for iPad.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:07 AM   #11
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Probably the numbers are specialized figure representations (proportional/tabular old-style, proportional lining), and are wrongly encoded in the Private Use Area --- is the .pdf publicly available? What fonts/versions are being used?

(And why use that as a source? Can't you get an original file?).

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:26 PM   #12
robert!

by the way, Calibre is wonderful!

I have used it successfully a dozen or so times with zero issues, and am grateful for it!