Device: Sony Touch
5 Things That Will Make E-Readers Better in 2010

From Wired.com:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...tories+2%29%29
thefanmyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Thanks for the link. But isn't it a bit late for the article. Didn't we knew about those improvements last year already?
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 10:52 PM   #3
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Oh was hoping for some intriguing new insight. Though I disagree with the first point of having a touchscreen only device. There does need to be some hardware buttons as tactile feedback, I feel, is important (much like flipping the page of a book).
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:26 AM   #4
FireRunner
eAddict
FireRunner is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
I think only two things need to be improved:

1. Speed of the UI and executing functions.
2. Screen fading. Right now all of the readers flicker.
FireRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:36 AM   #5
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
Quote:
2. Screen fading. Right now all of the readers flicker.
My jetBook doesn't flicker that I know of so I'm guessing you mean eInk. What do you mean by flicker?

Anyway, I thought it was a good article for the general public and not as off base or brand cheerleading as most.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2010, 04:09 AM   #6
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I was impressed that E-Ink addressed contrast in the article, and I really look forward to seeing what they can put out this year to keep a grip on their market. I have some doubts about their ability to speed up the displays, but the contrast improvements would be very interesting.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:15 AM   #7
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I was interested in the item about SW but it's the same nonsense about interactivity and beautiful interface, not a real library handle, showing metadata, searching books, marking books as read, a real management.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:17 AM   #8
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
It's funny what they focus on, isn't it? Despite some of the things being "nice to have", for the actual process of reading - which is what I spend the vast amount of time with the reader doing (the clue's in the name, I guess) - I'm only bothered about their last item - better contrast.

After that, or perhaps even before that, what's really important is easy access to high quality content at a fair price. In other words, getting stuff to read.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:44 AM   #9
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Still this fixation with touch screens. Why? They are more trouble than they're worth. I don't want to move my hands to swipe the screen for some poor virtual approximation of turning a page, when it is much simpler to keep my thumb on a page turn button, and to press it when necessary. I don't want to continuously have to wipe finger smears off a screen which I have to keep clean because I am trying to READ the damn thing.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:59 AM   #10
maggie*
PRS addicted...
maggie* began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Still this fixation with touch screens. Why? They are more trouble than they're worth. I don't want to move my hands to swipe the screen for some poor virtual approximation of turning a page, when it is much simpler to keep my thumb on a page turn button, and to press it when necessary. I don't want to continuously have to wipe finger smears off a screen which I have to keep clean because I am trying to READ the damn thing.
My thoughts exactly! I'm perfectly happy with what my READER does, it's made for that! Ok, maybe they can improve contrast (I'm happy with eink, but any improvement in that area is good), or the software or speed of response...
Everything else is not necessary for a reader, I don't need video, I don't need color for reading the equivalent of a paperback!

Just my opinion of course
maggie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:59 AM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
OMG, just another Ipad promotion in disguise.

As far as touch-screen, yeah, it can be cool (mostly because it is programmable) but only if it does not interfere with the clarity (which it does for most current readers).

I think the most important thing will be some of the new display technologies that may allow for color and touch without degrading the contrast etc.

We'll have to see what the future brings.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:02 AM   #12
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
There are lots of benefits to a touch screen outside of a page swipe gesture. Fingerprint smears will be inevitable, but problems arising from them can be blamed more on incompatible surface finishing.

I'm sure there will remain options that retain button-centric operation much as the options today. Actually, I'd be kinda tickled to see a backside touchpad like on the Notion Ink Adam, though multi-touch would without a doubt be the ideal method of control for most things.

If you want crippled devices, they're already available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie* View Post
My thoughts exactly! I'm perfectly happy with what my READER does, it's made for that! Ok, maybe they can improve contrast (I'm happy with eink, but any improvement in that area is good), or the software or speed of response...
Everything else is not necessary for a reader, I don't need video, I don't need color for reading the equivalent of a paperback!

Just my opinion of course
If you're happy with what you have, then don't buy other products. What you have is not good enough for a lot of people. Let them buy the touchscreen gizmos that you don't want, and you can sit happy with what you have.

Last edited by LDBoblo; 02-18-2010 at 08:06 AM.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:45 AM   #13
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Well, I realised part of the "why touchscreen" when seeing michael dahan presenting the orizon. Touch screen mean moving though menus way faster. one touch instead of "click click click click validate".
And of course, note typing with a virtual keybord
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #14
FireRunner
eAddict
FireRunner is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
I prefer the touchscreen over buttons because the buttons on the side crack and break. I saw two demos with cracked side buttons on the Nook. On the Kindle I noticed the version with the knob can loosen up or snap off. Granted the touchscreen can crack or malfunction, I still feel better than using the physical keys.
FireRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:38 AM   #15
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
It's funny what they focus on, isn't it? Despite some of the things being "nice to have", for the actual process of reading - which is what I spend the vast amount of time with the reader doing (the clue's in the name, I guess) - I'm only bothered about their last item - better contrast.
Well, for reading novels I agree. I've got no need for it on my Kindle that I just read novels in bed with.

For larger screen devices I'd use for my work reading, I want a touch screen--more specifically a stylus screen as I need to be able to highlight and jot notes in the margins etc.

But that's also moot as I don't want a reader for that purpose anyway. I want a tablet that can do that, as well as e-mail, internet, video etc.

So yeah, I don't see much need for touch screens on dedicated reader devices.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote