Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 12:16 AM   #1
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Stanza for iPad out!!!

Stanza has been updated to be iPhone and iPad compatible and the iPad version is gorgeous people!

Link
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:18 AM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough

it does look great!

Last edited by kjk; 06-04-2010 at 12:22 AM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 12:26 AM   #3
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
wow, this is good and totally unexpected news, considering previously they said it would not be updated. I wonder what made them change their mind. now the other apps are going to have to step up to compete.

played with it for a few minutes. loaded conent from calibre and oreilly.com just fine. haven't experienced one crash. going to try it out all weekend but could get me to ditch ibooks and good reader..

Last edited by scottjl; 06-04-2010 at 12:40 AM.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:28 AM   #4
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
WOAH YEAH!!!

Edit: So, from the description:
  • Added support for PDF, DjVu, and CBR...
  • Support for adding books via iTunes File Sharing
  • Support for new "Open in" methods, so you can open ePubs from email or websites.

Hooray! And I was a naysayer too, having lost faith in Lexcycle.

Last edited by nikkie; 06-04-2010 at 12:32 AM.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:32 AM   #5
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I had Stanza on iPhone but never really used it. I don't know what I'm missing. What are its uses and advantages?
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 12:35 AM   #6
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I had Stanza on iPhone but never really used it. I don't know what I'm missing. What are its uses and advantages?
Maggie,
Stanza was one of the first real apps on the iPhone that supported user content with the greatest of ease. And once Calibre started supporting it with their server, it was quite easy to manage your library as well.

And of course, my personal favorite feature...customizable left and right clicks
Old 06-04-2010, 12:37 AM   #7
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

I was able to download my nook books and load them into Stanza & then use the Name + CC to unlock the books. The books did download as pdbs, I noticed.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:40 AM   #8
kjk

Adjustable margins at last
Old 06-04-2010, 12:47 AM   #9
da_jane
Evangelist

Here are some screenshots:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0145.PNG
Views:	491
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	52733   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0144.PNG
Views:	417
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	52734   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0143.PNG
Views:	499
Size:	460.9 KB
ID:	52735   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0142.PNG
Views:	471
Size:	424.9 KB
ID:	52736   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0141.PNG
Views:	449
Size:	417.0 KB
ID:	52737  
Old 06-04-2010, 12:53 AM   #10
Mosherix
Enthusiast
Mosherix doesn't litterMosherix doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad, PRS 300
Got it! Night mode looks great. I did not quite like the white on black from iBooks.

Time to delete some apps.
Mosherix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:11 AM   #11
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Super news! I'm off to download it.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:21 AM   #12
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
I'm disappointed that the status bar on iPhone switched from black to grey/white. I always read with a white-on-black background and like to keep the status bar visible so I can keep an eye on battery usage and the time, but now the status bar is too bright and draws attention when it shouldn't. Oddly enough the status bar is black on the iPad, so hopefully this is something that can be addressed with a simple bugfix release.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:19 AM   #13
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Thumbs down

It's a nice surpise that it's iPad friendly but it's still the same old Stanza for me. I've never liked its epub handling of my files and it still is the same - The only epub reader that does this (is there some configuration setting I'm not seeing?). No svg cover support either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stanza_epub.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	52746   Click image for larger version

Name:	ibook_epub.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	52747  
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:21 AM   #14
kilikini
Enthusiast
kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3, KFire, iPad, iPhone
Has anyone else lost the ability to open a PDF email attachment after upgrading to Stanza's iPad version? I used to be able to email myself a PDF, and it would either open (I presume with the native iPad PDF support) or ask if I wanted to open it with GoodReader; now only the cover or first page downloads, and I can't get it to open at all.
kilikini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:34 AM   #15
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
First impression, it's fast. Second impression, it takes awhile to "download" files (pubs i've thron into th app throug iTunes) and a large white screen with only text is kinda awkward, especially with margins removed.
It couldn't handle some pubs with covers. And landscape is not two pages, but just landscape. Really awkward to read. The sentences can be too long
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad, stanza