Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-07-2012, 04:39 AM   #1
Trahison
Trahison began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Kobo eReader isn't showing any added books.

Last week, I was able to easily add PDF documents from my computer to my Kobo eReader by manually copying and pasting them. Simply put, now I can't. I can't add anything at all. Kobo won't show any books (PDF or EPUB) added via pasting, Adobe Digital Editions (the device is registered to Adobe DE as well as the Kobo launcher), or Calibre. They all transfer successfully and appear on the device in My Computer and also in Adobe DE, but I can't access them on the actual device itself as they just aren't there.

I have reset the device twice, with re-registrations. The free books from the Kobo launcher are the only ones that bother to show up at all, but I bought the thing to comfortably read all the PDFs and EPUBs I have lying around my computer -- the ones I could easily place onto the device last week when I purchased it. I'm becoming frustrated with this increasingly annoying device and I have no idea what could be wrong as I'm not doing anything differently. Does anyone know what's going on here and how I can fix it?
Trahison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:08 AM   #2
kumaryu
Zealot
kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300, Kobo: Touch, Glo, Arc, Aura, Glo HD, Nexus7, nergy Pro HD
When starting to use a new Kobo ebook reader or after a hardware reset, you need to "register" a user for the device using the Kobo Desktop application on your PC or Macintosh. *

Registration using the Kobo Desktop application "activates" the database on the device to recognise the files that you copy or transfer onto the device. Without this activation, the files that you transfer to the device using Calibre or file copy will not appear in the "library" of your device.

*There are unoffical ways to "hack" this activation but unless you have specific reasons for doing so, I would suggest using the Kobo Desktop application first.

Last edited by kumaryu; 07-07-2012 at 06:11 AM.
kumaryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
Trahison

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumaryu View Post
When starting to use a new Kobo ebook reader or after a hardware reset, you need to "register" a user for the device using the Kobo Desktop application on your PC or Macintosh. *

Registration using the Kobo Desktop application "activates" the database on the device to recognise the files that you copy or transfer onto the device. Without this activation, the files that you transfer to the device using Calibre or file copy will not appear in the "library" of your device.

*There are unoffical ways to "hack" this activation but unless you have specific reasons for doing so, I would suggest using the Kobo Desktop application first.
Thanks for the response, but I made sure to register my Kobo to both the desktop application and Adobe DE (which is why I was initially able to add books, until suddenly I couldn't), and I have done so after resetting the device too. Everything was working smoothly for a week.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
If you had various books hanging around, and one or more of those books had something wrong with it (not entirely uncommon with books obtained in non-standard ways), the presence of that "bad" book can screw with everything else.

I would try removing everything from the SD card and doing a factory reset. Then add in the books in such a way that you can tell what book is screwing things up. Some folks do this by adding them one by one, others by doing them in batches and then narrowing that down to smaller groupings once they figure out which batch it is in. It's quite the job if you happen to be one of those folks who have thousands of books to sideload.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:47 AM   #5
Trahison

Thanks for the responses. I tried resetting a few more times before figuring out that the problem seems to be with Adobe DE. Whenever I try to add a book using Adobe, I am no longer able to add books at all, using any method. I'm not sure why this is as both my device and Adobe were updated and I made sure to register my Kobo to Adobe, but I will be using Calibre from now on. Thanks again for the suggestions.
Advert
Old 07-13-2012, 12:57 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
When you say "Adobe was upgraded" I was not aware of there being any upgrades to Adobe; I thought the PC ADE was still on 1.7.2.1131
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:39 AM   #7
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
When you say "Adobe was upgraded" I was not aware of there being any upgrades to Adobe; I thought the PC ADE was still on 1.7.2.1131
There is a beta build of ADE 1.8 available. I thought about downloading it but Adobe was very clear on the fact it may not behave as expected on the download site.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:10 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
My point exactly...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote